Going to SDQ in July

cajunito

Apr 18, 2008
Hello,
I will be arriving @ SDQ late from MIA. I will be renting a car from there & driving into Santo Domingo,my hotel is in Gazcue. Are the directions complicated for this? I have driven in cities like Bogota & Caracas,so I handle heavy traffic well. I also wanted to know if the smaller hotels have secure parking at night. I understand from reading here that if a credit card is used for hotels,an exorbitant fee goes along with that. Is it just easier to use an ATM? Thanks for your replies! :classic:

jalencastro

Bronze
Dec 15, 2004
www.myspace.com
hey there! if you are fairly good at taking directions and or reading a map then you will have no problems getting around. I drive everywhere i go in santo domingo and go with the flow. i am not sure if the smaller hotels have secure parking, i have always stayed at resorts and or the hotels on the malecon which have safe parking. just be sure NOT to leave anything in the car by ANY means!
if you can avoid using credit cards do so, cash is best whenever necessary, at all hotels always ask for a print out of expenses before you decide to charge anything so you can see it all in writing!
the capital will be lots of fun so enjoy!

CJnNJ

Aug 7, 2005
Hello,
I will be arriving @ SDQ late from MIA. I will be renting a car from there & driving into Santo Domingo,my hotel is in Gazcue. Are the directions complicated for this? I have driven in cities like Bogota & Caracas,so I handle heavy traffic well. I also wanted to know if the smaller hotels have secure parking at night. I understand from reading here that if a credit card is used for hotels,an exorbitant fee goes along with that. Is it just easier to use an ATM? Thanks for your replies! :classic:

It isn't so much the heavy traffic as it is the lack of a coherent traffic pattern. I take that back... they do aim the cars straight so I guess that counts.

Unless you absolutely need a car first off, I would take a taxi to the hotel and scout it out first. (Especially as you're arriving late at night. It's a fairly straight shot into the capital, but the roads are TERRIBLE at night with pedestrians, chickens, anything that can move really, sharing the road with you. Oh, and no lights- highway and vehicles).It is easy to rent cars once in SD. If you're staying local a car could be more of a hindrance than convenience. Two hotels with onsite parking come to mind: Palacio and Discovery. Both are off the Conde. Caribe Colonial has parking as well, but very very limited.

As far as CCs go. I use Amex always, every visit, every hotel in several parts of the island and have never had a problem with charges/exorbitant fees/whatnot. That being said, there have been horror stories, so be alert regarding charges. I have never had a security fee or such held on my card.

Fun city.. you should have a ball.

CJ

pyratt

Bronze
Jan 14, 2007
Does anyone know if the Garmin Nuvi (or other similar GPS for cars) works in the DR?