Hurricanes or tropical storms impact tourism?

Opulent1

Sep 9, 2007
Is there an analysis or any report showing the impact of hurricanes or tropical storms affecting tourism in the Dominican Republic. Also when was the last time a hurricanes or tropical storms directly impacted the Dominican Republic.

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
Last season we had two severe tropical storms (Noel in October; Olga in December) and one hurricane (Dean in August) which ended up only causing minor damage.

Storms and hurricanes rarely affect tourist areas and when they do the disruption tends to be limited to heavy rain keeping people indoors, and the effects only last a few days.

The main victims are people in poor-quality dwellings who live in vulnerable areas - riverbanks and flood plains - worlds away from the tourist sector.

kraash29

Jun 3, 2008
hi,
can anyone tell me what the weather is like generally in October. We have only had our place in Sosua for a few months and are considering returning in October. I expect its lovely there now as well!

Charlielyn

Bronze
Jul 31, 2005
I'm going to the DR for 4 weeks in October. I looked up the weather info that Planner puts on the DR1. She does the weather as it actually happens in PP. Last year October was very nice. Not too hot and not too rainy.