Need help with Merengue Music... I am American and don't have a clue

drtechnology

May 18, 2008
I am a DJ, you would think I know this, but I don't minus a few albums I have bought out of the recommendation of a Dom Rep friend I once had..

Speaking of that friend, I need some help... :ermm:

Ok, there's this Dominicanyor girl, now living in Vegas, and I am a Vegas Native. Me and her hit it off, sort of, since we went to High School together. We did not talk much then, but 2 years ago I met her again at a job she was doing, and we kinda fell in love. ;)

There's a long story, to involve a nasty BF that treated her bad and she kinda accepted it (said by her own admission left him like 8 times in 7 years, then came back to him) :ermm:

Anyways - he's gone now, and me and her are broke up as friends, because I tried to show her he was not right for her, and get her to leave him once and for all.

Well she left him finally, caught him cheating on her while in NY showing him to her parents... (lol - I told her UGGGG) :tired:

Anyways been 2 years now, I would send her card and gift for her birthday (8-8-1981) and Christmas. Well, dunno by the Ex BF or whom, but she got prego last year, had Baby in jan, and I hear Mothers Day is in end of May, so I wanna show her I still think about her and love her, and that I am sorry for any hurt or wrong I did to her in the past... :cry:

Anyone know any Love Songs in Mirengue that I could send to her, or take like several songs and mix them onto a CD for her. I am great at mixing songs into one big mix like at the clubs.... Maybe some Sorry Songs, or I think and pray for you a lot somgs or such, like maybe just some simple Mommy Songs she might like for mothers Day???

I know she LOVES to go clubbing and to party - maybe you all know some remixes or generic club songs from down there that although may not have meaning like the last paragraph - those songs I am asking for help on, but these maybe would make her feel more at home and cheer her up.

I have talked to some of her other friends and asked, she is doing ok, but could be better. She's kinda working a lot and does not have time with the baby to go out a lot or party a lot like she used to.

I don't know where to look for this, and an online google search I could find some stuff and try and translate it..... But I fear plain Spanish songs are not quite same as Dominican ones, and would not know how to tell the difference. I mean I know Mirengue and Salsa and Talcerdon (sp) and such... But don't know what they say - there is no such thing as a song translator anywhere I know of lol...

I have been reading as a Visitor here for a week now, nice site, but would appreciate any help.

Also, I have a related post in this thread (Spanish 101) about Poems - please if you would know how to help there too....

Thanks

PS - She speaks Dominican, which she admitted to me when we were kinda together as friends and then some... That her language is more a local dialect than plain Spanish, but note she DOES speak FLUENT ENGLISH TOO! I have given her many mixes in ENGLISH and she loved them...., but I wanted something she might cherish a bit more, being in her dialect and language..

Thanks all

Last edited by a moderator:

drtechnology

May 18, 2008
Looks interesting lol

Thanks.... Is that an actual song I can put on an audio CD tho? Hmm - I will research it..

I did research some music but am not sure if it's spanish as in Mexican or Dominican, or Spainard... that's where I know I will mess up.

SKing

Silver
Nov 22, 2007
BACHATA is sooooo much better for saying I'm sorry or I miss you or I love you....
IMHO

drtechnology

May 18, 2008
Bachata - I knew that - and there's a lot of salsa too that says it...

But her Being Dominican and New York??? I am here to see what y'all think... Any ideas are appreciated. I agree Bachata is nice, but where do I even start? Do U know of any songs, maybe U and a few others live there and know more than me.

Issue is I hear a lot of songs, and can detect a few key words of them but ultimately don;t know what they say and some may sound kinda what I want and really be something totally different lol... I just don;t know how once I find a song to figure what it says..

I thought U all might know of some songs or artists that will help me better ;-)

I'm trying here. I read up a lot on the history, and culture and such, but don't speak the right Language, and from what I hear it's not just plain Spanish over there... So where do I start??? Uggg... I am flustered here, but trying lol

May 31, 2005
Look up Hector Acosta El Torito and the song is called Lo Que Tiene Ella. It is a merengue asking what is it about her that has him so crazy in love with her.

It goes like this:

Que sera, que sera lo que tiene ella
No puedo estar con otra que no sea con ella
Me tiene vuelto loco y enamorado
Y como ella me besa nunca nadie me ha besado

SKing

Silver
Nov 22, 2007
Yoskar Sarante - VALE LA PENA
Antony Santos - AY, VEN
Frank Reyes - PRINCESA

drtechnology

May 18, 2008
Thanks all - this is great, and thanks for telling me what the songs say - because I download them and hear them and have no way of translating them like I do a poem or something...

drtechnology

May 18, 2008
How can one edit my post above to remove the girl's name. We are talking (finally lol) and I want to take her info off the 1st post I made here...

AnnaC

Gold
Jan 2, 2002
How can one edit my post above to remove the girl's name. We are talking (finally lol) and I want to take her info off the 1st post I made here...

Not sure how I missed it a year ago but I have edited your post. We normally don't allow names to be posted

rsg

Bronze
Oct 21, 2008
I know a great song for you dude, It's called you got dumped over and over again by this party girl and she went out and got pregnant and you still want her. The song is on the album called, Pathetic, please move on.
I dont think that any song could help you with this girl.

pedrochemical

Silver
Aug 22, 2008
When I was a young man I always found the way to a girls heart (or into her knickers) was to write a song just for her - I had several stock songs that I would tailor for the purpose.

Break out the laptop, sample some beats and mix up a musical love cocktail.

Or just learn to be a bit more Tiguere.
;)