How do you correct a mistake on a car title

The Virginian

Bronze
Mar 16, 2007
The insurance finally decided to write off my car after the accident. I have satisfied all of the requests of the insurance and am waiting for the check. Now they are telling me the information on the title in the field marked Cedula/Passporte/RNC is an invalid number. It is not my Cedule or Passporte number and I have no idea if it is the dealers RNC or not. In any case they will not complete the process of my claim until this is corrected. Of course they inspected the title when they took money for the policy, but nothing was said about this mistake. I am told I must go to Santiago and discuss this with the dealer I purchased the car from and that he and I must go to the Tax office to correct it. If I own the car/title can I just go to the tax office here in POP and have this changed? Can you suggest any ideas rather than me going to Santiago, dealer, tax office? I see this turning into another long delay. thanks Phil

J D Sauser

Silver
Nov 20, 2004
www.hispanosuizainvest.com
The insurance finally decided to write off my car after the accident. I have satisfied all of the requests of the insurance and am waiting for the check. Now they are telling me the information on the title in the field marked Cedula/Passporte/RNC is an invalid number. It is not my Cedule or Passporte number and I have no idea if it is the dealers RNC or not. In any case they will not complete the process of my claim until this is corrected. Of course they inspected the title when they took money for the policy, but nothing was said about this mistake. I am told I must go to Santiago and discuss this with the dealer I purchased the car from and that he and I must go to the Tax office to correct it. If I own the car/title can I just go to the tax office here in POP and have this changed? Can you suggest any ideas rather than me going to Santiago, dealer, tax office? I see this turning into another long delay. thanks Phil

There is no way you would recognize the number on the matricula? Maybe your previous passport, or any other ID you may have been using at time of purchase?
Is there a mismatch of ID's also in the contract?
If you can't figure it out yourself you will most likely have to travel and speak to all sorts of people personally... as it might already be your experience too, you can't resolve much by phone around here.

... J-D

The Virginian

Bronze
Mar 16, 2007
Thanks J-D. I've looked at all of the documentation regarding the purchase of the car, including the insurance and can not find a matching number any where. So I have no idea where the number came from. thanks Phil

Rocky

Honorificabilitudinitatibus
Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
Thanks J-D. I've looked at all of the documentation regarding the purchase of the car, including the insurance and can not find a matching number any where. So I have no idea where the number came from. thanks Phil
I have a Cop friend who takes care of all our license bureau affairs, like plate renewals, etc.
I'm not sure if he could handle it for you, but if you are in the area (Sosua) I could put you two in touch.
He does have some connections, although I can't promise anything.

The Virginian

Bronze
Mar 16, 2007
Thanks Rocky, I may take you up on your offer. The original title is in route back to POP from Santa Domingo via Santiago, so until it arrives there is little I can do. It should be here before _________________. (You fill in the blank LOL). thanks Phil

Rocky

Honorificabilitudinitatibus
Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
Thanks Rocky, I may take you up on your offer. The original title is in route back to POP from Santa Domingo via Santiago, so until it arrives there is little I can do. It should be here before _________________. (You fill in the blank LOL). thanks Phil
Okie dokie.
Let me know, if and when.

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
I have the same problem. When I brought the car, the garage I used as the intermediary must have used a made up number. I never bothered to change the number and have never had a problem with either my insurance company or when renewing the placa etc. If they asked, I would have told them it was an old passport number. Yes, I have claimed twice on my insurance company.
I guess it depends on the insurance company, actually I use a broker and they handle everything, which makes life very easy.

As many of us keep reminding people on the board. If they can find an out they will, how ever small it may be. This is why you need to make sure your cedula, license etc are 100% legal. Fast trackers beware, eventually it will come back to bite you.

Last edited:

The Virginian

Bronze
Mar 16, 2007
Thanks Robert. I wish I had read your information and used your "it's an old passport number" answer, that would have probably worked. Once I get the orginial title I plan to go to the local tax office and find out first hand what it takes to get it changed to a valid number. I'll let you know. Thanks again. Phil, by the way, I too use a broker but so far he has not done anything for me except to tell me where to go and what to do. Including 2 trips to Santiago, lot of phone calls, running around in POP etc. I had hoped he would do these things as a broker, I was wrong.

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
I too use a broker but so far he has not done anything for me except to tell me where to go and what to do. Including 2 trips to Santiago, lot of phone calls, running around in POP etc. I had hoped he would do these things as a broker, I was wrong.

The ONLY broker I would recommend is Franco & Acra.
Everybody I know that uses them has nothing but good things to say about them. We have made a few claims at DR1 and never had a problem and they handle everything.

Franco & Acra Tecniseguros S.A.
Av. Winston Churchill #32
Santo Domingo
Tel: (809) 535 8388
They have English speaking staff.

The Virginian

Bronze
Mar 16, 2007
Thanks to Blanco Bautista (In Moca) the mystery is solved. YAHOOOOO ! I picked up my title to my new/used car and discovered it too had the same number in the CUDELA/Passporte/RNC field. I explained in my bad Spanish, that the insurance company will not pay out on a claim because this number is invalid, not my cedula, passport and certainly not an RNC number on the title for the car I wrecked. Well after 5 hours we left Bautista with the same VALID title's and a letter of certification from the Tax department in Santiago. ALL AT BLANCO's TIME AND EXPENSE. HE MADE OVER A DOZEN PHONE CALLS AND DID NOT CHARGE US ANY MONEY FOR HIS TIME, PHONE CALLS OR CERTIFICATION document. When we purchased our first new/used car we did not have a Cedula so the Tax department issued us an RNC number. We were none the wiser at the time and did not question the document. I was told that RNC is a number issued to any business for tax purpose but apparently they are used for other reasons. I can prove it I have a certified letter. LOL. Thanks everyone for your help and advice. Our insurance broker could have done the same thing as Blanco did, but he never even offered to help. Yet Blanco took the responsibility and helped, nice man. THANKS BLANCO !!!!

The Virginian

Bronze
Mar 16, 2007
Rocky, thanks for your kind offer of help. I think we are set for now. But I'm sure my insurance broker can find something else wrong to avoid paying us. LOL

POP Bad Boy

Bronze
Jun 27, 2004
We bought a vehicle from Blanco too...........

Thanks to Blanco Bautista (In Moca) the mystery is solved. YAHOOOOO ! I picked up my title to my new/used car and discovered it too had the same number in the CUDELA/Passporte/RNC field. I explained in my bad Spanish, that the insurance company will not pay out on a claim because this number is invalid, not my cedula, passport and certainly not an RNC number on the title for the car I wrecked. Well after 5 hours we left Bautista with the same VALID title's and a letter of certification from the Tax department in Santiago. ALL AT BLANCO's TIME AND EXPENSE. HE MADE OVER A DOZEN PHONE CALLS AND DID NOT CHARGE US ANY MONEY FOR HIS TIME, PHONE CALLS OR CERTIFICATION document. When we purchased our first new/used car we did not have a Cedula so the Tax department issued us an RNC number. We were none the wiser at the time and did not question the document. I was told that RNC is a number issued to any business for tax purpose but apparently they are used for other reasons. I can prove it I have a certified letter. LOL. Thanks everyone for your help and advice. Our insurance broker could have done the same thing as Blanco did, but he never even offered to help. Yet Blanco took the responsibility and helped, nice man. THANKS BLANCO !!!!

..........and he was VERY helpful. He even had the car delivered to POP for us and we just paid the balance to the place where they left the car..........he said there was no need for us to go back to Moca after we found the car and left a deposit...........He also had the Matricula sent to Puerto Plata and we picked that up locally too.............no EXTRA fees....

..........Very nice people to deal with...........