Young Travellers

CarlaV11

Mar 25, 2008
Hi Everyone
I was just wondering who here would let their 16 year old daughter and her friend go to the DR without parental supervision. They will have parents to live with and watch them, and keep them busu. They have already been in the village they would be going to but that was with a group of poeple with 5 Canadian adults watching over them at all times, except for at night because they all stayed in different houses. Would it be safe for them?
Thanks!

Ringo

On Vacation!
Mar 6, 2003
Having raised my daugher...and have grand children.

Only you can answer your question.

Regards, Ringo

PICHARDO

One Dominican at a time, please!
May 15, 2003
Santiago de Los 30 Caballeros
Hi Everyone
I was just wondering who here would let their 16 year old daughter and her friend go to the DR without parental supervision. They will have parents to live with and watch them, and keep them busu. They have already been in the village they would be going to but that was with a group of poeple with 5 Canadian adults watching over them at all times, except for at night because they all stayed in different houses. Would it be safe for them?
Thanks!

When you say without parental supervision, you mean that her parents will not make the trip but adults (parents of the friends they'll be staying with) will have a watch over them there?

If that's the case it all depends on the regards you keep those parents at...
If it means they'll be staying with some adults that don't have kids then no...

CarlaV11

Mar 25, 2008
they will have parental supervision and be living with parents that have had Canadian students stay with them on school trips for the past 17 years, and they all have kids of there own. they are very trustworthy, and know how to take care of Canadians as well

J

John Evans

is there a special knack to taking care of a Canadian lol

alicious

Bronze
Oct 2, 2007
Ultimately it will have to be your choice, however if you trust the family you are sending them to stay with, and they have had other children stay with them before, it sounds like a great experience for them....

However, not knowing your children of course, it depends entirely on them.

Travelling to and living in different countries, I think, is one of the best possible forms of education and growth for children.

That being said....I think the biggest risk....the main reason I would be worried...would be keeping them away from the Dominican boys...or more likely the Dominican boys away from them!!!!!!

They are not like Canadian boys...

As far as saftey, I doubt they would have problems...as I said..honestly, the biggest concern would be the Dominican boys!!

rio2003

Bronze
Aug 16, 2006
The mere fact that you are asking the questions on here makes me think that you are very hesitant - IMO, No they shouldn't travel/stay without parental supervision - Other adults do not have the same knowledge and control that parents do.

CarlaV11

Mar 25, 2008
is there a special knack to taking care of a Canadian lol

haha no there is not a knack for taking care of them, I just mean they know what the Canadiand usually do and don't like as in food and stuff.

and my daughter and her friend are very responsible i would say, i think her friend is more responsible but they will keep each other in line. They met some boys the first time they went, I know that sounds bad but it was with their high school and the boys were there because there were more girls on the trip and teachers from the high school in the village they went to choose some boys to make sure all the girls got home safe everynight and such. should i be very worried about them?

rio2003

Bronze
Aug 16, 2006
How much experience of the DR do you have yourself ? It all sounds so "nice" with the girls keeping each other in line, boys looking after their safety and adults to keep an eye on them........ however
perhaps it is better not to be worried about them - and don't let them go.
IMHO

CarlaV11

Mar 25, 2008
I have never been to the DR but my daughter has gone on mission trips with her school. I have talked to pepple who have to the same village, including preists and the whole bit, they don't seem worried about my daughters safety and out sure that the women that my daughter would be staying with are both very protective. she would be staying in 2 different houses, one each week she is there.
I don't think my daughter will take no for an answer, she fell in love with the country and she is doing everything in her power to prove to me she can go back and it will be safe.

alicious

Bronze
Oct 2, 2007
haha no there is not a knack for taking care of them, I just mean they know what the Canadiand usually do and don't like as in food and stuff.

and my daughter and her friend are very responsible i would say, i think her friend is more responsible but they will keep each other in line. They met some boys the first time they went, I know that sounds bad but it was with their high school and the boys were there because there were more girls on the trip and teachers from the high school in the village they went to choose some boys to make sure all the girls got home safe everynight and such. should i be very worried about them?

My parents let me go to France for 2 weeks as a school exchange when I was 14, and I stayed with a family there.

It was by far the best experience of my 14 yr old life!!!! I learnt a lot, and had a lot of fun...Yes I did go out drinking...partied...had a blast...and was none worse for the wear. The drinking and partying my parents wouldn't have really been happy about, but it didn't hurt me any...nothing bad happened, and I had a great experience to see how other ppl lived....and didn't do anything I ultimately wouldn't have done back in Canada anyways.

So thinking back to that experience...I would say YES...send them.

They are going to do what they want to do eventually anyways, be it at home or in another country.

Should you be worried about the Dominican Boys?? YESS!!! As I said..they are not like Canadian boys.

I used to live in Puerto Plata...and I also taught at a local school...so I feel I can comment on that fairly accurately.

But like I mentioned earlier...it is ultimately your decision, because you know your daughter.

If she is going to get into trouble, she could do it in Canada or the DR. Every teenager is going to have some harmless trouble now and then, nothing you can do to prevent that.

How level headed is she? If she is the type to be easily swept off her feet...well she may come back wanting to get married to her new Dominican boyfriend...and then you are in trouble. Lol...

CarlaV11

Mar 25, 2008
thanks.. she is pretty level headed, when she was there before she got proposed to and many of the Dominican boys said they were in love with her and so on, she was not swept away by any of this and knows not to fall for what they say. she still talks to the friends she made there, but she's NOT looking for a relationship from anyone in the DR be any means.
thanks again!

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
It really will depend on a couple of things, how the girls were raised(values) and how much they will be monitored. FYI, "white" girls here in the DR will be the subject of much "attention" by the local boys, and many will do their best to have their way with them if possible. I'm not talking about rape necessarily, but seduction, etc.

CarlaV11

Mar 25, 2008
The girls will always have someone(a parent) keeping an eye on them, they will be working all day volunteering and at night the girls know the rules that they must follow.
thanks for the warning about the Dominican boys. my daughter has already been and knows how they can be, last time she handled herself fine, but this time when she goes back there will not be any Canadian adults to look after her, only Dominican adults. Will the adults watching my daughter be a little more leanient then parents from Canada would be?

alicious

Bronze
Oct 2, 2007
Depends on who they are...but actually if anything I think they could end up being more strict about that sort of thing...but that does totally depend on who they are, where they come from and what their values are as well.

I understand ppl's negative feelings to some extent...but I honestly do feel the positives would out weigh the negatives.

Those are the type of experiences she will take with her forever, and if she is going to get into trouble in the DR, she could get into trouble just as easily in Canada.

I think ppl were more so imagining her there on vacation at a resort just by herself with another girlfriend...that...could more so be a recipe for trouble!!!

But with these extra details you've given...they will be volunteering, staying with a Dominican family...etc. It's not as if they are totally alone and just going to party...that is a completely different ballgame!!

What city will they be staying in? (That is assuming they go...lol...:cheeky:)

SKing

Silver
Nov 22, 2007
Staying with a Dominican family? Does this family have boys anywhere near her age?
I guess you can only make this decision but I would send her with a pack of condoms and Ortho-Tricyclen Lo (just to be safe of course).
Dominican teens can be very persuasive, or at least the sons of some of my friends can!

Rocky

Honorificabilitudinitatibus
Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
Staying with a Dominican family? Does this family have boys anywhere near her age?
I guess you can only make this decision but I would send her with a pack of condoms and Ortho-Tricyclen Lo (just to be safe of course).
Dominican teens can be very persuasive, or at least the sons of some of my friends can!
They don't have to be her age.
The uncles and even the grand father could be very persuasive too.