Pico Duarte June

dc2000

Jun 1, 2008
I am thinking of climbing Pico Duarte June 8th-10 with a guide through Rancho Baiguete. Right now I will be paying the fee for one person $560 (pretty steep). If anyone is interested in joining the fee drops considerably as more people are added. It includes lodging at Rancho Baiguete and a tent as well as food, equipment etc.

Theforceinme

Oct 19, 2007
www.facebook.com
Mee!!!

Well, exept for some issues: Is that $560 figure in US dollars? And why 8th to 10th? Those are work days and unfortunately I will be at work. What about the weekend, starting on the 7th?

AZB

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
most trips are for 4 days, this 2 day trip sounds fishy. The price is way too might. Go with a group and save a ton.
AZB

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Did you contact Camping Tours?? They are perhaps the most ecologically responsible tour group that leads groups to the Pico. June is about the last possible month due to weather issues.
I talked to the CEO of Camping just last week and that was what she told me.
The price, if it includes mules, food and guides is not all that much..
But it would go way down if there was a group;;

HB

Dolores1

DR1
May 3, 2000
www.
Unless you are a very experienced hiker, I recommend going with one of the groups that frequently organize these trips. Baiguate is a very good operation, and also Camping Tours. You want to avoid the mountain if it has been raining in the country, which is the case right now. The reason is that the roads become very muddy, making an already difficult route, treacherous. My impression is that one needs at least a week sans rain for the mud to dry out. That said, the people that do the trips, all the time, such as Baiguate, know what they will come across, so I would think they would be the ones to alert you as to when is a good or bad time to go.

The dates of 8, 9, 10 are for a fast-paced trip, but doable. When I went (in October), overnighted at La Cienega (after Manabao) and then got all the way up to the last camping ground -- the one where the government built a new site, at Valle de Lilis, way up from Comparticion -- in one day. It was a gruelsome tredge, but if you start out at 7am you will get to the Lilis site by daylight. Our camp leader wanted us to stay at the new site. From there, it is but a relatively easy one hour walk to get to the Pico Duarte. We did that the next day in the morning. Need to go early before the clouds set in. Then we spent that whole day at the Valle Lilis site, to return the next day. So it was one day to get there, one day to rest, and the next day back, about what Baiguate is proposing.

By the way, as to whether the effort was worth it? 200%. The excursion costs more than a stay at a luxury hotel, but it is a priceless tour. The Carpenter's song, "I'm On the Top of the World Looking Down on Creation..." kept ringing in my mind.

Last edited:

dc2000

Jun 1, 2008
Thanks for the tips. I will check into Camping Tours also. I called Iguana Mama and they didn't have any trips. The guide that answered the phone offered to take me for $900 US which I thought was ridiculous. $560 US seems like a fair price to me if I'm the only one going. it's the price posted on the Rancho Baiguate website.

I am flying into Santo Domingo on the 7th and planned to take a bus to Jacaroabe on the afternoon of the 8th. I will only be in the DR about a week and have to be in Punta Cana for a wedding on the 13th so unfortunately it will have to be a weekday trip.

The two days sounds doable to me - I am a fairly experienced hiker and have done some snowshoeing around 10,000 feet. But I am definitely wondering about the weather and mud - sounds like I'll have to make the decision fairly last minute.

Thanks for letting me know it's worth it!

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Now that clown couldn't swim out of a shoe box!! Great promoter, but not a winner in my book...

Do what Dolores suggests...mud is worse than snowshoeing ....

HB

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Can't steal the thread. Sent you a PM...

To the OP, be very careful of trying to go up Duarte in the rain...and rain is in the forecast for today and tomorrow....and later in the week....

HB

May 12, 2005
You mean it actually is raining after I was there and not when I was there?? Holy crap! Saints alive! Miracles never cease.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Ain't hardly stopped since you left.....must have left us your mojo....

Take care good guy.

HB