Minimum Necessary Income? (CIC Form)

liam1

Bronze
Jun 9, 2004
i am going over the "Sponsoring your family" application form and there is a section on "Minimum Necessary Income" (around 21.000 annually) which asks for my income information dating back 12 months from the date application is filled out (from May 20/ 2007 to today). i am afraid this could be the application killer since i have no income over the past year. i have savings, but no income over the past 12 months. the last time i worked in Canada was late 2006.

can anyone give me more information on this subject, what to do and how to proceed? if i just put "zero income" i will not qualify to sponsor anyone, and I DO NOT WANT TO GO BACK TO CANADA AND WORK JUST TO SHOW INCOME STATEMENTS!!!

thanks.

castro

Jul 5, 2007
why don't you call Mississauga CIC and ask them what you should do? They can maybe give you acouple of options of what to do....

mart0417

Oct 25, 2006
i am going over the "Sponsoring your family" application form and there is a section on "Minimum Necessary Income" (around 21.000 annually) which asks for my income information dating back 12 months from the date application is filled out (from May 20/ 2007 to today). i am afraid this could be the application killer since i have no income over the past year. i have savings, but no income over the past 12 months. the last time i worked in Canada was late 2006.

can anyone give me more information on this subject, what to do and how to proceed? if i just put "zero income" i will not qualify to sponsor anyone, and I DO NOT WANT TO GO BACK TO CANADA AND WORK JUST TO SHOW INCOME STATEMENTS!!!

thanks.

so where are you working now, you must have soem income coming in. ARe you planning on living in Canada after you sponsor someone one?

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
Well, as a Canadian, unless you have rsidency elsewhere you are suposed to report your world income. If you earned your "income" Legally in say the DR and were a resident you should declare that income, but perhaps you can consult a CPA on this matter.

SJSantos

Oct 9, 2006

thanks.

If you are sponsoring your spouse or your child under 22 (who has no children) you don't need an income and you don't fill out that form. If you are sponsoring another family member other than these two exceptions, you must prove to the Canadian Govn't your income.

Johana

May 24, 2006
There are places you need to indicate your income even if you do not have to fill out the Financial Evaluation form.
There are also boxes to check for sponsors who are applying and are not currently residing in Canada.
I agree with Castro I would give the CPC a call if you can and they can help you answer your questions in regards to what information you would need to supply.

margaret

Bronze
Aug 9, 2006

thanks.

File those tax returns... tsk, tsk tsk! Yes see a CPA as bob suggested.

liam1

Bronze
Jun 9, 2004
currently i have no income, none whatsoever. i have some money in the bank and that's how i pay the bills. SJSantos where did you get that information please? on the form it says they want T4 tax returns.

lexi

Bronze
Jan 23, 2007
SJSantos - I think you are wrong about not having to fill that information out. It specifically says you must provide T4's and also have a "Statement of Earnings" - you get this when you have completed your Tax Return. You need to call and get your last one sent to you if you don't have it. (I think that is what it is called - I am moving and have all my papers packed).

Liam1 - You must meet the minimum income requirement and provide proof that you can support whomever you sponsor. You don't have a choice in this. You are obviosly planning on moving back to Canada - can you show you would have a job to go back to? If you could show substantial savings and the fact that you are going back to a job that you would be making more than the minimum amounts, maybe you could do it. You need to call CIC in Mississauga and find out the correct information for your situation. They are really helpful.

Your savings would have to be really substancial to be able to have enough to show you can provide for your spouse for the minimum 3 years required.

If it will only be you and your wife you would need to make the following amounts: $19,907 for yourself and then add an additional $14,562 for your spouse. This means you must be making at least $34,469 to show you can provide for the two of you. If either of you have kids this amount goes up.

Good Luck.

Johana

May 24, 2006
Liam1,
here is a link to the application guide
http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/pdf/kits/guides/3900E.pdf

The guide states when you need to fill out the Sponsor Evaluation IMM5481 and when you need to fill out the Financial Evaluation IMM5482.

Even if you do not have to fill out the Financial eval. you will still need to indicate in about 3 different places your income. One as you mentioned is your earnings in the 12 months preceeding the application (#3 IMM5481), there is another form where you indicate your work history for the last 5 years - including salaries (IMM5540) and also you are required to include a print out from your tax return (number 17 from the check list).

With that being said there is additional information you have to provide if you as the sponsor have residency outside of Canada when you apply. You have to provide proof that you will resume Canadian residency once your spouse receives there PR Visa. #11 from IMM5540.

Now, if you are a Quebec resident (or plan to be) then I believe the minimum income requirement applies.

There is some conflicting information here....I would look over the guide and contact the CIC to get clarification.

lexi

Bronze
Jan 23, 2007
Best Bet - call CIC directly. They are the only ones who can properly guide you and help make ths possible for you.
Good Luck!!

liam1

Bronze
Jun 9, 2004
does anyone have CIC local (416/905) Mississauga number please? the 1-888 is In Canada Only and international calls are restricted. i've tried calling the number in Haiti but nobody ever picks up.

lexi

Bronze
Jan 23, 2007
Liam1 - The website shows if you are outside of Canada to contact the Visa office close to you. If the office in Haiti isn't picking up call the Santo Domingo Canadian Visa Office. Here are the numbers provided.

Telephone/
Facsimile
Numbers: Mission Tel.: (809) 685-1136
Immigration Tel.: (809) 685-1136
Mission Fax: (809) 682-2691
Immigration Fax: (809) 682-2691
Office Hours: Monday: 08:00 - 16:30
Tuesday: 08:00 - 16:30
Wednesday: 08:00 - 16:30
Thursday: 08:00 - 16:30
Friday: 08:00 - 13:00

Comments: Open Mondays and Thursdays from 9:00 to 11:00 for temporary resident visa, study permit, work permit and travel document applications, these applications being forwarded to Port-au-Prince for processing afterwards. Open Monday to Thursday from 9:00 to 12:00 and 13:00 to 16:00, and Friday from 09:00 to 12:00 for information about immigration, forms requests and submission of additional documents (which will be forwarded to Port-au-Prince).

I hope you can get through to someone.

caro

Sep 24, 2003
I am sponsoring my common law partner right now and i was accepted for sponsor him without income by both canada and quebec . I was living in DR from september 2006 to february 2008 when I come home give birth and I go back this summer waiting his visa with him

for sponsoring your spouse you don t need to prouve your income.
but if you sponsor from de DR you will need to prouve you will have a job waiting for you or money to live on when you come back in canada

liam1

Bronze
Jun 9, 2004
I am sponsoring my common law partner right now and i was accepted for sponsor him without income by both canada and quebec . I was living in DR from september 2006 to february 2008 when I come home give birth and I go back this summer waiting his visa with him

for sponsoring your spouse you don t need to prouve your income.
but if you sponsor from de DR you will need to prouve you will have a job waiting for you or money to live on when you come back in canada

thank you for the reply.

Johana (thank you) has offered to call Mississauga office and get more info on this matter, i hope the response will be positive.

as i have said, i currently have no income whatsoever. i do have saving to support our lives in Canada for at least 2-3 years. while i was working in Canada i was self-employed, and within days of returning to Canada i could resume my business activity and earn at least 50-60K, most likely i would earn 80-90K that first year.

the worst thing is that on paper my case looks very bad (no income, no job, no property, not ever residing in Canada...) while in really i would have no problem whatsoever supporting my wife and myself in Canada.

Johana

May 24, 2006
Liam,

I just sent you a PM.

The response from the Call Centre was that while there are no guarantees to be approved as a sponsor with zero income you have to put in your application and try.

I asked if a detailed explanation should be given and they said yes. They said that you need to satisfy Immigration that you will be able to support your spouse once you return to Canada.

I think they said the "no guarantee" because no one is guaranteed to be approved as a sponsor. However, if you detail your savings and your business and can prove the business can support you it will definitely help your case. :)

caro

Sep 24, 2003
i do have saving to support our lives in Canada for at least 2-3 years.

like I said I was accepted to sponsor my partner without income but I show that I have saving that we can live on if you want to know how much write me a PM but sure was not to support us for 2 or 3 year

SJSantos

Oct 9, 2006
Hi Liam1

Sorry for the delay in answering. I am correct in my information, however I will provide you with the source that I found it. The following is copied from Part 1 of the Sponsorship Guide for Spouse, common-law partner, dependent child

Form (IMM 3900)- under the heading "who can sponsor"

you have an income that is at least equal to the minimum necessary income, the amount of which is published yearly by the Canadian government.

You will have to provide us with documents that show your financial resources for the past 12 months and prove you are financially able to sponsor members of the family class. You may solicit the help of a co-signer (must be your spouse or common-law partner). If you reside in Quebec, see also Sponsors living in Quebec.

This condition does not apply if you are sponsoring only
your spouse, common-law or conjugal partner who has no dependent children, or your spouse, common-law or conjugal partner whose dependent children have no children of their own, or
your dependent child who has no children of his or her own.

**As suggested I would contact CIC centre to get clarification on the T4

Thanks
SJSANTOS