Stomach Problems

Status
Not open for further replies.

jbars

Jul 6, 2007
I recently returned from Sosua and both myself and my friend suffered very bad stomach issues upon return to the states. I have been DR many times and always have a little bit of problems, but this time was worse than ever. I only drank bottled water, but did have a water at the hotel a few times and was told it was filtered. Does anyone know the most common cause of problems upon return from DR? The oil used for fried foods? Are the vegetables/fruit cleaned with water that caught be tough on travelers? Any ideas?

Thanks in advance!!!!

Bronxboy

Jul 11, 2007
It might just be a stomach virus. It is going around here in NY.

M.A.R.

Silver
Feb 18, 2006
It can be the buffet food, two years ago I was in PuertoPLata resort and I got sick for a few days and I believe it was the spoiled veggies...........i don't know what goes on behind those doors in the kitchen but now I will be very careful of what i eat in the AIs.

My brother and his kids went to Bavaro last year and they got sick from the pasta, only the ones that ate the pasta go sick.

J

John Evans

if it more than 48 hours after your return you most likely picked something up at home

jbars

Jul 6, 2007
We were on our own there. Didn't stay at an AI, I don't really care for them. I have been to Cabarete and Santiago several times. I have heard from others with similar problems. Viriginian I was asking if others had similar experiences not for a diagnosis. Thanks for your useless contribution.

Larry

Gold
Mar 22, 2002
If it surfaced after you returned to the states, it is probably a little virus. If you ate something bad or "strange" on your trip, you would have felt it that night or at latest the next day. If it was from the water (maybe you ate a salad that had just been rinsed with local water) you would most likely have diarhea.

jruane44

Bronze
Jul 2, 2004
A, A
We were on our own there. Didn't stay at an AI, I don't really care for them. I have been to Cabarete and Santiago several times. I have heard from others with similar problems. Viriginian I was asking if others had similar experiences not for a diagnosis. Thanks for your useless contribution.

I don't believe you were given useless info by Virginian. I think Virginian was giving good helpful advise. So if I told you that I know 200 people that were sick, your next question would have been "What was wrong with them?". Then you would be asking what did they take to cure their illness? Just go to the doctor already.

jbars

Jul 6, 2007
JRuane. It is over now, why would I go to the doctor now? That doesn't make sense. You need to calm down a little bit, I only posed a general question. If I realized that you would be so sensitive and I wouldn't have posted my question.

BermudaRum

Bronze
Oct 9, 2007
When ever I have a problem with my stomach here in DR, I usualy wash it down with a Presidente Light, GRANDE Preferred!!!!!!
jbars, I'll send you case, Glad you are feeling better!!!

jbars

Jul 6, 2007
Bermuda Rum,

Thanks!!! I could use some now. I will take you up on it the next time I am down there. For now, I will just hit the bodega on my corner here and grab some grandes, or six pack. Only thing is they are never as cold as they are down there.

retiree

Bronze
Jan 18, 2008
When someone posts for advice and doesn't receive exactly what they were looking for, I wish they would not be rude to a person who took the time to try and help them out.

drloca

Silver
Oct 26, 2004
When someone posts for advice and doesn't receive exactly what they were looking for, I wish they would not be rude to a person who took the time to try and help them out.

Its like a spoilt child not getting their own way!

And then to go on and accuse others of being "sensitive"...well how would they know, since they are insensitive??

jbars

Jul 6, 2007
Retiree,

I apologize to you and others if it was taken that way, but I asked for opinions on others' experiences and then was hit with condescending remarks by some of the posts for asking a question. I wasn't seeking any advice from them.

Rocky

Honorificabilitudinitatibus
Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
I wasn't seeking any advice from them.
But it would seem that you need advice, despite not knowing that you do, as the likelihood of your stomach problems being DR related are extremely low.
When one consumes something that would cause stomach problems, it generally manifests itself in a very short period of time, depending on the severity of the illness.
A very light case of "Turista" would show itself in less than 12 hours, perhaps half that.
So if you had time to go to the airport, sit around and wait for your flight, then fly home, and then later develop stomach problems, one can assume with a high degree of certitude, that it had nothing to do with the DR.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
I, for one, would like to know just when this issue turned up. Was it during the flight home? Was it a day or so later? Was it diarrhea, or fever or both? Did you vomit?

Thing is, after "Oh my God, it's been more than 40 years" here, I have been ill to my stomach on very few occasions, and that was fairly soon after ingesting something that did not agree with me.

I fully realize that there are myriad ways of getting something strange here, and therefore, your symptoms will assist not only me but others in knowing what may or may not have happened..

Cordially, (Yeah, folks, today I am being nice!)

HB

jbars

Jul 6, 2007
Hillbilly,

My friend and I started having the symptoms the last day we were there and they continued for about a week. They were diarhea. We didn't suffer any fevers, mainly dehydration and some body aches from the level we were hit with. We definitely got it in DR, and not on the plane or at the airport as it occurred roughly around the night before/morning of day we left.

Thanks,

Jbars

J

John Evans

I suppose these things happen from time to time in all countries - avoid battered sausage in the uk by the way......if you ordered water by the way I would have asked for the unopened bottle rather than a glass, as you would in any country and remember to wipe your bottle top with the napkin provided before swigging presidente

Rocky

Honorificabilitudinitatibus
Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
Hillbilly,

My friend and I started having the symptoms the last day we were there and they continued for about a week.
Jbars
Pardon us for drawing the wrong conclusions, but you did initially say,
I recently returned from Sosua and both myself and my friend suffered very bad stomach issues upon return to the states.
and our responses can only be as good as the info given to us.

jbars

Jul 6, 2007
Rocky,

That is the time it really kicked in and kicked in bad without getting into details. By the way, I stopped by Rocky's a few times for cold ones, I liked the place. Very friendly bartender working there. Both times were in the afternoon.

Jbars

Status
Not open for further replies.