Does Anyone Know of a Expat Social Club on the North Coast?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Volcon

Jan 24, 2008
Can anyone help me, I am looking for a British/European or American Expat Social Club?

A club that has regular meetings or social gatherings! I am pretty new to the Dom Rep and would like to meet a few more people in the Sosua and Cabarete area.

Thanks for your help in advance.

Rocky

Honorificabilitudinitatibus
Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
Can anyone help me, I am looking for a British/European or American Expat Social Club?

A club that has regular meetings or social gatherings! I am pretty new to the Dom Rep and would like to meet a few more people in the Sosua and Cabarete area.

Thanks for your help in advance.
Any and all that ever existed were shams and scams.
Stay clear of them.
It'll just land up costing you money for nothing.

There are cliques of good and bad folks, your choice, and with time, your friend circle grows big enough that you barely have any spare time to laze around.
Also, If you happen to drink, there are bars where expats go & meet/socialize.
Some require serious drinking, others not.

Volcon

Jan 24, 2008
Any and all that ever existed were shams and scams.
Stay clear of them.
It'll just land up costing you money for nothing.

There are cliques of good and bad folks, your choice, and with time, your friend circle grows big enough that you barely have any spare time to laze around.
Also, If you happen to drink, there are bars where expats go & meet/socialize.
Some require serious drinking, others not.

Ah, thanks for that advice! It seems that you have to be on your toes around here with everything you do?

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
I thought the fine institution called "Rocky's" was such an informal institution.

Rocky

Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
Ah, thanks for that advice! It seems that you have to be on your toes around here with everything you do?
The thing is that tourist towns attract all sorts, good and bad.
It takes a while as a newbie to filter out the bad stuff.
Some of these con artists are so good at the game that you might not find out until it has already cost you dearly.
I have no easy solution to offer you, except that when you find one person whom you truly trust, then his/her friends will likely be that way too, and it grows from there.
It's a growing pain that everyone goes through and there's no escaping it.
Some folks get lucky and meet all the right people from day one, others lose their shirts before even discovering that they got had.

Volcon

Jan 24, 2008
Some of these con artists are so good at the game that you might not find out until it has already cost you dearly.
I have no easy solution to offer you, except that when you find one person whom you truly trust, then his/her friends will likely be that way too, and it grows from there.
Some folks get lucky and meet all the right people from day one, others lose their shirts before even discovering that they got had.

Yep, you can bet I have met a few of the 'bad folks' already. In fact, I have taken to renaming the Dom Rep as 'Fantasy Island', due to the amount of people I have met so far who live in a fantasy land and speak a lot of s*it, about what they do they for a living back home, their status, the money they have (or don't have), what they are doing in the Dom Rep business wise, etc, etc. The list goes on!

Luckily i have met some very genuine expats, so I will stick to them and take it from there.

Rocky

Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
Luckily i have met some very genuine expats, so I will stick to them and take it from there.
You got it.
With time, it all becomes clear.
These bad apples exhibit certain common traits, ways of saying things, common one liners, etc.
After awhile, you can almost smell it coming.
The secret is to continue on the way you are and give it time.
It'll all be worth it in the long run.

J

John Evans

oh dear that all sounds bad...although I kind of agree that some people make friends with people they wouldnt normally give the time of day to in their own country....real friends are hard to find in any country(I dont beleive you can have a lot of real friends- they do take up time ...lol)

gringosabroso

Oct 16, 2004
ESO Residents Club ? ? ?

I suggest that you try ESO:

* The Pres. is a very active & amicable British lady named Sylvia. Dues? 1,000 Pesos / year. Headquartered in Sosua, expanding into Puerto Plata rapidly; if you join you get an email @ every 2 weeks, advising you of all upcoming activities. Spanish lessons. Shopping trips, etc. No commercials! No advertising!

* I've been a member 2 - 3 months. My opinion: very worthwhile & growing.

* If you don't live in the North Coast, I don't think ESO would work. 1,000 Pesos. Not much to lose. Good hunting.

Last edited by a moderator:

Lambada

Gold
Mar 4, 2004
www.ginniebedggood.com
With the greatest of respect I have to disagree with the suggestion in post 9. And I would imagine that it was the sort of suggestion which Rocky was trying to protect the OP from receiving.....................:cheeky:

Mar 2, 2008
I agree with the Cobra. Rocky's in Sosua is as good an informal social club as one could find, and no dues, no applications, and no expectations. You have nothing to lose by having a beer and some ribs and seeing for yourself.
I always check in at Rocky's when I'm in town, and there are daily discussion groups on about any subject you could think of (informal of course, and ever changing).
The people I initially met there have continued to be friends, and I meet new people all the time.

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
^^^QTF....

Rocky

Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
With the greatest of respect I have to disagree with the suggestion in post 9. And I would imagine that it was the sort of suggestion which Rocky was trying to protect the OP from receiving.....................:cheeky:
Yes, that is correct.
Newbies should put their thinking caps on and exercise a bit of common caution.
It's just not all that difficult, what with having DR1 as a resource.
Anyone who reads DR1 a fair bit before moving here, as most seem to do, will soon get to establish some contacts/online friends, whom are clearly reputed to be good solid honest citizens.
For instance, Hillbilly.
Anyone who reads a fair bit of DR1 can establish that the man is pure gold and as honest as the day is long.
From contacting him, one can find out who else is like minded, and from those others, one can meet more, and on and on and on.
For anyone to come on here and sing the praises of ESO, headed up by a former DR1 member, twice banned, I would have to say that this person has not exercised said good judgement.

A

apostropheman

since Q is beside the W on the keyboard, I'm going to guess a typo and vote for WTF!?!?!?!
Hey.. I'm out of touch with that new fandangled modern kool talk from the US.
Que es, QTF?
;):bunny::bunny:

Rocky

Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
since Q is beside the W on the keyboard, I'm going to guess a typo and vote for WTF!?!?!?!;):bunny::bunny:
Well, if so, then I don't understand.
Did I say something in that post that seemed out of sync or offbeat or not common knowledge?
I thought I was just stating the obvious.
I guess we'll only know when CB gets back to us.

drloca

Silver
Oct 26, 2004
Did I say something in that post that seemed out of sync or offbeat or not common knowledge?

I too am confused that if that in fact is correct, I certainly cant see how or why it would be warranted.

A

apostropheman

oops, at least I learned something new :D
QTF=Quoted For Truth

:classic:

I too am confused that if that in fact is correct, I certainly cant see how or why it would be warranted.

I'm thinking what you're thinking ;):bunny:

since Q is beside the W on the keyboard, I'm going to guess a typo and vote for WTF!?!?!?!;):bunny::bunny:

Status
Not open for further replies.