which town to choose..

Status
Not open for further replies.

gregs317

May 18, 2007
Hi, I'm interested in planning a trip to DR in early January '09. Please help me find the right town for me. I want to stay in a beach town, with a little bit of nightlife (bars, or a merengue lesson, etc.). I won't be driving so I need to be able to walk around or catch a taxi - walking distance to the beach would be great.

I'm not looking for a luxury (resort) hotel - something simple, clean, and friendly is good. Definitely want to interact with locals. Between Cabarete, Sosua, and Puerto Plata which would you recommend to me? I want to visit beaches that I can swim and snorkel in. Also if there are opportunities for day-tours to other attractions, that would be great also. Thanks, Greg

bebeto007

Mar 22, 2008
Sosua

Hi,

probably Sosua is a good mix of all your requirements. It has couple of attractve beaches, also some without any touristic approach. So you have walking distance to f.ex. Playa Laguna.

You can access both Cabarete and Puerto Plata easily by using taxi or bus.

There are several nice small hotels that also have pool. F.ex. Club Recidential is nicely located and in walking distance to all beaches, restaurants, super market, taxi etc. From hotel gates if you head towards left you are able to interact with locals and right leads you to restaurants etc.

Br. Bebeto

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Flip a coin.
they are all within 1/2 hour of each other. Public transportation is dirt cheap from one place to another, so there is no reason not to visit them all.
Sos?a is a good mid point, so to speak. Walk out to the main road, face left and go to Cabarete; face right and go to Puerto Plata.
Even sights like R?o San Juan are easily accessible via local transport.

Have fun, be gentle.

HB

gregs317

May 18, 2007
Thanks for the replies. So far, I'm interested in visiting the Fortaleza San Felipe, Brugal Rum Factory, and I read that I can arrange a day tour to Samana for whale-watching.

Can you tell me when is the baseball season, or is it year-round? In what towns do the games take place? Greg

hammerdown

Bronze
Apr 29, 2005
sosua is a lot friendlier on the pocket book for hotels and such.....although you can get some good deals in cabarete....you can do tours from each city and baseball season usually ends in the middle of january..... snorkling is better and safer in sosua...and a lot more xpats live in sosua so if you need any help there is always someone that can help you out...my opinion anyway....

sparky11867

Jan 5, 2008
samana day trip....

actually, a day trip there would be arduous. It's about a 4 hour guagua ride from Sosua. Also, the whales are no longer there. You would need to go from January to March to catch them.

I agree.....Sosua is probably your best bet. Cabarete is awesome, but the snorkeling isn't as good as in Sosua (the waters are calmer there). I rented an apartment at Perla de Sosua and it was cheap, centrally located and Hans, who runs the place, was very helpful. A studio with a kitchen, I think, was $45 night.

Good luck and have fun! Sosua is a blast as is Cabarete.

Rebecca

Kyle

Silver
Jun 2, 2006
sosua is the best bet....good luck to you in Jan '09. i wonder what the airline flights will look like then as far as pricing and number of flights to the DR...

let's hope.....

Status
Not open for further replies.