Where To Find Good "Paella" In PP?

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Traveler

Jun 7, 2008
I have heard so much about this wonderful dish but have sadly never had the chance to taste it. From what I gather there are different ways/types of paella with some including seafood(which is my absolute favorite). I was wondering if there were any good places in Puerto Plata that served paella. Thanks

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
You will only get classic paellas in an actual Spanish restaurant - don't know if there are any in Puerto Plata. There are several in the capital, FWIW.

Dominicans have their own versions of paella, usually called 'locrio' or 'arroz con camarones/pollo/mariscos/' etc. 'Asopao' is the soupier version of rice with shrimp, chicken, fish (pica pica!) etc. Delicious, but not really paella in the Spanish sense.

bachata

Aprendiz de todo profesional de nada
Aug 18, 2007
On my way back to Santiago I usually stop in "Maimon" for a nice paella, just ask for Johan restaurant they have the best pescado Frito too. And prices are the best in POP

JJ.

Tor

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
Rest El Batey in Sosua serves a fantastic Paella. I think you have to order a day before though.

J D Sauser

Silver
Nov 20, 2004
www.hispanosuizainvest.com
Fyi

Paella is a Valencian (ES) specialty. Actually it was, and in certain regions still is poor people's food. The ingredients, or "toppings" besides rice and saffron (when available and today mostly replaced with yellow food coloring) are mostly left overs. Inlands this may include some vegetables, chicken, pork or even rabbit meat. Along the coast line it can include some fish and/or sea food. Restaurants will mostly offer sea food, meat or mixed paellas, and even in Spain and the Valencian region it has become very difficult to find a good "real" paella without any "funny" ingredients and food coloring agents. Think of it like Italian pizza... same problem.

I would not know of a place where you would get a decent (non-Micky Mouse) paella locally here in POP.
We sometimes do it on out trips out to the river with my Dominican "family" and they have come to love it since it has all the ingredients they are used to in their cuisine.
It's good to make it outdoors on a fire, since it's a very large diameter pan, one needs a large even heat source which can be achieved on a fireplace. Old school Spaniards will dig holes into the beach's sand and place the red hot charcoal into it and the pan on top of the hole... looks like they are cooking on top of the beach!

There are gas cookers available with several tubular rings with little holes to make it a multi stage burner. They are quite common in Spain now, and I have seen some available around here too. But I have not seen many places which would sell paella pans.

... J-D.

The Virginian

Bronze
Mar 16, 2007
Cariatides 809.320.1410 in Puerto Plata serves 2 types of paella. One with just chicken and one with seafood. Both were very good when we ate there 4 or 5 months ago.

dms3611

Bronze
Jan 14, 2002
HB, what do you think of the paella at the Centro Espanol...

...in STI. I find it terrific.

Oct 29, 2006
Best Paella at La Casa del Pescador in Cabarete

I've been several times and tried the Paella twice.

Being from Spain and living in New York, I can tell you that this nice restaurant has the best paella I have ever had outside Spain.

I was there last on May 19 (last month) with a group of 15 people (half of them from Spain) and everybody loved it.

wtlaw

Dec 21, 2006
Rafael, thanks for sharing your experience in Cabarete. I'll give it a try soon.

jrzyguy

Bronze
May 5, 2004
i've never seen paella in in DR...and i have been in the capital many many times.

but indeed...i've had something similar...mixed seafood (shrimp, calamari, langostine, etc in a light sauce with rice. It may not be an actual paella (as other posters noted...this is a classic Spanish dish..not Dominican) but it is just as good.

ok...now you've got me hungry!

The Traveler

Jun 7, 2008
I was aware of this being a classic dish from Spain. Thanks for all of the suggestions and comments I really appreciate it.

slas7713

Aug 9, 2004
Spaniards love it

I may be partial since I'm part of the Los Gringos team, but we have Spaniards who come here regularly for Patrick's Paella and say it's the best they've ever had and continue to return for it.

Steve

The Traveler

Jun 7, 2008
Checked out the Los Gringos website and that "Seafood Paella" picture has my mouth watering. Silly question but does one need to be a guest of the resort to eat there? Also the site does not mention prices, I was wondering slas7713- if you could tell me the price range for those delicious dishes.

slas7713

Aug 9, 2004
The Paella is 580 pesos per person for a minimum of four people. It's a huge serving and nobody leave here hungry, ever.

Steve

Status
Not open for further replies.