question for a local

Status
Not open for further replies.

otto

Aug 11, 2006
2006 a friend and i visited the North coast for first time. Great time, beautiful people and place, rented car and drove from airport to Bahia Blanca in RSJ-- then to Principe resort for last couple days. I just need an honest answer on what happened to us while driving. Soon after leaving the airport in rental car, shotgun checkpoint (before even getting to cabarete) the officers were somewhat uniformed and wanted to see papers on car and were just basically pacing around the vehicle, then when a tour bus on its way to the resort full of tourists came around the corner, they all of a sudden told us to go , so I gotta ask, which one of these things happened was it: A- 'The police in our country often check rental cars coming east because of the problems with Haitians" or B-Those cops were gonna hassle you guys for a little cash do move on along your way, or C- those dudes were not even cops and you guys were very lucky that tour bus came along when it did..Thanx, this is not a knock on the DR and i would go again in a heartbeat, but this did add to the excitement---a little too much LOL

otto

Aug 11, 2006
seems like they were light blue or tan button up short sleeve (not all shirts had all buttons) ie. not very official looking,,,dont recall if one may have had some sort of badge,,,blue jeans,,, and vehicle ,,sorry i dont remember,,,we came around the corner and they were waving a 12gauge in the air

Lambada

Gold
Mar 4, 2004
www.ginniebedggood.com
Either B or C but we need more info to determine. Clearly they weren't transport police AMET (olive green uniforms & most AMET are smartly attired). Policia Nacional wear grey, doesn't sound like them. Municipal police wear blue and are mainly in.........municipalities! (i.e towns). Politur (tourist police) have white shirts, dark trousers. They could have been DNCD (drug police) i.e. the jeans. Often plain clothes DNCD only have a badge as ID. But most plain clothes DNCD have side arms not 12 gauge!

From your description it sounds like guachimen (security guards) moonlighting :cheeky:. Real DNCD doing vehicle checks for drugs & arms aren't put off by a tourist bus...............

See if you can jog your memory for a bit more info.

swooperman

Oct 10, 2007
Next time this happens don't stop just wave at them with a knowing smile! I do it all the time and they never do anything.

otto

Aug 11, 2006
Wish I could remember more details, im for certain the guy that came to my window wasnt very friendly ,,,stomach exposed due to i guess missing buttons on shirt,,and positive it was a twelve gauge,,,first question was where did i get car,, and what are you doing in DR--i mean he may have been legit but their clothing looked nothing like the police in RSJ or the guy "watching over us" at the bahia blanca late at night---thanx for the replies

joel spencer

Dec 29, 2003
Nobody who has spent any time in this country ever feels better seeing a policeman of any uniform, walking to his car.

sosuaman

*** Sin Bin ***
Jul 27, 2006
i like swoopermans advice
but this has occured to me as well
they tend to have these vehicle checkpoints on the strip between cabarete and sosua - looking for unscrupulous types
people who do not have the paperwork to the car
people who dont match up to the paperwork in the car
they are looking for situations that just arent right
as long as you have your paperwork on the rental and your identifying paperwork you shall be just fine
smile and off you go

Status
Not open for further replies.