Anthony santos in dolce

Status
Not open for further replies.

AZB

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
No need to go to pasion or ilusion to see bachateros, they also play in places like montebar, dizzy ranch etc. But occasionally they also are invited to play in trendy places like Dolce and tribecca etc. Anthony santos & krisspy are going to be playing in dolce this saturday. So if people continue to insist upon going to pasion to see the same bands, then you all know where they feel more comfortable at.
Just a point I wanted to make to everyone that these bands play everywhere and whole year round, everywhere.
AZB

AnnaC

Gold
Jan 2, 2002
That's great AZB but did you ever think that maybe these bands might not be at your respectable bars during the most traveled times of the year? People visiting for a week or two do not have a choice of venues but are hoping just to catch a band in their week of travel no matter where they are performing.

It's the end of May, not that many are traveling at this time.

Stop putting people down in every post. I know you can do better.

AZB

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
ANNC, you don't live here so you don't know. hahahaha
There are a ton of bands playing all over your local bars every week. So don't tell me people only have a chance to see them in a whore house, because they happen to be in town in that weekend. I want to see how many people will go see them in dolce. maybe not even one dr1er. But somehow if they play in pasion, people seem to be in town and have the urgent desire to see them. Hahahah
AZB

AnnaC

Gold
Jan 2, 2002
AZB speaks the truth, people may not like it, but its the reality here.

So I am scum if a band is not performing at a respectable bar during my vacation? Should I plan my vacation around where a band will be performing?

It's fine for you that live there 24/7 but come on we are on vacation and want to go see a band, what choice do we have? Miss all bands because they are approved by people that live there 24/7 and can pick and choose where and when they see the bands?

That is not being realistic.

Adrian Bye

Bronze
Jul 7, 2002
Anna, as an italian-canadian grandmother, if you understood the context locally of what you're saying, I think you'd probably not be posting that.

AZB's tone is a little rough at times, but he speaks the truth. There are lots of options to go see bands and lots of bands performing at any given time. You just don't have to go to places like Pasion. You're getting a distorted view on DR1 due to the focus of some of the posters.

Music

Bronze
Apr 19, 2002
www.flickr.com
I don't think u have seen Anna's point, this is what I understood from her post. If your a tourist you don't have much choice, I have missed seeing Frank Reyes twice when I have visited the DR because I arrived one day after he was performing. I do see what AZB and adrianb are saying as I would not want to be at some whore house club in the DR or anywhere as a matter of fact.
But some people who go to see performers in such a club might not going for the whores and are going to see the singer perform because they don't have much of a choice. They don't get to pick and choose where to see them because they do not live in the DR!

Your lucky as you have a choice :)

Marilyn

Bronze
May 7, 2002
I don't think u have seen Anna's point, this is what I understood from her post. If your a tourist you don't have much choice, I have missed seeing Frank Reyes twice when I have visited the DR because I arrived one day after he was performing. I do see what AZB and adrianb are saying as I would not want to be at some whore house club in the DR or anywhere as a matter of fact.
But some people who go to see performers in such a club might not going for the whores and are going to see the singer perform because they don't have much of a choice. They don't get to pick and choose where to see them because they do not live in the DR!

Your lucky as you have a choice :)

1. AnnaC's point is very easy to see
2. I can detect an attitude and arrogance in AZB's post.

The point is not to see any band that's playing, but to see the one you want to see and if during the two weeks that she's here Anthony Santos is not playing in a "respectable place" and he's the one she wants to see, not Frank Reyes, not Zacarias or any other, then she'll go where he is playing if that's her wish, what's so wrong with that?

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
If you liked a particular band back in Canada and they had an upcoming gig in a whore house, would you go and see them? I think most woman on this board would take a pass.

I just asked the Dominicans I have in my office and they all said the same thing.
PASS! Why? They just wouldn't want to be seen in whore house or their friends etc to know. Then again, this is also very much class dependent.

You really need to live here to understand how this dynamic works, regardless of how often you visit or how much you think you know about the DR. It's very subtle, but very obvious :)

Also, most local performers are performing pretty much non-stop all over the country, all year round. We are not talking about the Stones, Police etc :)

Sep 19, 2005
I am weighing in here, because I go often for one and I go out every chance I get to see acts.

I have been to Dolce a few times. Onc ethey had a singer there...someone no one ever heard of...

they dont seems to post who is playing unless it is one of the trendy on line websites.

you see small bill board road signs for certain places all the time

You will never see and add for Dolce or ZOOM on a billboard or telephone pole...so good luck finding if some one good is playing there.

As much as it is true that there is a segment of dominican society that wont go to certain clubs no matter who is playing because of their reputation or that of the club.

if one were to actaully go to Pasion on a night where a big name was playing.( oh oh oh I have my hand up!!) one would rub shoulders with just about ever other segment of dominican society.

the club is packed with married couples from 25 to 60, family groups..middle class and up...because the poor cant afford the 300-1000 peso door charge.

believe me...you would NEVER notice it was a whore house...

How does someone who doesnt go there know what it is like when a big act goes?

I am sure it is the same for many people just like it is for me...it is JUST a pl;ace to dance and listen to the act... and if we need to say hello to the Chipos and AZB's and Hillbillies, ect ect of Santiago...we just have to figure we are gdoing it some other time...no problem....the stink washes off I am sure...

on another note...I know Dolce is small...did I say small...I ment SMALL.. and when that BIG act plays there..it will be sardine room only baby!!!!

and they have to kick the door charge up as well....

There will be no dancing at all is my guess when a big act plays there...

someone tell me I am full of "IT"...now

I have been to almost EVERY club in Santiago...I have eyes and ears...

I have a open mind as well........but I dont carry a silver spoon on my shoulder!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1

Anna if you find Anthony Santos is playing at Ilusions...you WILL NOT BE A PUTA if you go listen to him there!!!!!

no matter what anyone else says.

but it might be a good idea when having tea with Leonels wife the next day, to not mention it...

bad bob

AnnaC

Gold
Jan 2, 2002
Robert we are not talking about Canada. ;)

I think the point here is that people that had no clue where the whore houses are and have been to see a band and wish to share pictures or a video about the show, should not be bashed and therefore the threads get hijacked and the subject completely lost with the same old rants. ;)

Sep 19, 2005
whenn people come to america from any other country in the world....do they worry if then the uppity from the Hamptons will accept them??

I doubt it... they dont worry if the Greenwich CT tea club willlook down their noses at them...they dont care

it is vacation time and the getting has to be done while the getting is good.

they see the some singer they love playing is some roadside dive...they go see the show!!!!

they dont analyze how it fits into the minds of the Polo Club rich!!!!!

yes for the umpteenth time, there are places CERTAIN people wont go..

anyone from the Hamptons country club here to weigh in??

bad bob

Mar 2, 2008
Okay, we get the point of being judged by where we are seen and with whom.

However, please keep in mind that some of best performers have performed their best performances at small "irregular" venues. Additionally, please remember some of the greatest jazz musicians (and others) got their start in houses of ill-repute.

So for all the snobs and the "holier-than-tho" self-adulators out there, thank you for the heads-up. But if I ever want to see an show, regardless of the venue, I shall, and without even a thought of how I might be perceived by others. Life's too short to worry about such trivial concerns.

Sholly24

I'm an athiest loving Obama fan!
Mar 5, 2006
Why compare apples and oranges?

whenn people come to america from any other country in the world....do they worry if then the uppity from the Hamptons will accept them??

I doubt it... they dont worry if the Greenwich CT tea club willlook down their noses at them...they dont care

they see the some singer they love playing is some roadside dive...they go see the show!!!!

bad bob

I think that you and Anna really nailed it down to a T.

There are some people that live in the dominican republic and keep comparing tourists that visit for 1-2 weeks to expats/dominicans that live there 24x7. Talk of comparing apples to oranges.

So if I like a particular musician and he will ONLY be playing at PASION while I am there, I should not go because I worry about what a dominican/expat will think of me?. No way!. I do whatever I want to do as long as it is not againt the law or it does not affect anyone else. It is my vacation, my time and my money. F@ck everybody else!.

It does not make sense to compare a tourist visiting for 1-2 weeks with a dominican/expat living there 24X7. These 2 groups are facing an entirely different set of issues.

Sholly

AZB

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
Oh god, you folks just can't live without your whorehouses. So please don't bore us with your stupid questions: what makes a dominican respectable? How can I meet a quality girl? Why middle class dominicans won't talk to me? blah blah blah.
AZB

AnnaC

Gold
Jan 2, 2002
Oh god, you folks just can't live without your whorehouses. So please don't bore us with your stupid questions: what makes a dominican respectable? How can I meet a quality girl? Why middle class dominicans won't talk to me? blah blah blah.
AZB

You're Off topic again!

We don't live there so allow us to be tourist without bashing us. If you're tired of answering stupid questions then don't. DR1 is supposed to be here to answer any questions about vacations and sharing those vacations with others as well as gathering info on living in the DR.

If you're bored take some time off.

Mr. Lu

Bronze
Mar 26, 2007
?

I think that you and Anna really nailed it down to a T.

There are some people that live in the dominican republic and keep comparing tourists that visit for 1-2 weeks to expats/dominicans that live there 24x7. Talk of comparing apples to oranges.

So if I like a particular musician and he will ONLY be playing at PASION while I am there, I should not go because I worry about what a dominican/expat will think of me?. No way!. I do whatever I want to do as long as it is not againt the law or it does not affect anyone else. It is my vacation, my time and my money. F@ck everybody else!.

It does not make sense to compare a tourist visiting for 1-2 weeks with a dominican/expat living there 24X7. These 2 groups are facing an entirely different set of issues.

Sholly

How can you tell the difference between an expat and a 2 week tourist? You can't. Just in the same way you can't differentiate between a thief in an Armani suit and a community activist in a pair of Timberland boots. It's all about prejudices. We all have them, it's just how we react to them. It is apple and oranges, but people have measuring sticks and measure everyone with the same stick.

As per doing what you want as long as it doesn't affect others? There is truth to that, but what you take for granted in your country of origin can be taken as an insult here (and vice versa) and most visitors either aren't aware or could care less of this. At the end of the day you (expat or tourist) are still a visitor. I ask, would you put your feet up on someone's table, even if you allowed yourself to do it in your own home? Probably not. So don't "put your feet up" in "my home."

There is also a double standards and superiority complexes associated with all of what you posters are commenting about, but that is for another thread and another time.

Mr. Lu

Mr. Lu

Bronze
Mar 26, 2007
This is true...

DR1 is supposed to be here to answer any questions about vacations and sharing those vacations with others as well as gathering info on living in the DR.

At times some of us forget what the boards are about. It's a two way street, but at the end of the day we are here to post about our experiences and know how so that it can help others.

Let's keep that in mind as we post.

Mr. Lu

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004

bad bob
Bob, you miss part of the point. You can go anywhere you want to at any time. No one is debating that.

But when you (not the 'you" you, but the generalized you) do go to, say, a whorehouse to see a band, it ends up being a reflection on ALL of us red-headed/fair-skinned Gringos, because it is US, the folks who live here 24/7, that have to live with the reputation that y'all on vacation create for us.

Tourist behavior makes it more difficult for residents, because we all ~look~ the same to Dominicans, MOL.

Status
Not open for further replies.