Forget Costa Rica, keep Spain

Jan 3, 2003
Well after personally investigating Costa Rica, I'll keep my country, the DR. I'm not bashing it but I guess if you're a TICO/TICA then it definitely means something. The people are nice but I didn't find it to be particularly fascinating. It does have a lush green forest and the sites reminiscent of Jurassic Park are eye-opening BUT once you've done the "touristy" stuff, it's wonder dims with each passing day. I'll keep it on my list for future visits but not a place to relocate to by any stretch of the word.

Now, Spain is something else. Have been going there since I was a child so I am partial to it. Galicia is unbelievable and El Catedral de Santiago is without comparison. Toledo, Segovia, San Lorenzo del Escorial is unbelievable- I want it, LOL! I have put it to my mind to do El Camino de Santiago. I love the French Route, can't wait to cross the Pyrennes. Madrid is congested, like any major metropolitan city. Oh, love Velazquez's Las Meninas and Picasso's cubist rendition of it but am partial to the original obviously. I love El Greco's spirituality. It's wonderful to return to La Madre Patria and see where we all came from.

I may relocate there. It certainly has the elements I am looking for. Of course DR is my base and birthplace so don 't get lethal on me. I am not Ramfis Trujillo and his disdain for the DR and DR folk BUT Spain is unbelievable. This last trip I did was significant. King Phillip the II is my favorite King- a workaholic as myself and preferred to do it all himself. No need for clumsy self aggrandizing and nosy Validos.

I could go on BUT would like to hear other DR folks who have been to Spain to state their ideas, reflections, etc.

I went to Cuatro Caminos and found the Dominican neighborhood. I ate a simple Dominican meal, quite tasty obviously. I love Galician food above all, hearty portions and the softest, juiciest most tender meat you can eat. In the DR we do not have that quality of beef no matter how expensive you go. Sometimes, you can go to a high end steakhouse in the DR and you'll be served cardboad meat that mangy dogs will find offensive.

I love the DR BUT just stating the facts. So go Spain and we can shelve Costa Rica.

AZB

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
I am with you O&C. I went to costa many years ago and was truely disappointed to see their beaches. Nothing to brag about. Costa rica is OK, not somewhere I would visit over and over again.
Now I also have been to spain (Andalucia). Oh boy, if I have to move to europe, spain will be on top of my list. I would love to live in malaga o marbella.

2w57qzs.jpg

ALHAMBRA, SPAIN

2rh6a84.jpg

Alhambra Palace

Jan 3, 2003
I went to Granada, Andalucia. I could not get into the Alhambra but I saw the Alhambra Gardens. The Arabic baths in partial ruins are a testament to their cleanliness, no? The Catholic Monarchs OTOH were not known for bathing regularly. I was told by a Professor that since they saw the Muslims bathing so often, that could not be a a godly thing to do. How ridiculous!

The Alhambra Gardens are beautiful. One could stay there the whole day in those cool surroundings and lush well manicured gardens. I'm partial to Galicia though. Were you ever up that way?

Montserrat is unforgettable. I forgot to mention that one.

AZB, it's like when I went to Cayman Islands. I loved the turtles and the stingrays BUT for the love of God, why would anyone want to live in that flatland. Prior to going there I had heard from friends how great it is BUT I failed to see this. The Caribbean, Central and South America is littered with such tourist traps. They're great as one hit wonders but repeats are dubious.

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
Marbella is flat out one of the best places in Europe. Right on the coastline. Absolutely beautiful and quaint.

Bronxboy

Jul 11, 2007
Why single out CR vs Spain in your thread title?

There are other countries like Colombia for example to compare.

Just curious:cheeky:

Aug 19, 2004
IMO - Spain is one of the most racist countries in Europe - though I am not a Dominican from what I have seen and heard of the treatment of Dominicans in this country I fail to understand why you recommend it.

The good thing is that Franco died and the country has been subsidised by the EU every since - which for almost the first time in its history has allowed a democracy to be established.

As for Philip II of Spain - I would have thought his greatest contribution to Latin America is misery.

As for Costa Rica - I totally agree with your comments!

Funnyyale26

Bronze
Dec 15, 2006
IMO - Spain is one of the most racist countries in Europe - though I am not a Dominican from what I have seen and heard of the treatment of Dominicans in this country I fail to understand why you recommend it.

The good thing is that Franco died and the country has been subsidised by the EU every since - which for almost the first time in its history has allowed a democracy to be established.

As for Philip II of Spain - I would have thought his greatest contribution to Latin America is misery.

Not to defend Spain, but Spain has given many opportunities to Dominicans, and MANY dominicans have committed crimes in their country...Unfortunately, the reputation of dominicans in europe is tarnished because "por uno, pagan todos. It doesn't help that many dominican women worked and are working as prostitutes and dominican men have been charged with drug-related crimes.

Jan 3, 2003

Where did you get your info on racism in Spain? Spain is a country run by law and order. You can't have Morrocans and Africans just walking into Spain and expecting that Spain will give them hugs and kisses.

King Phillip 2. IMO, was the greatest of the Hapsburgs. He ruled an Empire upon which the sun never set plus a very religious man.

Franco was a disaster for Spain, I agree.

Ricardo900

Silver
Jul 12, 2004
It's not just Morrocans and Africans, it's also Dominicans and other Latin Americans. Sad but true Xenophobia in Spain is not a pretty sight, just like Xenophobia increasing in the US. Here's a quick video of a young girl from Ecuador being groped, cursed and even kicked in the face. YouTube - Racism in Metro of Barcelona (Spain)

It's probably not an everyday occurence but it does happen, Spain is not giving hugs and kisses to Dominicans either.

Jan 3, 2003
It's not just Morrocans and Africans, it's also Dominicans and other Latin Americans. Sad but true Xenophobia in Spain is not a pretty sight, just like Xenophobia increasing in the US. Here's a quick video of a young girl from Ecuador being groped, cursed and even kicked in the face. YouTube - Racism in Metro of Barcelona (Spain)

It's probably not an everyday occurence but it does happen, Spain is not giving hugs and kisses to Dominicans either.

That's a shame. That bully preying on that little girl. In any country immigrants have it hard. Being indigenous, mulatto it's hard in a country that is white like Spain. The good thing is that most Spaniards are tolerant and they have a NEED for immigrants to fund their social welfare programs.

J

John Evans

most property within 50 miles of the coast are expensive in Spain - in certain places they used to be able to take the land off you if they wanted to build home for spanish people or roads (I think they may have tightened up on this now)

Ricardo900

Silver
Jul 12, 2004
That's a shame. That bully preying on that little girl. In any country immigrants have it hard. Being indigenous, mulatto it's hard in a country that is white like Spain. The good thing is that most Spaniards are tolerant and they have a NEED for immigrants to fund their social welfare programs.

I agree most Spaniards are tolerant and not like the idiot who picked on that poor girl minding her own business. It's good that you enjoyed your trip, didn't mean to hijak the thread.

Cheers,

Berzin

Banned
Nov 17, 2004
Don't bash Costa Rica...

...the beaches aren't as nice as in the DR and San Jose(at least the section I stayed in) was typical of your run-down Central/South American capital city, but their emphasis on eco-tourism is really strong.

It is beautiful once you leave the capital. And yes, its' not for everyone but if you are an active outdoors-type, it is an amazing place. Hiking, cycling(both on and off-road), photographing wildlife in the rainforests and all other types of outdoor activities are at your fingertips in Costa Rica.

So if you are not athletic, or prefer to go to a place where the chicas are falling all over you simply because you're a tourist then yes, Costa Rica is not for you.

You will walk around and the women(known as "ticas") will ignore you just like they do in your own country of origin.

And The average Costa Rican is very literate as their national education system is also very strong-the strongest in Central America.

2eo8vhh.jpg

mjpz5y.jpg

ix72w8.jpg

2v1owhd.jpg

Last edited:
Jan 3, 2003
That's nice Berzin but the DR has the same eco-tourism. I didn't really find the eco-tourism to be that much better than the DR. At least in the DR, you don't have to worry about scorpions biting you in the ass and sending you to an early grave or the many other nasty and lethal critters roaming around.

Berzin

Banned
Nov 17, 2004
That's nice Berzin but the DR has the same eco-tourism. I didn't really find the eco-tourism to be that much better than the DR. At least in the DR, you don't have to worry about scorpions biting you in the ass and sending you to an early grave or the many other nasty and lethal critters roaming around.

Where in the DR can you take a canopy tour of the rainforest in the DR?

Where in the DR can you enjoy road cycling in a group setting in beautiful mountain countryside in relative safety?

Where is there anything, ANYTHING in the DR comparable to the Hot Springs Resort and Hotel?

Nothing you have said is true. There is no way you can compare the eco-tourism of these countries.

Costa Rica wins hands-down.

AZB

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
Where in the DR can you take a canopy tour of the rainforest in the DR?

Where in the DR can you enjoy road cycling in a group setting in beautiful mountain countryside in relative safety?

Where is there anything, ANYTHING in the DR comparable to the Hot Springs Resort and Hotel?

Nothing you have said is true. There is no way you can compare the eco-tourism of these countries.

Costa Rica wins hands-down.
Ok, costa may have some advantages when it comes to eco tourism, but would you prefer costa rica over DR to live? I have been to costa rica for 3 weeks and I would not life to return there if I had a choice between colombia, DR, spain and costa rica. Its was a nice trip and I even enjoyed to jungle trip but to me, the beaches are ugly, the san jose city is congested, becomes a whore house at night and costa rica is more expensive then DR. The people are more educated and the country is a bit more organized. I just don't see myself living there after I have lived in DR for so many years.
We do have cycling clubs in DR and they take regular weekend rides all over the country. You will be surprised to see how organized they are. Then we have a group of dirt bikers who armor themselves to the nails and then go dirt biking in the real hills. These boys are no joke. We even have a harley davidson club in santiago. Look at some of my pictures of cibao campos and compare them to costa rica's campos. Not very different.
AZB

Berzin

Banned
Nov 17, 2004
Aftab-I never said Costa Rica was the best place to go live. But their tourist economy is geared, and geared in a very well-organized manner, to eco-tourism which the DR cannot even touch.

I am in no way putting down the DR, but this happens to be true. Because when I was there I was out every day on different excursions and got to see and do many different things that the DR is just not set up to do.

To do so would take a concerted effort on behalf of the government and businesspeople to take such a project seriously on a national level.

As for the cycling, I meant road cycling like in the Tour De France.

And as for which country I would prefer to live in, I think I'm too westernized to want to live anywhere else but in the US, and that's not a bad thing-its' just a preference.