trip budget?

riley_o

Nov 15, 2007
Hi,
I'm going to DR this coming august and staying there for 10 days.. just wondering how much money should i prepare for the trip? im going to sosua and would like to get the bests of what the place can offer at the same time wisely budgeting my money. like a student-wise budget.. oh either in canadian or us dollars..thanks :)

CyaBye3015

Bronze
Jan 8, 2003
You can get a room at Rocky's Bar for about $25 a night. Eat for as little as $10 bucks a day. Beers go for $2-3. Then whatever for entainment? You didn't give many details as to what your interested in doing.

Mar 2, 2008
$100 US a day is a good ballpark figure.
Obviously, it could be more or less, depending on what you're looking for, and what comfort level you're seeking.

M

misterchicago40

HI Think riley is probably looking for just above a backpacker budget,, I mean to the guy who posted a 100 a day thats a lot for a 3rd world country.. Some of us are not rich and must do it on like 300 a week,, I will come to THE DR maybe next month If I can get a cheaper ticket from chicago If not I postpone it to early nexy year,,,If you come and have dates set up from badoo hi 5 or myspace and do it like the DR locals stating at 8 to 12 dollar a night hotels like mostly found in Santiago you should be able to do right,, If you an inclusive resort guy go for the 100,, Different strokes for different folks,, MISTER CHI....

CyaBye3015

Bronze
Jan 8, 2003
HI Think riley is probably looking for just above a backpacker budget,, I mean to the guy who posted a 100 a day thats a lot for a 3rd world country.. Some of us are not rich and must do it on like 300 a week,, I will come to THE DR maybe next month If I can get a cheaper ticket from chicago If not I postpone it to early nexy year,,,If you come and have dates set up from badoo hi 5 or myspace and do it like the DR locals stating at 8 to 12 dollar a night hotels like mostly found in Santiago you should be able to do right,, If you an inclusive resort guy go for the 100,, Different strokes for different folks,, MISTER CHI....

Sounds like advice from someone who has never been there!

You ain't going to find any "8 to 12 dollar a night hotels" any place in or around Sosua!

Rocky's is about the least expensive place your going to find anywhere close to Sosua. I also mentioned Rocky's because it's safe, clean and well run, plus it's within easy walking distance to the beach, and a stones throw away from much of the nightlife.

You may be able to get by for a little less than $10 on food by buying some food at the markets, but don't eat food from the street venders. Also don't drink the tap water.

Rocky's bar has a web site, and he's also a member of this forunm.

sangria

Bronze
May 16, 2006
id hate to be one of mister chi's dates....poor girls think they won the $$$ lotto and then to find out they are staying at the roach motel....so sad :cheeky:

M

misterchicago40

YES You will in A Dorm Hostel IN Sosua There are places I think perices from 10 to 15 check Hostels & Youth Hostels Worldwide - Online Bookings Reviews of Hostels Worldwide - Hostelz.com I do know though for a Fact IN Santiago centro area bunch of cheap places from 4 to 10 a night,, I know in Santo Domingo must cheapies are like 15 to 25 a night but in Gazcue area there are a couple dorm type pension places for 10 bucks,, No I Never been in DR but like I said cheap places in shared rooms there are in DR You just must look for them,, Hey also since when Is Rockys 25 a night??? I thought it was 15 a NIGHT?????

CyaBye3015

Bronze
Jan 8, 2003
YES You will in A Dorm Hostel IN Sosua There are places I think perices from 10 to 15 check Hostels & Youth Hostels Worldwide - Online Bookings Reviews of Hostels Worldwide - Hostelz.com I do know though for a Fact IN Santiago centro area bunch of cheap places from 4 to 10 a night,, I know in Santo Domingo must cheapies are like 15 to 25 a night but in Gazcue area there are a couple dorm type pension places for 10 bucks,, No I Never been in DR but like I said cheap places in shared rooms there are in DR You just must look for them,, Hey also since when Is Rockys 25 a night??? I thought it was 15 a NIGHT?????

Have it your way Mr. Know-it-all.

BTW In case you didn't notice........He's not going to Santiago, neither is he going to Santo Domingo! he's GIONG to Sousa

I looked it up the Hostle site you mentioned one of the places listed is Casa Valeria, I've spent 6 months over the past 5 years (since it was re-opened) at Casa Valeria so I know it well. The site quotes $20 PER PERSON based on 2persons i.e $40 bucks a night. They have new owners there now and there other prices went up so that offer may no longer exist.

As for Rockys, I was in Sosua this past Jan & Feb and the price then was $22 a night. If you notice I said ABOUT $25 as I did not want to quote a price for Marco!

Looks to me as it would for better to have ones own room for 2 bux more a night as opposed to sharing a room with a complete stranger, Who may decide he needs your things more than you do! Casa Valeria is set up as a small hotel not a hostel, so it doesn't have places to lock up your things when your gone for the day.

sangria

Bronze
May 16, 2006
As for Rockys, I was in Sosua this past Jan & Feb and the price then was $22 a night. If you notice I said ABOUT $25 as I did not want to quote a price for Marco!

Rocky's website shows $25.00 per night...maybe he will confirm for sure.

Anyway I think Mister Chi is blinded by the Mitsy the "model's" bosom and may see the light if he is able to climb out from under either of them when he finally gets to meet her...hee hee

As for sosua on a budget...I have done it many times in Cabarete by cooking some of my own meals..might be worth checking out some places with cooking facilities..

sangria

rio2003

Bronze
Aug 16, 2006
Help - I cant breathe

Anyway I think Mister Chi is blinded by the Mitsy the "model's" bosom and may see the light if he is able to climb out from under either of them when he finally gets to meet her...hee hee........

sangria

LOL - I wonder if anyone can lend him some snorkelling gear for when the BIG meet takes place! ;)

Rio - losing her respectability ....... again

ElvisNYC

Jan 27, 2006
You can get a room at Rocky's Bar for about $25 a night. Eat for as little as $10 bucks a day. Beers go for $2-3. Then whatever for entainment? You didn't give many details as to what your interested in doing.

This poster is right, you can definately do a room for $25 a day, $10 for food and the rest is up to you ! Transportation is quite cheap if you plan to venture outside of Sosua, especially by taking guagas or carro publico.

I would budget for $50-60 a day- and that's high end for a backpacker budget. DR is not cheap !

M

misterchicago40

I Disagree Man not if you stay in the interior cause Hotels in Santiago cheap ones in centro area can go for 4 to 10 a night,, If you just stick to the resorts Yes it will cost you a minimum of 50 to 60 But even if you try those pension places Guesthouses where you share backpacker style I think 25 a Day You can make it on for sure without partying on the non party days...

CyaBye3015

Bronze
Jan 8, 2003
I Disagree Man not if you stay in the interior cause Hotels in Santiago cheap ones in centro area can go for 4 to 10 a night,, If you just stick to the resorts Yes it will cost you a minimum of 50 to 60 But even if you try those pension places Guesthouses where you share backpacker style I think 25 a Day You can make it on for sure without partying on the non party days...

What part of (the original poster wants to stay in SOSUA) don't you understand?

M

misterchicago40

I Here You Guy I am just trying to prove a point if you do it like the locals on 250 to 300 a week you can go a good two months in DR,, Sorry if I overposted here just Was trying to talk about budget issues,, Yes Sosua and the coasts tend to be the most expensive,, THE interior can be pretty cheap or just cheap...

riley_o

Nov 15, 2007
so $500 would be more than enough right? yes, im planning to be as cheap as i possibly can.
any places you would recommend in sosua and the surrounding area that i should check out?

Rocky

Honorificabilitudinitatibus
Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
so $500 would be more than enough right? yes, im planning to be as cheap as i possibly can.
any places you would recommend in sosua and the surrounding area that i should check out?
It's not more than enough.
It's at the low end of adequate.
Double it, and you could say that it's more than enough.

Malibook

Bronze
Jan 23, 2002
www.yourtraveltickets.com
To me, a holiday is a time to splurge and have a great time, not a time to simply survive as cheap as possible.

I understand that some people do not have much money and many have credit card debt that they can't pay off so perhaps they shouldn't even go, but if you are going to go, you might as well do more than just simply exist as cheap as possible.

I wouldn't go on a holiday if I couldn't afford to enjoy myself just like I wouldn't go to a bar or restaurant if I couldn't afford to tip.

DRob

Gold
Aug 15, 2007
It's not more than enough.
It's at the low end of adequate.
Double it, and you could say that it's more than enough.

Riley,

First, welcome to DR1. You should take the above as gospel, from the man who knows.

As an alternative, you could shave a few days off your trip. That would get your budget to a level where you could genuinely enjoy your vacation.

However, nothing is worse than being broke on vacation, especially in Sosua.

Good luck,

DRob:glasses:

Kyle

Silver
Jun 2, 2006
500 bucks for 10 days won't even work in Thailand no less the DR. entertainment alone may cost 500 bucks in 10 days.
stay home until you can afford 1000 like someone said....

corsair74

Bronze
Jul 3, 2006
Yeah

500 bucks for 10 days won't even work in Thailand no less the DR. entertainment alone may cost 500 bucks in 10 days.
stay home until you can afford 1000 like someone said....

Truth be told, $50 a day may not even be enough for entertainment. Even if you don't plan on drinking or visiting any bars. And what kind of vacation is that? I mean, really.

I agree with Rob on this one. If that is your budget, you need to shorten your vacation significantly.

And to the poster who plans on finding lodging for $4 a night in Santiago. In the unlikely event that you find a room for that price, it is true that you'll be sharing your room. But your roommates will be of the six-legged, or furry and whiskered variety.

You should really take the advice of individuals who either live in Santiago, or visit there often instead of depending upon some obscure website.

The old saying "you get what you pay for", holds a lot of weight in Santiago.

Vince.