What is a "respectable" Dominican?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Malibook

Bronze
Jan 23, 2002
www.yourtraveltickets.com
Is a respectable Dominican somehow different than other respectable people?

I respect people who respect people, the environment, and life.
There is an old saying that 'Respect is earned, not given' but I don't agree with this.
I would say this applicable to trust but not respect.
I respect everybody until given reason not to.

I respect people who are supportive and loyal to their friends and family.
My friends and family can count on me and I am comforted knowing that they are there for me too.

I respect people who are kind and generous, especially towards those less privileged.
I don't care for people who need to put others down in order to somehow elevate themselves, in their minds.

I respect people who are open and honest.
Some people have multiple faces, just to serve a selfish purpose or especially when face to face with the potential of getting their ass kicked.

I repect people who make an honest living and know how to responsibly enjoy life, regardless of whatever so-called class they might be.
People who may not share the same desires but repect those of others none the less.
People who live and let live and don't worry about being judgmental of strangers.

These are some of the ways I would describe a respectable human being.

To the boorish preaching hijackers, please feel free to hijack this thread if it will keep your old repetitive sermons out of unrelated threads.
It might be nice if you could come up with some new material too.:tired:

SKing

Silver
Nov 22, 2007
How much does respect cost?

AMEN Sister...
I have noticed that alot of posters somehow misconstrue the word respect with the idea of wealth.
Apparently, to some posters the only "respectable" Dominicans are Dominicans with money...
I tend to disagree with that whole heartedly, I mean, Damn, would you call Paris Hilton "respectable"?

I read in another thread of "respectable" Dominican women meeting men for lunches, sneaking into hotels with men who rent the room year-round, and driving a car that she tells her family that she gets from her "good job".

Come on, people...if that's respect>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

DISRESPECT ME PLEASE!

rio2003

Bronze
Aug 16, 2006
"Respectable"

I am probably one of the ones who has been associated with saying that "respectable" = "wealthy". I don't actually believe it but it came from the idea that there is an element of Dominican society that tourists never come across and I can't remember how but it was said that these are from the middle/upper classes who look down upon and regard tourists as riff-raff.

But being "respectable" and someone who "warrants respect" in my opinion can mean two entirely different things.

Being "respectable" can mean to appear to be clean-living, hard working, law abiding etc etc. It is a general description that can easily be a facade.

A person who warrants respect is one that earns it and as has been stated can come from any social strata or background.

I know a great many Dominican people who I have the utmost respect for - but they come from all sorts of backgrounds - it is not exclusive.

:glasses:

Rio

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
Is a respectable Dominican any different than a respectable person of any other nationality?

I'm thinking not.

Honesty, integrity, charity, sincerity, politeness, thrift, kindness, respect of others, loyalty, trustworthiness, and dependability are but some of the traits of "respectable" people wherever they live.

Notice that social class and money are NOT on the list.

ExtremeR

Silver
Mar 22, 2006
Respectable Dominicans: A wealthy "family" man/woman who tells you pay taxes but in reality evades it, who can get you more wealthy locals for business contacts, so you can milk more of them...Their main reason to live is to look down in the disrepectable "working class" Dominicans who hears bachata or drink beer in a Colmadon.

My Version of Respectable Dominicans: A man/woman who abides to the law, respect and help his peers and neighbors and even strangers without looking from which family the needed individual came from.

GringoCArlos

Retired Ussername
Jan 9, 2002
In my other post to which you refer, I was not trying to imply that I respect these people that do what I described. (sorry if that was the meaning you got from my post). I have known a few dominicanos like this, who to anyone on the street appear to be "respectable" successful businessmen or professionals, do the things which I described, but in the same breath will make comments about others or foreigners in a negative way, innocent or guilty of the same things they are doing. They also tend to brag about their contacts, their family heritage, their money,etc. Who cares?

I respect people who take care of their families, help out a neighbor in need, and do it themselves without looking to others to solve their problems, financially or otherwise. They can assist a visitor or foreigner, no matter where they were born, without being condescending or acting as if you are asking them to give up a pound of flesh to do so. If they don't know or can't help, they will offer to ask someone they know who can help out. They know how to enjoy the simple things in life, and to be happy with the small daily joys life gives, even if lacking in something larger which is missing in their lives.

I don't know anyone of "importance", or high up in Domincan politics, or even wealthy, here. I know plenty of middle-class dominicans who are "respectable" and whom respect others. I have also met some very nice folks who don't have much, whom I consider respectable, and they work hard to stay that way.

Sorry if anyone felt I was being "boorish". It was not my intent.

Last edited:
Sep 19, 2005
The term as applied here in the question is relative to each person.

It can have a general consensus, but I doubt we can narrow it down to some sentence that fits everyones idea.

I subscribe to the notion that everyone I meet is given respect until the moment THEY loose it. how ever, and when ever that may happen.

of course the instant I see some people for the first time..the view I have relieves them of that respect on the spot...

I would say that to ME a respectable Dominican( it actually doesnt matter what nationality they are it is the same) is someone who will not lie to me. Someone who is responsible for their actions.
someone who is compassionate to others even if in a token way( they dont have to be on a crusade).

I know others will include how they dress and how they fit into society and I cant say that is wrong......becuase even the poor can be respectable in my book

but I can see that the context the question was asked , can carry a lot of weight..

bad bob

cobraboy

Jul 24, 2004
I respect people who take care of their families, help out a neighbor in need, and do it themselves without looking to others to solve their problems, financially or otherwise. They can assist a visitor or foreigner, no matter where they were born, without being condescending or acting as if you are asking them to give up a pound of flesh to do so. If they don't know or can't help, they will offer to ask someone they know who can help out. They know how to enjoy the simple things in life, and to be happy with the small daily joys life gives, even if lacking in something larger which is missing in their lives.
+1........

cobraboy

Jul 24, 2004
I subscribe to the notion that everyone I meet is given respect until the moment THEY loose it. how ever, and when ever that may happen.
I'm ~polite~ to everyone I meet without expectations.

The ~respect~ has to be earned, and the price is high.

But I can still be polite with scum.

Sep 19, 2005
I'm ~polite~ to everyone I meet without expectations.

The ~respect~ has to be earned, and the price is high.

But I can still be polite with scum.

If I analyze deeply...I may subscribe more to your view than I have admited....

I think it is how we differently define respect itself.

but i see when you say it the way you did, that respect is an achieved thing ...kind of like reputation

how many really respect themselves....when they ask themselves at night, alone

bad bob

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
I concur. Respectable can be many things, but it is NOT connected to money. In the hollars of West Virginia respect was taught at the table, in the home and in church.

It really hasn't changed all that much....

The great Mexican liberal, Benito Ju?rez said that "respecting others' rights was peace."

A lot to that...

HB

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
There's 'respectable', and then there's respectable. Sorry about bring quote marks into it again, but what I mean by that is the outwardly respectable but hypocritical types - you know the ones who make a big show of being charitable, pious, etc. but it really doesn't go beyond the surface, and the ones who are simply respectable without making too much of a show of it, as defined by the OP and most subsequent posters.

Malibook

Bronze
Jan 23, 2002
Of course respect has more than one meaning as does respectable.

When I say that I respect everybody until given reason not to, I mean that I respect their rights to life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness.
For example, I will not judge a book by it's cover or by the music that it likes.

Obviously I don't mean that I instantaneously admire everybody and hold them in high esteme.
My trust and admiration must be earned.

Malibook

Bronze
Jan 23, 2002
I concur. Respectable can be many things, but it is NOT connected to money. In the hollars of West Virginia respect was taught at the table, in the home and in church.

It really hasn't changed all that much....

The great Mexican liberal, Benito Ju?rez said that "respecting others' rights was peace."

A lot to that...

HB
A lot indeed.

SKing

Silver
Nov 22, 2007
And yet another take on the word 'respect': I don't understand it at all.

I often hear folks say they "have a lot of respect for so-and-so," but what would they do if they did not respect an individual? Would they approach them and push him/her around, kick her, slap him, taunt him? If you claim you don't respect her/him, then what's the alternative?

Yeah, that's what I thought. So, therefore, you folks can say all you want about the so-called 'R' word, but you know I'm right: you respect them no matter what. So, stop fooling yourselves, for while you may ignore someone you don't like, disrespecting them ain't it.

EXCUSE ME???!!!

Malibook

Bronze
Jan 23, 2002
Respect has different meanings.

Not respecting someone is not the same as disrespecting them.
It does not mean that one must dis' them and get violent.

I can respect someone's right to be undesirable but it does not mean that they have my respect (admiration).

I respect (avoid intruding) the space and threat of a cobra but it does not mean that I respect (admire) it.

Lambada

Gold
Mar 4, 2004
www.ginniebedggood.com
I often hear folks say they "have a lot of respect for so-and-so," but what would they do if they did not respect an individual? Would they approach them and push him/her around, kick her, slap him, taunt him? If you claim you don't respect her/him, then what's the alternative?

Yeah, that's what I thought. So, therefore, you folks can say all you want about the so-called 'R' word, but you know I'm right: you respect them no matter what. So, stop fooling yourselves, for while you may ignore someone you don't like, disrespecting them ain't it.

I respectfully disagree. I wouldn't touch, push, taunt etc - but I would ignore demonstrably. With someone who has greeted you publically for example, you can look straight through them AND make sure (non-verbally) that everyone present knows you have done this. I do this very rarely - last time was to an expat who had told porkies about my nearest & dearest. And I absolutely enjoyed it :) .

Status
Not open for further replies.