Can Dominicans invest in Hedge Funds

Jean Gler

Jun 12, 2008
Hi everybody,

My wife and I are fresh residents in the D.R.
We make our living by introducing international investors to Hedge Funds.
Our company is registered off-shore and we are U.S.A regulated (CFTC/NFA)

I would appreciate if anyone can address the following:

1. Can Dominican Republic citizens invest outside of the D.R?
2. Can Dominicans invest in off-shore Hedge Funds?
3. Is there a tax on such investments?

We are looking to establish business relationships with High Net Worth and Institutions in the D.R, does anyone have any good ideas/tips?

Thanks!

Last edited:

PICHARDO

One Dominican at a time, please!
May 15, 2003
Santiago de Los 30 Caballeros
Hi everybody,

My wife and I are fresh residents in the D.R.
We make our living by introducing international investors to Hedge Funds.
Our company is registered off-shore and we are U.S.A regulated (CFTC/NFA)

I would appreciate if anyone can address the following:

1. Can Dominican Republic citizens invest outside of the D.R?
2. Can Dominicans invest in off-shore Hedge Funds?
3. Is there a tax on such investments?

We are looking to establish business relationships with High Net Worth and Institutions in the D.R, does anyone have any good ideas/tips?

Thanks!

1. Yes.
2. Yes.
3. Yes.

Fernandez

Bronze
Jan 4, 2002
Careful.

The Information and Tax Echange agreement of 1986 and subsequent agreements hold Dominicans investing capital abroad responsible for reporting all income and capital gains, subject to Dominican taxation. The "offshore" capital is also considered subject to the foreign currency gains and losses, and there are estate issues to consider.

As an international private banker with 30 years of advising Dominican investors, your activities in the DR are also regulated with respect to advisory and investment services, and you need to be careful exactly what you are advising- including "hedge" funds and non-traditional investments.

If not correctly structured, activities can be considered assisting "flight capital"

good luck.

Expat13

Silver
Jun 7, 2008
Careful.

The Information and Tax Echange agreement of 1986 and subsequent agreements hold Dominicans investing capital abroad responsible for reporting all income and capital gains, subject to Dominican taxation. The "offshore" capital is also considered subject to the foreign currency gains and losses, and there are estate issues to consider.

As an international private banker with 30 years of advising Dominican investors, your activities in the DR are also regulated with respect to advisory and investment services, and you need to be careful exactly what you are advising- including "hedge" funds and non-traditional investments.

If not correctly structured, activities can be considered assisting "flight capital"

good luck.

So for clarity purposes,CAN a DR Resident can legally invest offshore , but must report all income derived from investment as well capitail gains.And the oweness is on the DR resident to report this in his tax returns. This being said, can the resident wire money from his DR Bank to the offshore institution problem free? Also do the banks do money draft registered checks payable to other countrys i.e. USA or Canada?, UK? What is the local tax rate on these style of capital gains? THX

wuarhat

I am a out of touch hippie.
Nov 13, 2006
Careful.

good luck.

Do LRD citizens have access to any tax protected retirement investment vehicles such as the USA IRAs?

Tamborista

hasta la tambora
Apr 4, 2005

Thanks!

Honestly, do you really think anyone would share this on an open message board, and for FREE?

hube123

Oct 14, 2012
i am jr research and equity trader, i know that you can open a hedge fund but you will have have to do like a investment club in other word is investment club operate like hedge fund.

hube123

Oct 14, 2012
i am jr researcher and equity trader, i know that you can open a hedge fund but you will have have to do like a investment club in other word is investment club operate like hedge fund.

pauleast

*** I love DR1 ***
Jan 29, 2012
Yea right !! ....and I am a nuclear physicist and part time sanky.For someone claiming to be involved in hedge funds and looking to embrace persons and institutions with high net worth, he is asking some very basic and sophomoric questions.

Tamborista

hasta la tambora
Apr 4, 2005
Yea right !! ....and I am a nuclear physicist and part time sanky.For someone claiming to be involved in hedge funds and looking to embrace persons and institutions with high net worth, he is asking some very basic and sophomoric questions.

The thread is four months old and going nowhere.
Perhaps Boykin Curry is looking for investors in Playa Grande?

Last edited: