First time and long stay in DR..

Chrismic

Mar 28, 2008
Hello

I want to visit DR for the first time in my life.
I would like to stay from 4 to 8 weeks in DR.

I don't know if I shall come in the beginning of September or November ?
Which time will you recommend to go ?

I am a 48 years old single man from Norway.
My budget is not to high, I can use around 60 US dollar each day, that include room and food and everything else.

So I would like to stay for most of the time in one place, and hope I can get a good deal with make a contract for 4 to 6 weeks.
But I would also like to stay some days in the capitol and maybe a day trip to Haiti.

I will be alone and live little quit, but hope I meet some other tourists and native, can make me understandable in Spanish.
And hope to live not far from a little town,with some stores, supermarket, restaurants, bar and disco and a beach etc..
And would like to have a room with internett (have my own laptop), satelitte tv and air conditon, possibility to make some food in the room, like break first ,with some fried eggs would be a pluss.

What will be cheapest and best, a cheap hotel or an all inclusive hotel ?
I am afraid A2 hotels can be little distance from towns and then boring after a long time.
And how do I make good bargains with long time stay from 4 weeks and more. Directly at the hotel lobby or ?

Hope you can come with some recommendation to where to live, and if you believe I can survive on my 60 Us. dollar budget.

I have been recommend Hotel Paradiso de Colon at Sousa beach and Cabarte , seems like a nice hotel with good prices for long time stay, What do think about this hotel and have you visit this hotel and can recommend it ?

Hotels Sosua Dominican Republic hostels youth hotel apartment cheap accomodation

I will come from Santiago de Cuba, have stay more than 3 years in Cuba together the last 10 years, so I believe I will understand the culture in DR.

If some can recommend a cheap, good and safe hotel in Santo Domingo , will I be happy for that.
I have tried to find information about tourist visa, I have understand I will get 30 days at arrival , but understand I can stay 90 days on a tourist visa, must I renew it at immigration after one month ?

At last which DR guidebook are best to buy, Lonely Planet ?

I really hope some will come with good advice and are grateful for all help.

Thanks..... ;)

Borec

Dec 20, 2005
At last which DR guidebook are best to buy, Lonely Planet ?

QUOTE]

Probably the best, but bit out of date.

As to teh visa, you get 30 days, but you can stay as long as you want, on the way out you will be charged U$10 fine. Much easier then trying to get extension, which will involve long visit of immigration office in santo domingo.

as to your budget of U$60, not sure if that will be enough, it could, depends on how much beer you gonna drink and what you gonna eat adn what you gonna do the whole day. DR is not exactly cheap.

wishingiwasthere

Nov 19, 2005
I would personally suggest the Delphin - next to the PLayro is Sosua.
Tourist area - local transport to major towns and the manager there will do long stays for $20 a night. Basic but functional rooms and close to everything.
I think you should be able to live a basic life style on that money, room, food and drink will not be a problem - but it depends on how you want to "party" of a night time!