Hiring Gardeners

Aug 21, 2007
I am looking to the experienced DR1 residents to give me some guidance. I live on the North coast and am seriously considering firing my full time gardener. After weighing the question for several months "would I be better off with him or without him?," I have decided that it is worth the liquidation costs to be finished with him.

Now, I am searching for a gardener who is able to read and write basic Spanish and who knows and has experience in gardening. I am willing to pay for literacy and experience, but I will only pay the appropriate price.

My question is, what do DR1 members pay for a full time gardener who is literate? If most gardeners are paid a daily rate, I would be interested in knowing what that would be.

The gardener I hire would be required to do some basic home repairs and maintenance, clean the pool, identify and trouble shoot household repairs, and have trustable referrals for repairs beyond his ability. If I return to my home country for a couple of weeks, he needs to maintain the same level of work ethic and trust.

So- what is the going rate for such an individual? I have been told that my current gardener is grossly overpaid. Before I let him go, I just need to confirm that and know that I am able to afford someone with the qualifications that I expect.

Thanks!

Lindsey

J

John Evans

a friend of mine was paying rd$200 per day but he didnt do anything (not a lot of help lol he was cheap but did no work)....I think you might struggle with the trouble shooting bit

Aug 21, 2007
John Evans, where was your friend located that he paid 200 per day?

I have more than 2 lots with gardens, fruit trees, and a vegetable garden. I will pay the price for a good person, but I need to know what that price may be. I live here alone for now and I need someone who can also help with the basic home maintenance.

Thanks again-
Lindsey

Matilda

RIP Lindsay
Sep 13, 2006
I pay mine 5000 RD$ a month. He is haitian and speaks no spanish. He lives in - in the casita, and does gardening, pool maintenance and basic household repairs but badly!! Uses a machete for everything and a knife for a screwdriver. He gets his eveining meal with us, and doubles as a bodyguard (well sort of as he is 60) onthe nghts my husband is away. He is also a mean domino player. He has flexible hours. 5-6.30 in the morning, then 8-11, then 4-6. The rest of the time he does what he likes, which tends to be sitting in my colmado and helping out a bit there!

He is a treasure but I had to go through a lot of bad ones till I found him!

Matilda

Rocky

Honorificabilitudinitatibus
Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
John Evans, where was your friend located that he paid 200 per day?

I have more than 2 lots with gardens, fruit trees, and a vegetable garden. I will pay the price for a good person, but I need to know what that price may be. I live here alone for now and I need someone who can also help with the basic home maintenance.

Thanks again-
Lindsey
I suspect that 200/day is too little for someone who is genuinely good.
I have an idea of what/who you need and what the job entails.
I would say that 8k to 10K per month would be more in line with the job, assuming (and that's a big assumption) that you can find one who is capable, honest, reliable, literate and has a bit of experience and savvy.

Rocky

Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
He is a treasure but I had to go through a lot of bad ones till I found him!

Matilda
Like me and maids.
4 years of bad ones, 'till I hit the jackpot and kept the cycle going by replacing them (if they had to quit) with their friends or relatives who were like minded. (honest)

J

John Evans

well i did say they didnt do any work lol---- so not a lot of good having a cheap one

Aug 21, 2007
I suspect that 200/day is too little for someone who is genuinely good.
I have an idea of what/who you need and what the job entails.
I would say that 8k to 10K per month would be more in line with the job, assuming (and that's a big assumption) that you can find one who is capable, honest, reliable, literate and has a bit of experience and savvy.

The 8k-10k a month is do-able. Should that include meals and transportation, or should I pay that additional?

THEN- how and where do I find such a person???

Lindsey

Rocky

Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
The 8k-10k a month is do-able. Should that include meals and transportation, or should I pay that additional?

THEN- how and where do I find such a person???

Lindsey
I suspect you have to feed him/her at lunchtime.
Where to find such a person, is indeed the toughest part.
I don't know where to start.
Maybe I can put it out on the grapevine and see what comes back to me.
That's usually how I do it here.
I simply advise Milka of a need, and she passes the word around to the right people.
She knows that the prospect has to be 100% honest.
Would you like me to give it a shot?

Aug 21, 2007
I suspect you have to feed him/her at lunchtime.
Where to find such a person, is indeed the toughest part.
I don't know where to start.
Maybe I can put it out on the grapevine and see what comes back to me.
That's usually how I do it here.
I simply advise Milka of a need, and she passes the word around to the right people.
She knows that the prospect has to be 100% honest.
Would you like me to give it a shot?

Please do drop a word in the grapevine, Rocky - and any other North Coast DR1 ers, who may know a good candidate. And- please make it clear that I need someone who can read simple Spanish.

Thanks a bunch!

Lindsey

tish

Mar 10, 2007
Where do you live?

My husband's cousin who is Dominican is literate and is looking for a job. He lives in Santiago, but would be willing to move to where ever you live.

Aug 21, 2007
My husband's cousin who is Dominican is literate and is looking for a job. He lives in Santiago, but would be willing to move to where ever you live.

Thanks, Tish, for the referral. I am hoping to hire someone locally for personal reasons. But- not knowing if that someone presents himself, I will PM you with contact information.

By the way, for those new to the Dominican liquidation system, I had my liquidation calculated for me by a professional. My current gardener, while grossly overpaid, has worked for me for a little over a year and will receive tomorrow about $1,000 USD in liquidation.

The message is employer beware. When you have an unsatisfactory employee more than three months, he/she is costing you BIG bucks. Time is money. Don't be a nice guy and hope that things will get better with time.

They don't.

I am wiser now. I will pay appropriately and expect work commensurate to pay.

Lindsey

Mar 2, 2008
Heck, make it 15 K, throw in lunch and a siesta, and I'll do it.
Oh yeah, and bottled water.

Pero, yo no hablo espa?ol.

sam2610

Jun 14, 2008
I have sent you a PM. Domestic workers are not entitled to serverance pay, however are entitled to christmas bonus and holiday pay, As stated in the Codigo de Trabajo. For a translation in english please see the sticky in legal section.