Town or Playa Bonita?

kylee98

May 27, 2008
Hi All!

I will be traveling through the DR with my husband and 10 year old daughter this summer. We were planning on spending more than a week in Las Terrenas. We will have no car.

We found two places for about the same price - one in town and one at Playa Bonita. (only difference - Bonita has no TV)

Which place would you all suggest? Is there any reason to choose one over the other?

Thanks!

susan77

Jan 19, 2008
we loved staying near town....

...and being able to walk into town along the beach for meals, ice cream and checking the internet! Playa Bonita is also pretty far away--

appleman

Dec 18, 2003
Hi All!

I will be traveling through the DR with my husband and 10 year old daughter this summer. We were planning on spending more than a week in Las Terrenas. We will have no car.

We found two places for about the same price - one in town and one at Playa Bonita. (only difference - Bonita has no TV)

Which place would you all suggest? Is there any reason to choose one over the other?

Thanks!

With no car, you would feel very isolated at playa bonita. It is a georgeous spot, but there is not much in the way of amenities within walking distance. You don't say what the name of the place is in town. If you would give the name, someone might be able to share some insight on the resort/hotel to make it easier to choose the best location for you.

I suggest staying close to or in town and take a day trip to see playa bonita.

bob

lollipop

Mar 28, 2008
Agree w/Appleman & Susan, without a car the best option is the town. What hotel are you planning on staying?

Squat

Tropical geek in Las Terrenas
Jan 1, 2002
Just a word to say that Playa Bonita is a more upscale area than "downtown Las Terrenas". You'll see nicer villas, and a quieter atmosphere. However it might not be the best place for people who go out a lot at night if they don't have a car...
Driving from Playa Bonita to the village of Las Terrenas takes 10mn.

Juniper

Apr 15, 2004
I live in Las Terrenas and have never heard of Corte del Mar. I would be skeptical to stay anywhere in LT without getting some references first.

lollipop

Mar 28, 2008
It's on the way to the El Portillo Airport, I saw it 2 days ago. I'm new in the area but it seems like that place is not old either.

Squat

Tropical geek in Las Terrenas
Jan 1, 2002
I live in Las Terrenas and have never heard of Corte del Mar.
Corte del Mar is ok... It is right there in Playa Las Terrenas, somewhere between Pizza Coco and Dolce Vita...

Juniper

Apr 15, 2004
OK, I looked at the website. It looks OK but the rooms seem very small. It also looks like a new place so I imagine it won't be bad. I'll have to check it out next time I go by. It doesn't look like they are airconditioned which is an important detail this time of the year. VERY HOT!

Juniper

Mar 27, 2006
The road is quite busy and noisy over on that part of town. You might want to consider staying along the beach in one of the resorts on the west side closer to the restaurant district. Kari Beach, Alisei Hotel, Colibri are all decent. Alisei is the most upscale with AC, wireless internet, TV, good services, full kitchen and nice pool. Not all places have these amenities. Either way, enjoy your stay!

caipiranha

Feb 15, 2008

Hi,
what do you prefer?

At Playa Bonita and Playa Cozon you?ll have very beautiful beaches, you can walk along for miles. There are only some small resorts and (if I remember right) 2 bars - a very nice place to relax. To go to Las Terrenas you can take a motoconcho - in April it was 3$ for a concho (at nighttime double price).

Las Terrenas is very busy with lots of noise and traffic, sometimes chaos rules. Also the sea isn?t clean at all, don?t think about swimming in the Las Terrenas Bay, you?ll have to walk a bit or use a swimming-pool.. But you?ll find there really everything a town can offer you.

Hope I could help You!

Saludos