And the man talks!!!

Mr. Lu

Bronze
Mar 26, 2007
?

If you speak Spanish and value your sanity, read the original.

La República - Imbert Barrera narra horas finales del dictador Trujillo

I don't understand why you would have to value your sanity to read this article.

Still though, I read the article and am fascinated with this particular moment in history. I can only imagine the minutes leading up to the assassination and how it 'd be a great scene in a movie. I mean only hours before the plot takes off and these guys are about to kill El Chivo. One small mistake and they are all goners. One shot ricochets, Chivo survives they all get caught, and Trujillo becomes more repressive. Dominican history is changed forever. It fascinates me. I only wish I had a time machine to travel back to the Malecon on that day. To see what it was like. To see what the DR was like back then. I've picked my dads brain about it, but I still can't get enough of it. I have a vivid imagination, so history provides enough story lines for me to dream up.

This guy Imbert, what's the general consensus on him? Anyone have any details on him other than he is a hero?

Mr. Lu

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
That translation was atrocious!!...
The story, the full story, will probably never, ever, be complete.

Imbert Barrera has lived well since that day, especially after 1962...So has his family...

His c?dula says "National Hero" as his occupation...

HB

Mar 2, 2008
Mr. Lu, I agree it is a fascinating story. And you nailed it by stating it would be a great scene in a movie.

The book, Trujillo: The Death of the Dictator by Diederich, Bernar is great. It gives a wonderful blow by blow description of the assasination and the aftermath, and is an easy and fun read.

Mr. Lu

Bronze
Mar 26, 2007
Thanks Catcher, I will get that book.

As for what HB said, though the story will never be fully known, where can we go to find the closest version of the "truth?" I know many theories exist, but where can we go and find all those stories in relation to those final moments? Anyone have any clue?

Mr. Lu

Mar 2, 2008
Mr Lu,
The first book I mention is about the best I've read in that regard, but the follow books are also very good:

The Dictator Next Door: The Good Neighbor Policy and the Trujillo Regime in the Dominican Republic, 1930-1945

Foundations of Despotism: Peasants, the Trujillo Regime, and Modernity in Dominican History

The Militarization of Culture in the Dominican Republic, from the Captains General to General Trujillo (Studies in War, Society, and the Militar)

There are a few others as well, each pertaining to a specific aspect of the years of Trujillo's rule.

Last edited:

Mr. Lu

Bronze
Mar 26, 2007
Catcher, I've read the first two you've suggested. They provided some good perspective, though I'll have to get the last one you mentioned.

Cheers,

Mr. Lu

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
I don't understand why you would have to value your sanity to read this article.
As HB said, it was the Babelfinglish.

Still though, I read the article and am fascinated with this particular moment in history. I can only imagine the minutes leading up to the assassination and how it 'd be a great scene in a movie. I mean only hours before the plot takes off and these guys are about to kill El Chivo. One small mistake and they are all goners. One shot ricochets, Chivo survives they all get caught, and Trujillo becomes more repressive. Dominican history is changed forever. It fascinates me. I only wish I had a time machine to travel back to the Malecon on that day. To see what it was like. To see what the DR was like back then. I've picked my dads brain about it, but I still can't get enough of it. I have a vivid imagination, so history provides enough story lines for me to dream up.

Found this on YouTube recently:
<object width="425" height="355"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/PHXA2oqEpdw&hl=en"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/PHXA2oqEpdw&hl=en" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="355"></embed></object>

Sep 20, 2003
I think that article backs what I posted years ago. The plot had already been formed BEFORE the Mirabal murder. Imbert joined after the sisters death. (Apparently their death did have a strong influence on him, but I never did ask him directly about that, as I stated in my post. However, he never mentioned them to me at all.)

He also confirmed what I wrote about 2 years ago, that Trujillo never fired a shot, that Trujillo did not die fighting. That was part of the Trujillo myth.

He also rejected the CIA role, something I also wrote about. This was a Dominican plot, not an American one.

Sep 20, 2003
Did the Babelfish translation make a mistake?

Imbert said that his brother Segundo's murder was one of his motivations? Is that what he said in Spanish? His brother was murdered AFTER Trujillo was killed. He brother had been in prison(from memory) since 1955, almost 6 years. I didn't bring up segundo, because he had been murdered, and because of his brother's rumored connection to the Mirabals' murder(only a rumor).

A.Hidalgo

Silver
Apr 28, 2006
This is what the articles states in reference to his brother Segundo. What's in bold basically says " he suffered the assassination of his brother Segundo Imbert in La Victoria prison". The way its written does give the feel of his brothers murder being one of the reasons for assassinating Trujillo. As you pointed out correctly Segundo was killed after Trujillo's assassination, May 31 to be exact, so his death could not have been a motivating factor but perhaps his imprisonment.

El deseo de matar a Trujillo se acrecent? en m? una ma?ana que me encontraba en la casa de Estrella Sahdal?, que viv?amos cerca en la calle Caonabo, de Gazcue. Urania de Sahdal?, su esposa, nos mostr? un peri?dico que publicaba la muerte de las hermanas Mirabal, y entonces dije en voz alta: ?Hay que matar a Trujillo??. Imbert afirma que el crimen de las Mirabal lo llen? de indignaci?n, aunque antes ?l tambi?n hab?a sido encarcelado y sufrido el asesinato de su hermano Segundo Imbert en la c?rcel La Victoria.

La República - Imbert Barrera narra horas finales del dictador Trujillo

GringoCArlos

Retired Ussername
Jan 9, 2002
Not tryiing to hijack the thread, but whatever became of Trujillo's driver in this event, Zacarias de la Cruz - did he escape the fight injured as described, get treatment, and live his life, or did Trujillo's son then torture and kill him for being a suspected collaborator?

A.Hidalgo

Silver
Apr 28, 2006
He went to live in Spain after the fall of the Trujillo regime. When Balaguer was elected president in 1966 he came back and was given the top post in the Consejo Estatal del Az?car (CEA) in charge of recruiting Haitians to cut cane. He died at the ripe old age of 93 on June 3rd 1999. When he died Leonel ordered he be buried with military honors. He had the rank of captain as Trujillo's driver.

Last edited:
Sep 20, 2003
I spent lastnight reviweing my interview notes with Imbert. The way Diederich describes the evolution of the plot in his book is vague and murky. I made a list of 14 questions before I met with General Imbert, the priority was to clarify the order of events, the timeline. The first question I asked him was,"Who recruited you?" Imbert responded that de la Maza had approached him through his friend Estrella Sahdahla. The way Diederich describes it, Estrella and de la Maza were friends but did not confide in each other that they were both planning on killing Trujillo until a week after the Mirabal murders. It was at that meeting that Estrella told de la maza that Imbert had already decided to kill Trujillo. That is what lead de laMaza to approach Imbert, that de La Maza knew that Imbert was set on killing Trujillo. There is a lot more to all this.

Diederich claims that Imbert used to visit his brother once a week in prison and that in 1960 his brother told him that the only way he would ever get out of prison was if Trujillo was "physically eliminated", killed.

I then asked him who started the plot. He told me it was General Juan Tomas Diaz and de la Maza, and that de la Maza had wanted revenge for his brother's murder. He told me that more than once and so did others present at that interview. De la Maza had approached General Diaz in early 1960, when he was a commanding general in (from memory) Santiago. De la Maza kept urging action against Trujillo and General Diaz agreed that Trujillo had to be removed. When General Diaz was transferred in July to SD, his office was in the national palace, down the hall from trujillo. De la Maza urged him to recruit soldiers in the palace to turn on Trujillo. Diaz told him he doubted any soldier there would.

The Mirabals were killed on November 25th.

The CIA was in negotiations with many, many, different groups. By August the American officials in SD had decided on backing the Diaz group. It was the fact that Diaz was part of the group that sold them on that particular group(as well as strong anti communist views). All of this predated the Mirabal murders. Imbert was brought into the plot sometime in December.

That Trujillo did not die fighting ,as every single biography I've ever read on him states,(including Dominican sources like Genral Espailliat) caught me completely off guard.

Imbert told me that he tried to speak with de al Cruz TWICE in the decades that followed, but that de la Cruz ALWAYS refused to speak with him. De la Cruz stuck with his official story(Trujillo died fighting) and went with it to his grave. (He was a retired army Major)

More of this later.

Last edited:

Lambada

Gold
Mar 4, 2004
www.ginniebedggood.com

queenvkk

Jun 3, 2008
As HB said, it was the Babelfinglish.

the history is amazing but its what his family indured thats worse that night was a tragic one most people say his body was missing but my grandfather who past away last year Ramon Berges the imbassador of dominican republic during that time got hold of his body i perfer not to say how but he cleaned him up and my family fleed..........

if your intrested just let me know and ill post more. let you know how it was....

queenvkk

Jun 3, 2008
Not tryiing to hijack the thread, but whatever became of Trujillo's driver in this event, Zacarias de la Cruz - did he escape the fight injured as described, get treatment, and live his life, or did Trujillo's son then torture and kill him for being a suspected collaborator?

trujillos son died in paris he crashed a farari

queenvkk

Jun 3, 2008
Mr. Lu, I agree it is a fascinating story. And you nailed it by stating it would be a great scene in a movie.

The book, Trujillo: The Death of the Dictator by Diederich, Bernar is great. It gives a wonderful blow by blow description of the assasination and the aftermath, and is an easy and fun read.

please.. tell me how did describe the aftermath