Travel from Casa de Campo to Rancho Baiguate?

wolliworld

Jun 7, 2008
Hi,

We're staying somewhere in Casa de Campo and were really wanting to go white water rafting at Rancho Baiguate. I think the white water rafting trips start at 9am. Through reading stuff online, it looks like the Caribe Tour buses are the way to go. Unfortunately, their website is in Spanish which I can't read. Can anyone tell me if going from Casa de Campo through Santo Domingo to Rancho Baiguate in Jarabacoa and getting there by 9am is even possible? Do the buses run 24/7? Does anyone have any other suggestions? Any help is appreciated!

Thanks!
Holli

Dolores1

DR1
May 3, 2000
www.
There is no way. You would have to take taxi from Casa de Campo to La Romana town to catch the Sichoem express bus. Figure about half an hour there, and note that the express buses leave on the hour, and the commuter on the half hour. Plus the bus takes about two hours to get to Santo Domingo. Then you would have to take a taxi to the Caribe Tours stop, another half an hour. Plus then you would have to coincide with the Caribe Tours buses that leave for Jarabacoa (7:30am, 10am, 1:30pm and 4:30pm). Then from Jarabacoa bus stop you would have to take a taxi to Rancho Baiguate. Figure about seven hours travel time from Casa de Campo to Rancho Baiguate. If you were to take a taxi, it would be about four hours, but very expensive. Suggest you overnight at Rancho Baiguate itself, so you are refreshed for the experience in the morning.

wolliworld

Jun 7, 2008
Oh well. That was the one thing I was really hoping to do while I was there. Thanks for all the helpful information! Is there anything "adventurous" to do on the South Coast? It looks like all the really fun stuff is on the North Coast?

Thanks again!
Holli

Dolores1

DR1
May 3, 2000
www.
There are is the Cueva Fun Fun excursion -- Contact Carmen Ligia Barcelo at clbarcelo@cicom.com.do for arrangements.

"Fun Fun Cave is located in Hato Mayor, about an hour's drive from Casa de Campo. This is the largest cave in the Caribbean, running seven kilometers underground. Experience the darkness down under, the giant corridors, the cave art, and the magic whisper of the subterranean rivers. This thrilling excursion begins with a ride on horseback, then a walk through "the jungle" and the cave, then ends with lunch. A day of caving, repelling, horse riding and lots of adrenaline. 12 year age minimum for the Rancho Capote excursion."

For more info on what to do in the area, see La Romana & Bayahibe - Dominican Republic (DR1)

Each area of the DR has its own exciting things to do and the southeast has plenty.

PICHARDO

One Dominican at a time, please!
May 15, 2003
Santiago de Los 30 Caballeros
Hi,

We're staying somewhere in Casa de Campo and were really wanting to go white water rafting at Rancho Baiguate. I think the white water rafting trips start at 9am. Through reading stuff online, it looks like the Caribe Tour buses are the way to go. Unfortunately, their website is in Spanish which I can't read. Can anyone tell me if going from Casa de Campo through Santo Domingo to Rancho Baiguate in Jarabacoa and getting there by 9am is even possible? Do the buses run 24/7? Does anyone have any other suggestions? Any help is appreciated!

Thanks!
Holli

Use the air taxi service at La Romana airport. Is faster and will save your body from the grueling trip there... The air taxi can take you directly to Santiago's STI so that all you need is to drive to Jarabacoa.

Last time, we set off with our friend from Jarabacoa "Romero" from La Romana airport to a landing helo pad in Jarabacoa itself, maybe the air taxi can be of service to some location to land in Jarabacoa too.

Dolores1

DR1
May 3, 2000
www.
Do the excursions available in the southeast -- Saona island, Cueva Fun Fun, Cueva Las Maravillas, Catalina island, Bayahibe and then return on another trip. There is lots to see/do in the southeast that you would be missing.

Plan another trip to the DR, this time with a first stopover in Jarabacoa for river rafting, and then on to Puerto Plata (Damajagua Falls).

Yes, going by helicopter or plane and then by taxi to Jarabacoa you could probably make it in time, but it would be rush rush and very expensive. With what you spend you pay for a good part of a return trip!

PICHARDO

One Dominican at a time, please!
May 15, 2003
Santiago de Los 30 Caballeros
Do the excursions available in the southeast -- Saona island, Cueva Fun Fun, Cueva Las Maravillas, Catalina island, Bayahibe and then return on another trip. There is lots to see/do in the southeast that you would be missing.

Plan another trip to the DR, this time with a first stopover in Jarabacoa for river rafting, and then on to Puerto Plata (Damajagua Falls).

Yes, going by helicopter or plane and then by taxi to Jarabacoa you could probably make it in time, but it would be rush rush and very expensive. With what you spend you pay for a good part of a return trip!

I'm sure that if they can afford Casa de Campo, some few bucks extra for the air ride won't be much of pain in the pocket...

We all shared the ride and bill, which wasn't as much as we usually pay for the same distance/trip in Toronto...

wolliworld

Jun 7, 2008
Thanks for all the info guys! Just FYI...we're eight young singles who "won" this trip at a charity auction. We got a REALLY good price for it, so we definitely aren't wealthy and are looking for budget travel. We won't really fit in with the polo/tennis crowd. LOL I'm going to google all these places you've mentioned. One friend had found out about Air Santo Domingo, but I don't think they're in business anymore.

Thanks again!
Holli