Malaria in Punta Cana

Laney1980

Jun 12, 2008
I am travelling to Punta Cana (the Iberostar Dominicana) in about 7 weeks time and obviously we are just about to start thinking about vaccinations etc. We went to Jamaica last August so had Typhoid and Hep A, which I think covers us for this year too(will have to check with the doctor), but I?m now thinking about Malaria. I want to get the tablets for the children(ages 14,9 and 4), and my husband as he gets bitten alive. I?m not so sure I want to get them and I wanted to know how risky this is. We have been trying for another baby, and there is a chance I could be pregnant already, so should I give the medication a miss? I didn?t get bitten at all in Jamaica, even when travelling down the river in a raft! We use Deet, so would I be able to go without the medication?

Many thanks!::cheeky:

KateP

Silver
May 28, 2004
I haven't heard of any malaria cases in the past year in Punta Cana. I personally would not worry about that. I've lived here for over 3 years and have only heard of a few cases, mainly limited to construction workers.

Been many times to Punta Cana and never took any meds even though it is recommended by Health Canada (PHAC). Malaria is endemic to the area meaning it is there, this doesnt mean that if you get a mosquito bite you will get it.

PHAC strongly recommends that Canadian travellers consult their personal physician or a travel clinic at least six weeks prior to international travel regardless of destination, for an individual risk assessment to determine their individual health risks and their need for vaccination, preventative medication, and personal protective measures.

I would recommend that you consult your physician since you are posting from the UK.

MikeFisher

The Fisherman/Weather Mod
Feb 28, 2006
Punta Cana/DR
www.mikefisher.fun
i agree Kate,
in my over 13 years in PC i heard about a few cases, never knew somebody in person with malaria here in pc. i never used those meds myself and feel save,and i live in the middle of nowhere, get bitten on daily/nightly bases.
Mike

whirleybird

Silver
Feb 27, 2006
I am travelling to Punta Cana (the Iberostar Dominicana) in about 7 weeks time and obviously we are just about to start thinking about vaccinations etc. We went to Jamaica last August so had Typhoid and Hep A, which I think covers us for this year too(will have to check with the doctor), but I?m now thinking about Malaria. I want to get the tablets for the children(ages 14,9 and 4), and my husband as he gets bitten alive. I?m not so sure I want to get them and I wanted to know how risky this is. We have been trying for another baby, and there is a chance I could be pregnant already, so should I give the medication a miss? I didn?t get bitten at all in Jamaica, even when travelling down the river in a raft! We use Deet, so would I be able to go without the medication?

Many thanks!::cheeky:

We came from the UK and have lived here for 2 years now without any ill effects. Although we take no medication and haven't updated our vaccinations since we left we tend to encourage short term visitors to check with the doctor there to see what they recommend. To be honest I would be little concered about malaria though but always best to take precautions for the youngsters.

Rocky

Honorificabilitudinitatibus
Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
We came from the UK and have lived here for 2 years now without any ill effects. Although we take no medication and haven't updated our vaccinations since we left we tend to encourage short term visitors to check with the doctor there to see what they recommend. To be honest I would be little concered about malaria though but always best to take precautions for the youngsters.
The thing is, that it is so very very rare that you'd have a better chance of winning first prize in the lottery, and there's a big downside to taking those Malaria pills, as they are really hard on your system.
If someone were going to stay in Haiti, in a rural area, then I would say yes.
I took them myself in Kenya, but for Punta Cana, there's no way I would take them.
Not a chance.