Islam - New Article

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
Interesting article. I think Islam will continue to have a problem growing here "organically" given that prohibition of drinking is part and parcel of the religion not to mention other charateristics that are lacking in the DR compared to other countries. The drinking issue is also one of the reasons the Evangelical Christian religion has failed to make as much inroads as was once believed possible.

AZB

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
islam is already spread all over venezuela. I have not seen any city in venezuela where there wasn't a big mosque. islam is also present in colombia and in brazil.
DR will soon see its share of islamic presence in many cities. Islam is the fastest growing religion in the world.
AZB

Mr. Lu

Bronze
Mar 26, 2007
The point of the article, I would imagine, would be to demonstrate Islam as part of the cultural and historical make up of the DR. It's great to know that in this country you can find a bit of everything for everyone and that the DR is more than just sun, fun, hookers and beaches, as some tourists are led to believe.

I was amazed to think that in the DR there was an Islamic community, but there is also a Chinese, Jewish, Ba'hai (though small) and other cultural/religious enclaves. Its just good to show the different sides of the DR and how Dominicans, for the most part, have been open to different religions in the DR. I also found out that there is a Mormon church in the DR. I would like more info on that.

Squat

Tropical geek in Las Terrenas
Jan 1, 2002
islam is already spread all over venezuela. I have not seen any city in venezuela where there wasn't a big mosque. islam is also present in colombia and in brazil.
DR will soon see its share of islamic presence in many cities. Islam is the fastest growing religion in the world.
AZB
Well... What can I say... That doesn't sound like a great news... :(

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
Interesting article. I think Islam will continue to have a problem growing here "organically" given that prohibition of drinking is part and parcel of the religion not to mention other charateristics that are lacking in the DR compared to other countries. The drinking issue is also one of the reasons the Evangelical Christian religion has failed to make as much inroads as was once believed possible.
Because we all know that all members of the dominant religion in the DR follow every single one of its teachings to the last letter.:cheeky:

Squat

Tropical geek in Las Terrenas
Jan 1, 2002
It is forbidden in most Muslim Nations (Algeria, Saudi Arabia, etc...) to own a Bible, that shows their huge lack of tolerance...

-Can you imagine if we did the same thing to them ???

They usually issue a Fatwa to sentence to death whenever a cartoonist draw their Prophet...

Doesn't look like it will fit in the DR culture...

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
Because we all know that all members of the dominant religion in the DR follow every single one of its teachings to the last letter.:cheeky:

Point taken, however, I don't think Islam is fond of turning a blind eye to new converts drinking.

Mr. Lu

Bronze
Mar 26, 2007
Not about religion

It is forbidden in most Muslim Nations (Algeria, Saudi Arabia, etc...) to own a Bible, that shows their huge lack of tolerance...

-Can you imagine if we did the same thing to them ???

They usually issue a Fatwa to sentence to death whenever a cartoonist draw their Prophet...

Doesn't look like it will fit in the DR culture...

Please, let's keep this off religion and politics. I know the article is about religion, but let's not get personal biases get in the way. The article is meant to represent culture and history not politics and religion.

Mr./Mrs. Squat, your biases have been noted. Fair enough, as you are entitled to your opinion, but have you spoken with enough Muslims and practitioners to say that its "spread is unfortunate?" Those comments on Fatwa's only represent the opinions of let us say 1% of Muslims as Polygamy only represents a percentage of Mormons and Pedophilia only represents a small percentage of what Catholics did (i.e the Priests).

Take a real glimpse into Islam and though there are things we disagree with and information that is misinterpreted there are as many goods and bads in Islam as there are in Catholicism, Christianity, Judaism, Buddhism etc. It is not in defense of Islam just asking for neutral consideration.

As for fitting in, Muslims here fit in just fine. I have a Muslim neighbor and a Muslim family just moved in. I have met some Muslims at Unibe and around the DR and they have said that they have never had a problem in the DR, in fact many of the persons I have met, including some of the members of the Mosque, say that Dominicans have been most accommodating, accepting and understanding, to their religion. Honest truth is that Dominicans can see past a lot and accept people for who they are and what they contribute to the community, as many of the Muslims I have met do. This goes the same for many of the Pakistanis and Indians I have met in the DR.

Once again please let us stay on topic as we could easily move into religion, and the thread be closed, depriving us of a good forum for discussion.

Mr. Lu

Sep 19, 2005

sure just like all gringos -tourists that have gfs that go to the wrong club have whores for girlfriends, just like some loudmouth gringo in columbia has whores all gringos have whores....

if the generalizations can stand over and over and over again from certain posters in other thread then:

yes all towel head camel jocky lunatics want to blow themselves and the rest of us up.....

and we dont want them anywhere near us

dont you just love LUMPING everyone into what ever little catergory you want to make and name

yes...I guess I am sick of it

but he just got a pat on the back today.......and so it goes

bad bad bob

Mr. Lu

Bronze
Mar 26, 2007
Excuse me?

"Good," say you? It just shows how stupid we still are. We're reverting back to the infancy of our species.

I am a little thrown off by your comment. I really don't know what you are referring to. Could you elaborate? I was referring to increasing awareness of the DR's cultural and historical make up. In that way we can learn how Dominican society was formed. For example many of the foods and words we use today have Arabic origins and a "kipe" for example has an Arabic origin. This is Good to know. Are you not in favor of that or are you commenting on Muslims in the DR?

Mr. Lu

Mr. Lu

Bronze
Mar 26, 2007
Please

sure just like all gringos -tourists that have gfs that go to the wrong club have whores for girlfriends, just like some loudmouth gringo in columbia has whores all gringos have whores....

if the generalizations can stand over and over and over again from certain posters in other thread then:

yes all towel head camel jocky lunatics want to blow themselves and the rest of us up.....

and we dont want them anywhere near us

dont you just love LUMPING everyone into what ever little catergory you want to make and name

yes...I guess I am sick of it

but he just got a pat on the back today.......and so it goes

bad bad bob

Please, voice your opinions but the racial slurs we can do without. Those are part of the rules, I believe.

Mr. Lu

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
Bob, turn on the old irony-meter, if it was my post you were responding to. Even though you quoted it, it wasn't absolutely clear.

Sep 19, 2005
Easy there, mr. tigger-happy gringo guy sir: I, too, lump every religious person in one delusional category.

thats the SARCASTIC point, I am trying to highlight

that people come here and paint with a wide brush and this is what it sounds like...and when they paint over YOU and your gf, you might want to show people what is sounds like

get the drift?

bad bob

Sep 19, 2005
Bob, turn on the old irony-meter, if it was my post you were responding to. Even though you quoted it, it wasn't absolutely clear.

it doesnt matter......I just used your text as my platform

I know that because one of any one or anything does something, that not all do that....

but if one gringo has a puta for a GF then why is it excepted and posted OVER and OVER that every gringo has a puta for a GF????

some people get to post that chit over and over

now it is time to lump some "other" people into "generalized "catergory...and see what it looks like

bad bob

Mr. Lu

Bronze
Mar 26, 2007
I think

thats the SARCASTIC point, I am trying to highlight

that people come here and paint with a wide brush and this is what it sounds like...and when they paint over YOU and your gf, you might want to show people what is sounds like

get the drift?

bad bob

I think poster was referring to a previous post, in a previous thread, by another poster. I think he makes a valid point of stereotyping and saying everyone and everything is the same.

And now that this is all cleared up, can we get back on topic?

Thank You

Mr. Lu

Last edited:

Tamborista

hasta la tambora
Apr 4, 2005
The generalizations that were made in the other locked thread, were not only uncalled for, but paint a clear picture of how "Real Dominicans" DO NOT act.

AZB owes Bob an apology for his despicible comments about Bob's lovely novia Tavina.

tambo'

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
I get it now, Bob.

How about a mod renaming this the Fun Friday thread and be done with it?

Status
Not open for further replies.