Visitor visa to Canada refused. need advice on how to re-apply please.

liam1

Bronze
Jun 9, 2004
just got back from Canadian Embassy in SD and application for TEMPORARY resident visa was refused.

here is a little background on the case:
we have known each other for a year and a half and we got married January 09, 2008. she is 20 and i am 27. she is currently a student in what would be considered 13Th grade in Canada, and next year plans to start university, therefore we applied for TEMPORARY visa with entry date August 15Th and exit date November 15Th at the latest, depending when she would need to be back for university.

on the refusal letter the reason given was "you have not established to my satisfaction that you would leave Canada at the end of your stay as a temporary resident".

we have gathered all the documents necessary, personal, school, bank statements (she has around 100.000 RD on her account, and i have submitted my bank statement where i have around 100K US to prove that i can financially support her while we are in Canada).

i have applied for multiple entry visa since i travel quite often to Canada and would like her to accompany me as much as possible.

we will re-apply, the only question i have is for which visa to apply? i know if we re-apply for the same one, TEMPORARY resident it would probably be refused again since nothing has changed with our situation. if we re-apply for PERMANENT resident i believe we would probably get it since we are legally married and i have the means to support her, but it would take longer to process and we were planning to visit Canada this summer. also if we apply for PERMANENT resident visa it would not be 100% truthful since we have no plans to live in Canada, she will start university next year and i will hopefully start some sort of a business here.

i was very frustrated today since nobody in SD was able to tell me anything; "we don't do immigration here, call Haiti." i wish there was a way where i would be able to post bail so to say and guaranty her return or something.

please advise me what do you think is the best for us to do. re-apply for the same visa which is 100% what we want; for her to be able to accompany me on my trips, or bend the truth a little and apply for PERMANENT visa, which we do not need/want at the moment, but would most likely get?

thank you. :cry::cry::cry:

Rocky

Honorificabilitudinitatibus
Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
I know nothing about CDN requirements, but can't you just get her a tourist visa for a few weeks?
I have Dominicana friends who travel abroad all the time.
They get their passports, a letter from their employer, maybe a bank account with a bit of money in it (30K pesos?).
Can't you do the same for Canada?
She surely doesn't need a 2 month visa, as her university courses will surely begin in early to mid September, won't they?

liam1

Bronze
Jun 9, 2004
i am afraid they will have same concern if we go that route; that she would enter Canada and not leave.

Rocky

Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
i am afraid they will have same concern if we go that route; that she would enter Canada and not leave.
Maybe so, but like I said, I have friends who travel abroad frequently.
I remember Milka going to Italy, Germany and Brazil, at different times, always requiring a tourist visa, and never a problem.
The right documents and a trip to Santo Domingo is all it took.

Berzin

Banned
Nov 17, 2004
It is harder, MUCH harder to get to North America even if you have money in the bank, a letter from an employer and all that other stuff.

I have a friend in Santo Domingo who is a multimillionaire in US dollars and his wife was refused a visitors' visa, even though she has more than enough documentation to be allowed to go wherever she wants.

But no dice. So even if this situation is unfortunate, it is not surprising.

SKing

Silver
Nov 22, 2007
It is harder, MUCH harder to get to North America even if you have money in the bank, a letter from an employer and all that other stuff.

I have a friend in Santo Domingo who is a multimillionaire in US dollars and his wife was refused a visitors' visa, even though she has more than enough documentation to be allowed to go wherever she wants.

But no dice. So even if this situation is unfortunate, it is not surprising.

I remember you mentioning this lady before I think
I have a friend in Santiago that has some sort of Visa "B" or something like that but he comes here all the time and sometimes when he tells them he only needs 2 weeks, they give him 2 months...and I don't know his personal finances to the tee but I am SURE that he doesn't have much money in the bank.
Is this process just a roll of the dice or what?
That's really sad...

AnnaC

Gold
Jan 2, 2002
Canada issues extremely few temporary resident visas (visitor visa). The reason they gave your wife is what the majority of people are told as well. Sad but true.

More info here Welcome to Citizenship and Immigration Canada

No point discussing other countries because it's Canadian Immigration you have to deal with in this case.

Good luck

Last edited:

liam1

Bronze
Jun 9, 2004
i sent an email to Immigration Office in Haiti last night and they have already replied. very good on their side!

my email to them:

Dear Sir/Madam,

I just got back from Canadian Embassy in Santo Domingo, DominicanRepublic, where I was informed that my wife's application for TEMPORARYResident Visa was refused.

I would kindly ask if You could take a few moments to read this email, and to help point us in the right direction.

Here is a little background on our case: We have known each other for a year and a half and we got married January 09, 2008. She is 20 and I am 27. She is currently a student in what would be considered 13th grade in Canada, and next year she plans to start university, therefore we applied for TEMPORARY Visa with entry date August 15th (the school will finish late July) and exit date November 15th at the latest, depending when she would need to be back for university.

On the refusal letter the reason given was "You have not established tomy satisfaction that you would leave Canada at the end of your stay as a temporary resident".

We have gathered all the documents necessary, personal, school, bank statements... (I have submitted my bank statement where I have around 100.000 Dollars to prove that I can financially support her while we arein Canada).

We have applied for 'Multiple Entry Visa' since I travel to Canada quite often, about once every 2 months, and I would like my wife to accompany me as much as possible, depending on her university obligations.

We will re-apply, the only question we have is for which visa to apply? We know if we re-apply for the same one, TEMPORARY Resident Visa, it would probably be refused again since nothing has changed with our situation. If we re-apply for PERMANENT Resident Visa I believe we would probably get it since I am a Canadian Citizen, we are legally married and I have the means to support her, but it would take longer to process the application, and we were planning to visit Canada this summer. Also if we apply for PERMANENT Resident Visa it would not be 100% what wewant/need, since at the moment we have no plans to live in Canada; she will start university and I am in process of getting business license to hopefully start a business here in Dominican Republic. We are afraid if we apply for Tourist Visa you would have same concerns; that she would enter Canada and not leave.

In the Santo Domingo office nobody was able to tell us anything; "Wedon't do immigration here, call Haiti."

Please advise us from your experience, what is the best for us to do; re-apply for the same Temporary Resident Visa, which is exactly what we need, but probably won't get, or apply for PERMANENT Visa, which we would most likely get, but do not need, since we do not plan to live in Canada any time soon? Thank You for your time.

Sincerely yours,

their reply:

Good day,

Unless you, as the Canadian spouse, are strongly established in your wife's country (employment, property, several years there, etc.), the officer will likely think that a temporary resident visa application for your wife could be an attempt to bring her to reside with you in Canada. In that sense, if you are not very well-established, chances are future applications will also be denied. Nevertheless, even if you are a Canadian citizen residing abroad, this does not prevent you from sponsoring her for permanent residence. While you do not need to be residing in Canada at the time of the application, you will have to demonstrate to the officer that you intend to reside in Canada once she would receive her permanent residence visa (lease agreement, job offer,etc.). In a balance of probabilities, your chances for her to qualify for a permanent resident visa are probably higher, given the details you provided. If/once she will have obtained her permanent residence status, she will be required to spend at least 2 years physically inCanada for every 5-year period (and it does not have to be 2 years in arow, but cumulated within that timeframe), so this would still allow you to spend most of your time in the Dominican Republic, if you wish, without her losing that status.

Sincerely, PRNCE (IM)

Last edited:

AnnaC

Gold
Jan 2, 2002
I'm glad they replied to your email.

I guess the best route would be to sponsor her for a PRV and then try to fill in the 2 years physically in Canada during a 5 year period.

We have a few people going through the process right now in other threads and they can be a big help and support to you. But she might not get it for your summer trip

Best of luck

sylindr

Nov 29, 2007
What is the email address to immigration in Haiti. WE just got refused a visa because of my boyfriend's "travel history" (which they don't even ask for) and " his reason for visiting Canada"what ever that means!! He met all of the requirements financially as did I. I was told by immigration here that sometimes they just refuse people. I would love to be able to communicate with Haiti and see what we would need to do differently to qualify

AnnaC

Gold
Jan 2, 2002
What is the email address to immigration in Haiti. WE just got refused a visa because of my boyfriend's "travel history" (which they don't even ask for) and " his reason for visiting Canada"what ever that means!! He met all of the requirements financially as did I. I was told by immigration here that sometimes they just refuse people. I would love to be able to communicate with Haiti and see what we would need to do differently to qualify

Haiti deals with Immigration to Canada. Visitor visas are handled at the Canadian Embassy in Santo Domingo Dominican Republic :: Home :: Discover Canada :: Visas and Immigration

Rocky

Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
Makes you wonder if they do it just for fun.
I mean, Haiti has nothing, nada and it's a hellhole.
Maybe it gives them pleasure to refuse folks and feel powerful.

AnnaC

Gold
Jan 2, 2002
Makes you wonder if they do it just for fun.
I mean, Haiti has nothing, nada and it's a hellhole.
Maybe it gives them pleasure to refuse folks and feel powerful.

Rocky it's not Haiti that handles visitor visas. Haiti is for Immigration.

The Canadian Embassy in Santo Domingo must sure be raking in the money only to deny them though.

Berzin

Banned
Nov 17, 2004
I have a friend who is a millionaire(in dollars, not pesos) whose wife has been continually denied a visitors' visa to the US.

She has more than enough to meet the minimum criteria-house and car under her name, children in private school, plenty of money in her own personal account, etc. and she cannot go to the US to visit family members.

She has gotten denied time and time again for no good reason. So I understand the OPs' frustration, but even when people meet the requirements they still get denied.

sylindr

Nov 29, 2007
yes I think it is just a money grab! Very aggravating and no recourse just have to keep blindly trying!

liam1

Bronze
Jun 9, 2004
the email in Haiti is: port-au-prince-im-enquiry@international.gc.ca

i think the biggest problem about the whole process is that there are not clear requirements that would guaranty one an entry, and at the end it comes down to the official who receives the application to decide. if he/she happens to be in a bad mood that day the applicant might get refused even if all the requirements are met!

liam1

Bronze
Jun 9, 2004
Haiti deals with Immigration to Canada. Visitor visas are handled at the Canadian Embassy in Santo Domingo

the Embassy in Santo Domingo only receives the application (i picked the application up at the Puerto Plata office but had to hand it in in SD), they take the application and the applicant's passport, make sure the processing fee is paid and then send the docs to Haiti where the decision is made.

AnnaC

Gold
Jan 2, 2002
Thanks Liam,
I was under the impression that since they can get a "denied" letter back so fast compared to immigrating to Canada that the applications never make it out of the SD office. ;)

donnaparadise

Sep 1, 2003
paralaestrella.com
It is almost impossible to get a visitor's visa for a Dominican going to Canada. Canada refuses almost all of the requests and often once they refuse once, will continue refusing, without explanation.

There are countless Dominicans who went to Canada several years ago on Visitors' Visas and never came back and slowly Canada began making it more and more difficult until even if you are married, it can take from 1 1/2 to 2 1/2 years to get a Permanent Spousal Visa.

All the paperwork is done in Santo Domingo, but it is then sent to Haiti for processing. You are very lucky to have received an answer as recently there was notification on the website (not sure if it is still there) to not email asking about status of visas.

I have friends who married and applied and waited more than 2 years before they were able to finally get entry into Canada and they were both extremely well qualified. Others have just been turned down with no explanation other than the same one given and never did get there at all.

I really think you have to forget about getting your wife up there this summer - I doubt that has any chance of happening at all, given Canada's policies. They are very, very different from the US policy and totally different from European countries, although some of them are toughening up their requirements of late as well.

liam1

Bronze
Jun 9, 2004
Europe is way easier! my wife's sister is married to an Italian guy (for about 3-4 years now) and within 3 months of officially getting married she was in Italy on PERMANENT Visa.