Research, budget, AND fun in the sun?

LadyEph87

May 3, 2008
Hello,

As many of you who have already helped me out know, I'm traveling to DR next month to do research on Dominican food and identity. I'm planning on spending two weeks in Santiago and two weeks in SD. While most of my time there will be spent conduct my research within these two cities, I'd also like to hit the beach for a bit during my stay. (I will not have access to a car.) What's my best plan of attack? How can I get there? How much will it cost (the more inexpensive the better...I'm a student on a pretty tight budget)? How long can I expect it to take? Is it possible to make a day trip out of it or will I have to find nearby accommodations?

Thanks in advance for your help and suggestions!

Matilda

RIP Lindsay
Sep 13, 2006
Best beaches from SD are to the east in Boca Chica or a bit further, Juan Dolio. You could make a day trip using the public buses for around 80 RD$ to Juan Dolio (45 mins) and less to Boca Chica (25 mins), or you can stay over. I don't know about Boca Chica but Juan Dolio has fairly cheap rooms at the moment as it is off season. Try the all inclusive Hotel Talanquera or Coral Costa Caribe so you know you will not have to spend anything on food or drink, or you can rent an apartment for around 45-50 us$ a night.

Dolores1

DR1
May 3, 2000
www.
Would suggest you get your work finished early enough to have at least two days off to visit beaches east of Santo Domingo and another two days to visit beaches north of Santiago. Suggest you then stay at Dominicus town and walk to the beach, and in Cabarete or Sosua, where you can also walk to the each from one of the many non-all inclusive hotels.

From Santiago to Cabarete is easy because Caribe Tours or Metro will get you there. To Dominicus, could take you three hours because you have to catch a bus to La Romana (less than an hour and a half trip) and from there get the minibus to Dominicus (another half an hour).

Of course, the beaches closer to Santo Domingo are Boca Chica, Guayacanes and Juan Dolio. Or Caribbean Sun at Embassy Beach, between Boca Chica and Guayacanes (if you like a wavy beach). Those could be done in a day trip -- buses leave from Parque Enriquillo off Av. Duarte.

RonS

Bronze
Oct 18, 2004
Don't forget the beaches on the north coast! They are spectacular! A 4 hour Caribe Tour bus or Guagua ride from Santo Domingo will take you there inexpensively, and you will have a wonderful time. I suggest a few days in Las Terranas at one of the inexpensive hotels there. The beaches nearer to SD are fine, but the beaches on the Samana Peninsula are outstanding!

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Uh, my friend? You are an hour and a bit from Sosua. Play your cards right and you might get to Punta Rucia....
Buses are dirt cheap...and good rides, you need a sweater! for the AC...

HB