alisei hotel or Playa colibri?

ryan

May 17, 2008
Trying to decide whether to stay at Alisei hotel or Playa Colibri hotel for 8 days (will be with 2 other people, so we'll be getting 2 bedroom condo)

Alisei looks a little nicer, but the price at Colbri is like 77 dollars cheaper, which translates to more than 600 less for our time there.

However, if Alisei is worth it, I'll go for Alisei.

What about location, are they close?

Can you walk to town (terrenas) and.or playa bonita from both?

thanks for your adivce in advance!
R.

drny

Jun 12, 2007
I stayed at Playa Colibri a couple of months ago. After staying there I wouldn't pay 77 more per day to stay anywhere else in Las Terrenas unless it were amazingly better or all inclusive. Playa Colibri is very nice and you can't go wrong for the price.

Juniper

Apr 15, 2004
It depends on what you are looking for. If you are looking to be comfortable, have a nice bed with good new linen, good pillows, airconditioner, comfortable furniture, nice
big terrace, withing walking distance to restaurants and town, then I would choose
Alisei.

On the other hand, if you don't mind an uncomfortable mattress, scruffy flat pillows, old scruffy linen, VERY uncomfortable furniture, small terraces, no airconditioner, much further to walk to restaurants and town, then you should choose Colibri.

I love Alisei and think it's worth every penny.

RonS

Bronze
Oct 18, 2004
lol. Nice Juniper.

I haven't stayed at the Alisei yet, but I have stayed at the Colibri many times over several years. The Alisei is owned by the former owners of the Colibri and is designed along similar lines. From what I've been able to tell, the Alisei is nicer and has a wonderful restaurant. The former staff of the Colibar [the former restaurant at the Colibri] is now at the restaurant at the Alisei, and the food is quite good. I'm nto sure whether the Colibri has reopened the Colibar yet. The prices at the Colibri have escalated in the last few years and I think now it is overpriced. The Alisei is closer to town but not that much farther than the Colibri. Both are within walking distance.

If you intend to hike over the hill from LT to Playa Bonita, the Colibri is closer to the trail that leads there [at least you could hike the last time I was there, but they are building a golf course, etc., there now, so that may have changed]. Your better option is a motorconcho to Playa Bonita for a few pesos. The price is the same from either residence.

You're going to love LT!

drloca

Silver
Oct 26, 2004
It depends on what you are looking for. If you are looking to be comfortable, have a nice bed with good new linen, good pillows, airconditioner, comfortable furniture, nice
big terrace, withing walking distance to restaurants and town, then I would choose
Alisei.

On the other hand, if you don't mind an uncomfortable mattress, scruffy flat pillows, old scruffy linen, VERY uncomfortable furniture, small terraces, no airconditioner, much further to walk to restaurants and town, then you should choose Colibri.

I love Alisei and think it's worth every penny.

I do agree about Alisei being top notch but I havent stayed at Colibri so I cant compare.

We went pretty much everywhere in the vicinity on foot which we found great...definately accessible.

And did I mention Baraonda the fabulous restaurant there? As well as many great restaurants along the beach road too.

Juniper

Apr 15, 2004
The latest about the restaurant Baraonda at Alisei is that they have re-done their menu and the prices aren't really higher than any of the other places were the food is decent.

Graziano, the former manager of the restaurants at Alisei and Colibri has opened his own restaurant and it's called "FANTASTIKO". I have been there many times and it is really FANTASTIKO!

The Colibar has reopened and is being run by some French people. The food is good and bad. The reason I say that is because like so many places in LT, there is no consistency. :ermm:

drloca

Silver
Oct 26, 2004
The latest about the restaurant Baraonda at Alisei is that they have re-done their menu and the prices aren't really higher than any of the other places were the food is decent.

Graziano, the former manager of the restaurants at Alisei and Colibri has opened his own restaurant and it's called "FANTASTIKO". I have been there many times and it is really FANTASTIKO!

The Colibar has reopened and is being run by some French people. The food is good and bad. The reason I say that is because like so many places in LT, there is no consistency. :ermm:

Actually, we found that the quality of the food in Baraonda was actually better than most places we tried in town and the value for $$$ couldnt be beaten, in fact, we generally spent less overall when eating there. Also, their portion sizes were more than generous and they always offered us a complimentary dish, either dessert or appetizer.

RonS

Bronze
Oct 18, 2004
Juniper: Where is Graziano's new restaurant? I'm heading to LT in three weeks and would like to stop in, say hello, and get a some homemade pasta.

Juniper

Apr 15, 2004
FANTASTIkO!

Graziano's is on the second floor of the Palapa hotel, right across from Punta Popi. He is having a Dominican dancing couple dancing around the restaurant Friday and Saturday nights (merengue salsa and bachata); and you can do a little dancing yourself if you wish. It's fun!

Juniper

billf

May 19, 2008
what is the verdict here?

I am trying to make the same decision as Ryan --Colibri or Alisei or possibly a smaller villa through bealocation. We are a family of four (kids 11 and 13)
also any suggestions on where to fly into Santo Domingo or Puerto Plata. And is it best to just rent a car?
Thanks for any help or suggestions.
Bill

Last edited:

drloca

Silver
Oct 26, 2004
I am trying to make the same decision as Ryan --Colibri or Alisei or possibly a smaller villa through bealocation. We are a family of four (kids 11 and 13)
also any suggestions on where to fly into Santo Domingo or Puerto Plata. And is it best to just rent a car?
Bill

Would you not be able to take advantage of a direct flight from your area to El Portillo in Samana?

dahlia

Nov 21, 2006
Playa Colibri for sure

Bill

Well, Billf, with kids that age I wouldn't hesitate and I'd choose Playa Colibri mainly because of the beach : gorgious beach just in front of the Hotel, safe swimming space between the beach and the reef, easy lunch right on the beach - and a wonderful tropical garden in the residence. And with the money you save you make a lot of excursions that will please them - and you - so much they will never forget.(quad adventures, tropical rios , Los Haitises etc)
El Catey is of course the best place to land if you have that oppportunity - Otherwise thanks to the new road Sto Domingo is no longer so far and I think both Puerto Plata or SDQ are OK.
Rent a car... if you have never been there I would suggest you avoid it from airport to LT ... you will soon understand why .. although you may rent a car for one day once in a while to visit the country around LT once you understood how people drive here...
Don't forget your snorkeling material ! and enjoy your vacation.

Juniper

Apr 15, 2004
If you have money restrictions, then I agree with dahlia. You can always siwtch to Alisei once you are in LT if you are disatisfied.

I also agree that coming thru El Catey is your best bet.

But whatever you decide....DO NOT RENT A CAR to drive to LT, specially if you decide to come thru Santo Domingo or Puerto Plata. Remember that if you break down there is no AAA, and no DOT tow trucks or police to assist you on the road. Most of the area you will be traveling in do not have cell phone signal. Someone would eventually stop to help you out but not before you go thru a lot of aggravation. And God forbid if you have an accident, there are no ambulances that would come right away to take you to the nearest hospital (and there are none around). What about the language, do you speak Spanish?

Juniper

Mar 27, 2006
I've stayed at both places several times and they really are different in many ways. Overall, the amenities at Alisei are worth paying for. It is a MUCH more comfortable place to hang out at and it is a closer walk to the restaurant district. I also need access to the internet and really need the A/C. Colibri has a nicer beach in front of it but all of the beaches are completely open. In my opinion, spend the extra $600 and be comfortable.

billf

May 19, 2008
I am not having sucess finding flights to El Catey from US. From Denver by Miami I can get to Pueta Plata ($607) or SDQ (500$) To answer Juniper my kids speak spanish and i have rented a car in Mexico on several occasions.
So options then --fly from SDQ to El Porillo or take bus and then rent car in LT.
One more think i was just looking at las palmas al mar. I know it's across the street from the beach but the beach at punta popy look nice and not as crowded towards el portillo