North coast...South coast ??? Which?

deborahs

May 18, 2008
1st time...mature couple...early June...
I've read:
*Atlantic side dark sand & water with surf...
*Caribbean side...white sand, blue, calm water.

We live in southwest Florida and appreciate surf when we get it, but also love the white sand, blue water thing.

We're looking at Lifestyle Vacation Club...Cofresi beach...through a high-level member...or read good reviews of Iberostar Hacienda Dominicus in the La Romana area.

Any thoughts?

Matilda

RIP Lindsay
Sep 13, 2006
South Coast in June. White sandy beaches, blue calm sea, little or no surf. Hot, beginning of hurricane season, have had no rain yet so rainy season will start in June methinks. When it starts, in my experience we get at least a week of solid rain - that's over the last 7 years, but who knows this year.

La Romana - no idea of hotel, close to Byahibe - nice fishing village, excursions to 2 islands, Saona and Catalina, both nice day trips and Bayahibe and Catalina very good snorkelling and diving.

Close to Altos de Chavon and Casa de Campo - good food and nice trips. 24 minutes from Cueva Maravilla (sp) very well done and interesting Indian caves.

1 1/2 - 2 hours from Santo Domingo.

No idea about the North - wait for the Northerners to let you know. More of them than us Southerners!!!

Matilda

J

John Evans

i wouldnt call the sand dark in the north....now if you want dark sand -this a place ive been in new zealand near new plymouth its like coal dust
p5877gns.jpg

DanaP

May 23, 2007
thoughts

I've been to the Iberostar Dominicus in La Romana, as well as 2 other Iberostar hotels in Punta Cana & Puerto Plata, they are always lovely. More food than you can experience, lovely pool, great rooms with good maid service & fun entertainment. The beach there is fabulous & as Matilda mentioned it's close to Bayahibe which is a nice town to visit if you want a day out. I enjoyed Punta Cana but this area is super built up for tourism and is literally like a mega-complex of hotels in a row which isn't really my style. But again beautiful beaches and the hotels there are very nice. Puerta Plata was lovely as well and is located in a large city so you have more access to urban experiences if that is what you're looking for. But if I had my choice I'd visit La Romana again.

I'm currently on the south coast and it's lovely here as well (how many times have I said 'lovely'?), the water is certainly rougher and a bit less of that pristine, aqua blue color you associate with the carribean. But I certainly am happy with my choice to locate down here on the south coast, because, well it's LOVELY here :cheeky:

have fun, d

deborahs

May 18, 2008
Hot?

So glad someone's out there...how hot is hot? Maybe 2nd week in June...again, we live in southwest Florida and we haven't started our rainy season yet, either...but I was hoping to go somewhere with a more comfortable climate...should we come next spring instead? Early April? I wouldn't do October...the worst part of hurricane season...

Matilda

RIP Lindsay
Sep 13, 2006
How hot is hot!!!! It is bloody roasting. If it got much hotter you could boil an egg in 5 mins in my pool. Are you centigrade or fahrenheit? No matter. Mid 30s c and mid 90s f. Far too hot in my opinion. Shouldn't be any hurricanes till Sept/October. Just get yourselves down here, but if you want cooler then Dec-April.

Matilda

Jun 18, 2007
www.rentalmetrocountry.com
1st time...mature couple...early June...
I've read:
*Atlantic side dark sand & water with surf...
*Caribbean side...white sand, blue, calm water.

We live in southwest Florida and appreciate surf when we get it, but also love the white sand, blue water thing.

We're looking at Lifestyle Vacation Club...Cofresi beach...through a high-level member...or read good reviews of Iberostar Hacienda Dominicus in the La Romana area.

Any thoughts?

You might want to try the South Coast and especially Juan Dolio, beautiful beach!!!!
For more info visit: Home - www.rentalmetrocountry.com

Borec

Dec 20, 2005
I personally like the southwest coast

But there are no all inlcusives there to speak of (thanks god for that). I like the area around Dominicus too, but if you stay around Puerto Plata and get a car you have more options, then jsut the Playa dorada.

See these pictures, to get an idea (yes they are mine)

Photographs of Dominican Republic