Dominican Food

RGVgal

Bronze
May 26, 2008
Hi All,

I'm embarrassed to say that although I'm Dominican, I do not know how to cook Dominican food. I promised a couple of friends (who have never eaten Dominican food) that I will make a Dominican meal for them.

What dishes do you recommend I make?

Once I figure out what to cook, I will look up recipes on the internet or call my mom for instructions on how to make the dishes.

Thanks in advance for your suggestions.

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
Depends what you like, what your friends like, and what's available where you are.

Beans/guandules are very easy to make, so are tostones and pescado al coco, while sancocho is more involved. When cooking for friends who have never tasted Dominican food, I usually go for rice, black beans, camarones al coco and tostones. It always works a treat.

RGVgal

Bronze
May 26, 2008
Shrimp sounds good. I would have to make another protein as the hubby doesn't eat seafood.

Do you have the recipe for the coco shrimp?

RGVgal

Bronze
May 26, 2008
Thanks. I will have to use canned coconut milk. I don't have access to the fresh kind.

Would like to also make platanos maduros, but I've only seen platanos verde ($1.50 each..way too much for a platano if you ask me) at the supermarket. How many days in advance should I buy for them to rippen?

montreal

Bronze
Apr 17, 2006
Thanks. I will have to use canned coconut milk. I don't have access to the fresh kind.

Would like to also make platanos maduros, but I've only seen platanos verde ($1.50 each..way too much for a platano if you ask me) at the supermarket. How many days in advance should I buy for them to rippen?

3 days is good.

1.50 each!!! I hope they are giant ;) Usually they are sold by the pound like bananas. Where are you living?

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
Depends how green they are, but probably 3 or 4 days?

Canned coconut milk is fine - as long as it's unsweetened!

M.A.R.

Silver
Feb 18, 2006
wow $1.50 each for a platano? !!!!! to ripen it, u probably have to put in a paper bag for a few days or a week!

I would do white rice, fresh beans, pink or black and stew chicken.

What helps it give it that Dominican flavor would be the sofrito, you can do the day before, in a blender a bunch of cilantro one green bell pepper, one medium onion (like yellow or white, but most Dominicans use red, 3 or 4 cloves of garlic, oregano, salt, pepper......blend and keep in refrigerator, this you can use to season beans and chicken.

Skippy1

Feb 21, 2008
Easy, Pica Pollo (delivery) from Victorinas (NYC might be a bit far for the average Motoconcho though.....hehe)
The most authentic Dominican fast food available....Chino Chowfan con tostones and a shake, lol

Skippy1

RGVgal

Bronze
May 26, 2008
Once that Motoconcho gets to NYC, he'll have to take a 5hr flight..He'll probably eat the pica pollo on the flight now that airlines stop serving peanuts.

I live in TX. Platanos are not really popular around here so they are expensive.

Bronxboy

Jul 11, 2007
wow $1.50 each for a platano? !!!!! to ripen it, u probably have to put in a paper bag for a few days or a week!

I would do white rice, fresh beans, pink or black and stew chicken.

What helps it give it that Dominican flavor would be the sofrito, you can do the day before, in a blender a bunch of cilantro one green bell pepper, one medium onion (like yellow or white, but most Dominicans use red, 3 or 4 cloves of garlic, oregano, salt, pepper......blend and keep in refrigerator, this you can use to season beans and chicken.

Spoken like a true Dominicana!!!!, lol;):bunny:

DavidZ

Silver
Aug 29, 2005
www.vipcigartours.com
i vote for the bandera...as has been mentioned above.... beans, rice and pollo guisado. served with some super-frio cervezas (wet the bottles and stick them in the freezer a few minutes before serving).

Bronxboy

Jul 11, 2007
i vote for the bandera...as has been mentioned above.... beans, rice and pollo guisado. served with some super-frio cervezas (wet the bottles and stick them in the freezer a few minutes before serving).

Heaven!!!!

RGVgal

Bronze
May 26, 2008
I would also love to learn how to make a Sancocho but it looks too complicated.

holita

Jun 6, 2006
Sancocho is really easy...I have a great recipe if you want it just PM me. It is one of my favorite things to make!

yomaira

Apr 28, 2008
Receta

aca te va una receta buenisima espero que te guste, a mi me encanta, tratala y veras.
arroz con guandules con coco
Ingredientes:

4 tazas de arroz
2 tazas de guandules hervidos
4 tazas de agua
2 tazas de leche de coco
5 cucharadas de aceite
4 cucharaditas de pasta de tomate
1/4 taza de aj?es verdes cortados en cubos
1 pizca de or?gano
1/2 cucharadita de ajo triturado
1/4 taza de apio picado
1 cucharilla de perejil finamente picado
1 cucharilla de cilantro finalmente picado
1 cubo de caldo de pollo
Sal
Preparaci?n:
En un caldero calienta un poco el aceite, agrega el ajo, las hierbas, las especias, el caldo de pollo, la salsa de tomate y la sal. Revuelve y agrega los guandules, deja sofreir por un rato.
Agrega el agua restante y la leche de coco y lleva a punto de ebullici?n. Agrega todos los ingredientes restantes incluyendo el arroz (reserva la mitad del aceite que dejaste). Revuelve regularmente para evitar que se queme en el fondo. Cuando toda el agua ha evaporado cubre con una tapa y deja a fuego muy bajo por 15 minutos. Destapa, revuelve, agregue el aceite y cubre otra vez. Espera otros 5 minutos. Prueba el arroz, el interior debe estar firme pero blando. En caso necesario, cubre y deja otros 5 minutos en fuego muy bajo;)

yomaira

Apr 28, 2008
Receta

here you go a recipe buenisima I hope you like it, I love, and really tratala.
rice with coconut Guandules
Ingredients:

4 cups rice
2 cups boiled Guandules
4 cups water
2 cups coconut milk
5 tablespoons oil
4 teaspoons tomato paste
1 / 4 cup chopped green pepper diced
1 pinch of oregano
1 / 2 teaspoon crushed garlic
1 / 4 cup chopped celery
1 teaspoon finely chopped parsley
1 teaspoon chopped cilantro finally
1 cube of chicken broth
Sal
Preparation:
In a heated cauldron some oil, add the garlic, herbs, spices, chicken broth, tomato sauce and salt. Stir and add Guandules, let cook for a while.
Add the remaining water and coconut milk and leads to boiling point. Add all remaining ingredients including rice (reserve half the oil left). Revuelve regularly to prevent burns in the background. When all the water has evaporated covered with a lid and leaves very low heat for 15 minutes. Uncover, stir, add the oil and cover again. Wait another 5 minutes. Try rice, the interior must be firm but soft. If necessary, cover and let another 5 minutes on very low fire;)

RGVgal

Bronze
May 26, 2008
Thanks everyone for you suggestions and recetas. I made the dinner this weekend and everyone liked the food.

I made the camarones al coco, the Pollo guisado, the rice and the beans using the sofrito. I ended up making Tostones..the platanos did not rippen enough for maduros.

I also made a Guayava cheesecake. Yummy!

Next dinner party I will try to make a sancocho.

M.A.R.

Silver
Feb 18, 2006
Thanks everyone for you suggestions and recetas. I made the dinner this weekend and everyone liked the food.

I made the camarones al coco, the Pollo guisado, the rice and the beans using the sofrito. I ended up making Tostones..the platanos did not rippen enough for maduros.

I also made a Guayava cheesecake. Yummy!

Next dinner party I will try to make a sancocho.

wow good for you!!!

tostones: just learned this!!!! after you do the first frying and squash them dip them in salty water and towel dry and then finish frying, mmmmm crispy and tasty.