Street Foods

LadyEph87

May 3, 2008
Hi,

I'll be coming to the DR soon and I was wondering if you guys could fill me in on Dominican street food. Besides Chimichurri, barbecued/roasted pork, and your typical fritura, what are some other common street foods? Any favorite vendors in the SD area? Any ones to watch out for completely?

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
Make sure you bring a lot of toilet paper. You may need it if you go to the wrong vendor.

Funnyyale26

Bronze
Dec 15, 2006
Hi,

I'll be coming to the DR soon and I was wondering if you guys could fill me in on Dominican street food. Besides Chimichurri, barbecued/roasted pork, and your typical fritura, what are some other common street foods? Any favorite vendors in the SD area? Any ones to watch out for completely?

None, Dominican Rep. needs mexican/ turkish/americans immigrants to introduce Kebobs, Gyros, real mexican street food, good hotdogs, etc...

AZB

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
You will not get sick, I have been eating street food here for ages and not once I have gotten sick. if you eat the wrong food anywhere and in any country, of course you will get sick but DR is no cancun. generally you are safe here.
AZB

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
I do not know whether to try and post here or not.
Let's say that fried yuca empanadas, kipes (kibbe in Arabic, I think?) are common enough, along with fried meat, tostones, fried batata, sausage and such. Butifarra and other "delicacies" are available too.
Also popular are pizza stands, hotdog and hamburger stands, and riki-taki sales off the back of tricycles!!

Oh you have a lot to see and film!!

HB

M.A.R.

Silver
Feb 18, 2006
AZB should post on here where we can find the good Santiago vendors.

On the Avenida Valerio I saw some empanada vendors but that might be too ghetto for some. yuca empanadas, kipes, mmmm

Calle del Sol also has vendors not sure though which intersection.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Calle Mella esquina Del Sol!!!

Been there, done that.

Wait 'til she tries Aida's Delicias Kipes and Empanadas....

She is gonna leave here 20 lbs heavier if not really careful...:D

HB

montreal

Bronze
Apr 17, 2006
I usually get empanadas at the vendors outside the colmado on the corner of Santiago and Delgado in Gazcue. They are pretty big (30 pesos) They change the filling choices everyday. You can wash it down with a morir sonando from the haitian vendor beside him.

I've also never been sick. My kids eat street food and have never regretted it on the way out ; )

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
When we have Judo events there are always three Haitian tricycle guys with our "breakfasts"= 'ham' and 'cheese' sandwich with green tomato, onion and shredded cabbage + a fried egg )the kind where the edges are all brown and curly) with catchup and mayo.....all for 25 pesos!! A glass of fresh orange juice is 10 pesos...Never sick yet!! And all of our athletes eat there almost on a daily basis...
Or you can get a "ba?o" of fruit salad for about 25 pesos...pineapple, lechosa, banana, melon drenched in honey....

Eating in this country is a delight....

HB

Jan

Bronze
Jan 3, 2002
Santo Domingo Este
www.colonialzone-dr.com
There is a Colmado in Colonial Zone that cooks barbecue in front on the street in a real old fashioned smoker. From noon to midnight everyday you can get chicken (by the piece or whole) and beef fresh and hot. They serve this with yucca or banana. The price starts at about $100 pesos. The Colmado owners name is (go figure) Moreno. It's on Calle Pi?a and Canela #216 A few blocks from Parque Independencia and the Malecon.
barbeque-colmado1.jpg