Trojan Batteries in SD

boca chica dave

Sep 25, 2004
Does anyone know where they sell trojan batteries for a good price in SD? or are people using a different brand now? we've heard a price of RD4,800 for one. Seems high. Thanks.

Rocky

Honorificabilitudinitatibus
Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
Does anyone know where they sell trojan batteries for a good price in SD? or are people using a different brand now? we've heard a price of RD4,800 for one. Seems high. Thanks.
I agree that it's high, but haven't heard of a better price anywhere.
Here is what I can tell you that might help.
Despite the reputation of being the very best, I have personal experience of them not lasting as long as the black ones.
For that reason, I bought the black ones, the last time around, a few months ago, in Santiago for $3,450 RD apiece.
You can surely find them in Santo Domingo for that price too.

boca chica dave

Sep 25, 2004
I agree that it's high, but haven't heard of a better price anywhere.
Here is what I can tell you that might help.
Despite the reputation of being the very best, I have personal experience of them not lasting as long as the black ones.
For that reason, I bought the black ones, the last time around, a few months ago, in Santiago for $3,450 RD apiece.

What do mean by the black ones. name etc. I need 4. thanks!!

Rocky

Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
What do mean by the black ones. name etc. I need 4. thanks!!
I should have been more specific.
The Trojan Black.
Here's a pic.

IMG_2912600x450.jpg

boca chica dave

Sep 25, 2004
Rocky, I checked the trojanbattery.com website and don't find the Black. Oh well, whatever they may be if they last longer and are cheaper we'll try to find them.

Skippy1

Feb 21, 2008
Last time I was in Plazza Llama I saw black and Red Trojan 6v batteries RD$4500 each.
Also found some in Americano Departemento on J F Kennedy but that was about 6 weeks ago might have sold them all by now.

Skippy1

gamana

Apr 24, 2006
Agm

You can also now get AGM (gel) batteries in SDQ. I bought some. They are reliable, maintenance free, have a 1 year warranty. They are 12V and go for RD$14,000. Not cheap but I think worth it.

Rocky

Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
Although gel batteries are good and require no maintenance, you get much more for your money with the lead acid type.

gamana

Apr 24, 2006
Although gel batteries are good and require no maintenance, you get much more for your money with the lead acid type.

Well, if you look at the time you buy them, then yes, but in the long run i tend to disagree. I have bought, and bought so many lead acid batteries that lasted a couple years max that I decided to switch to AGM. The upfront cost is of course higher but in the long run it is a winner. The gel batteries are sealed and therefore cannot be "reconditioned" like those third or fourth generation lead acid batteries you get here in DR.

Rocky

Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
Well, if you look at the time you buy them, then yes, but in the long run i tend to disagree. I have bought, and bought so many lead acid batteries that lasted a couple years max that I decided to switch to AGM. The upfront cost is of course higher but in the long run it is a winner. The gel batteries are sealed and therefore cannot be "reconditioned" like those third or fourth generation lead acid batteries you get here in DR.
According to the inverter companies, like Trace/Xantrex, the gel batteries do not last proportionately to their added cost and that lead acid are cheaper in the long run.
Are you saying that you get more than 12 years out of them?

Skippy1

Feb 21, 2008
Lead Acid vs Gel.

GEL.
Ok Gel batteries are so called maint free however they are very susceptible to heat.
Are not very good for deep cycle usage with different charging characteristics.
Expensive.
shorter life cycle
Some tend to be bigger in size comparison.
Harder to recycle.

Lead Acid
cheaper
require maintenance
Last longer than Gel if maintained
Better on deep cycle
Higher output and power characteristics.
Better charging characteristics
Do not like heat and must be positioned carefully...out out the sun.
The acid is a hazard and must be carefully transported.

I would advise Lead acid every time.

Skippy1

boca chica dave

Sep 25, 2004
If not, you could call the place in Santiago to ask if they have an outlet in Santo Domingo or know where you can get them.
Trace Luis Hernandez 809-971-9144.

Rocky, I just talked to the Trojan exporter in Miami. They do have a Black Trojan which is marketed in the DR. They export to 3 customers in SD and one is Luis Hernandez. Thanks.

Simon & Nicky

Bronze
Feb 3, 2004
www.simon-hall.co.uk
Marco's Batteries

Marco and I were both in need of new batteries at the same time - He was going to attempt to wash his out and add new acid while I was in too much need. I bought my (cheaper) batteries in Price Mart while he bought Trojans a month later. It will be interesting to see who comes out with the better set in two years' time.

This time around there have been two important lessons that I've learnt about depp cycle batteries:

1) As hinted by Marco, Red Trojans are VERY expensive but don't seem to offer any more service in the long run. (Mine ran for two and a half years).

2) If your batteries start to die then change them immediately. I had no idea that I had problems until my inverter packed up having virtually boiled the batteries overnight. I wasted about six weeks thinking that I must have a rogue battery among my bank of eight and trying to find it. Consequently, the final cost was two massive electricity bills (the bills went up by enough to buy 4 new batteries), a broken and repaired Trace inverter and two trips to Santiago.

After the last experience, I'm very tempted to just go out and buy new batteries every 2 years, regardless of performance. Tme will tell ......

Rocky

Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
Red Trojans are VERY expensive but don't seem to offer any more service in the long run. (Mine ran for two and a half years).
I had a bank of 12 batteries, all purchased at the same time and all linked together, 4 were the red and 8 blacks, and the reds gave up the ghost 6 months before the blacks.
The only batteries that outlasted the blacks were US 2000, (lasted 6 months more than the blacks) which are hard to find around here, so the blacks it is for now.

gamana

Apr 24, 2006
According to the inverter companies, like Trace/Xantrex, the gel batteries do not last proportionately to their added cost and that lead acid are cheaper in the long run.
Are you saying that you get more than 12 years out of them?

I will let you know in about 10 years!!!

With 2 years running now, I wouldn't trade my 16 AGM for any lead acid batteries. I don't have to worry about the maintenance and hazard that comes with it.

Rocky

Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
Trojan Blacks $3,950

Does anyone know of any US Battery suppliers with inventory on the North Coast or even in Santiago?

It looks like I will need 8 batteries soon.
Excerpts from posts in this thread.

Trace Luis Hernandez 809-971-9144.

ibmeubu

Nov 1, 2007
Hello, I am looking to get batteries.... was thinking of the red or black trojans. Are you saying that the gel batteries are better to get? What would be the size of the inverter to hold 2 gel batteries?

Rocky

Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
Hello, I am looking to get batteries.... was thinking of the red or black trojans. Are you saying that the gel batteries are better to get? What would be the size of the inverter to hold 2 gel batteries?
Deep cycle lead acid are the ideal batteries and are the most recommended by inverter manufacturers.
It's been my experience that the Blacks last longer and cost less.

TraceBats600x450.jpg