Why doesn't my mango tree have any fruit this year?

beeza

Silver
Nov 2, 2006
I have a large, well developed, healthy mango tree in my garden. Last year it bore a bountiful crop.

This year so far, I haven't seen one mango from it.

Any ideas why?

Rocky

Honorificabilitudinitatibus
Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
I have a large, well developed, healthy mango tree in my garden. Last year it bore a bountiful crop.

Any ideas why?
I believe (please note the word "believe", as I am not stating it as fact) that Mango trees are very much like Plum trees, that have "off years" with little or no fruit.

J

John Evans

it depends on the variety- if it it one not suitable to the climate it will become a bi-annual fruit bearing trees

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Where are you located?
Mango season starts along the Haitian border and slowly progresses eastward, reaching Santiago in May-June and July...further east it may arrive in August.

However, strong winds and rain, hail, a lack of bees to pollinate could all cause a downturn in the crop.

We seem to have a fair amount this year and a neighbor's tree is laden with fruit!

HB

POP Bad Boy

Bronze
Jun 27, 2004
We have 2 mango trees........

and this year we have had more fruit than any year.............It is unbelievable........Started in early May (Puerto Plata) ........you can't even stand under it without getting hit by a dropping mango!!!!

Theforceinme

Oct 19, 2007
www.facebook.com

Any ideas why?

The mango trees in Santo Domingo are starting to bear fruit now (started a month ago with the flowers).

Does yours show flowers at least?

Rocky

Honorificabilitudinitatibus
Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
Y'all have to bear in mind that there are many different types of mango/mango trees, and they are on different cycles.
They don't all bear ripe fruit at the same time of the year.
If you had a couple of each type, you could have tree ripened mangos, all year round.

Drake

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
Mango production

Mango trees are are susceptible to losing their fruit if they experience a heavy rainfall when in its flowering stage. The heavy rains can knock off the flowers and can substantially reduce production. This is most likely the reason. This is one of the reasons Mango trees are better suited to drier climates like Bani for example.