El Chaval in Montreal

Marianopolita

Former Spanish forum Mod 2010-2021
Dec 26, 2003
Comments about the festival-

Thanks for posting the program. It took longer than usual this year to have it finalized it seems. The program is quite interesting. I was wondering who would be the performers this year since it requires a lot of time and effort to get artists to play for the weekend of the festival (I imagine). Plenty of negotiating back and forth before getting all the details finalized.

My opinion on the program:

Salsa performer Tito Nieves- I was never a great fan of his music although he has a few nice hits. He is renowned in NYC and PR mostly for his salsa but never a "show stopper" artist by any means. It's incredible that he has even sustained his career considering his style salsa which is classic and mellow. I know nothing of his newer music but I am familiar with his music from the late nineties and the beginning of the decade. In a festival like this he should play music to please the crowd in other words 'salsa para bailar' and nothing else. Nothing too mellow.

Bachata performer El Chaval is a good bachatero. IMO, he has to be one of the most underrated and probably one of the best of the genre and not to mention very versatile with other guitar rhythms. I liked El Chaval once I sampled the first album I purchased of his and have been a follower of his music ever since. He's a talented guitar player with great sound of the supporting instruments and his bachata is not comparable to bachata you hear from competitor artists. He's unique and deserves recognition. My favorite album by El Chaval is Ayer y hoy. I bought it five years ago in Miami and I have never seen the album anywhere else. Not even online. It's full of wonderful bachatas especially songs #1 Aquellos d?as and # 2 Isabel. I am sure he will put on a good show.

Krisspy and Reggaeton- I don't know anything about this artist because it's not my preferred style of merengue. As for reggaeton in past festival performances the reggaeton artists were loud and noisy. I am sure there will be nothing different. Well, there has to be something for everyone.

As a general comment this annual event is the biggest Latino festival in Montreal and Canada hosted by the Dominican community. Much effort is required to make it a success and participation by the Dominican, Latin and local communities is what guarantees its survival. I participated over the last two years and had an enjoyable time. Of course there's always room for improvement but overall the event draws a large crowd in a vibrant culturally diverse city in mid-summer. It's an event to consider.

See previous threads. http://www.dr1.com/forums/dominican...al-merengue-festival-make-your-plans-now.html, http://www.dr1.com/forums/dominicans-abroad/62969-antony-santos-years-montreal-merengue-fest.html

-LDG.

La Mariposa

Bronze
Jun 4, 2004

Bachata performer El Chaval is a good bachatero. IMO, he has to be one of the most underrated and probably one of the best of the genre and not to mention very versatile with other guitar rhythms. I liked El Chaval once I sampled the first album I purchased of his and have been a follower of his music ever since. He's a talented guitar player with great sound of the supporting instruments and his bachata is not comparable to bachata you hear from competitor artists. He's unique and deserves recognition. My favorite album by El Chaval is Ayer y hoy. I bought it five years ago in Miami and I have never seen the album anywhere else. Not even online. It's full of wonderful bachatas especially songs #1 Aquellos d?as and # 2 Isabel. I am sure he will put on a good show.

-LDG.

I just found the album Ayer y hoy on Sympatico / MSN Music Store

I started the research by the artist and the only album I found was Para siempre so I did my research by the album Ayer y hoy and I found it. You can load the entire CD for 9,90$CDN + taxes. Unfortunately it's not possible for this CD to have a song preview and since I am not interested to buy the merengue could you do me the favor to tell me which songs are merengue.

Thanks

Marianopolita

Former Spanish forum Mod 2010-2021
Dec 26, 2003
Ayer y hoy-El Chaval

At the time when I purchased the album and for years after it was not available online. It is available now as you found it but years later. I have had the album for over five years. I noticed it was released on a different record label in 2006. That's probably why it's now available for online purchase.

1. Aquellos d?as- B
2. Isabel- B
3. Me dejaste solo- B
4. El dolor que siento- B
-add this to one of the best songs on the album. If you like to dance bachata this one is a gem.
5. Homenaje a Leo Dan-B
6. Me enamor? de ti- B
7. Me mata una pena- B
-beautiful song!
8. Qu? pasa entre los dos- B
9. La ma?osa- M
10. Mujeres divinas- Mariachi

B= bachata
M= merengue

I just listened to the whole album again before posting. Really you can't go wrong with it if you really appreciate good bachata. Enjoy.

-LDG.

...Unfortunately it's not possible for this CD to have a song preview and since I am not interested to buy the merengue could you do me the favor to tell me which songs are merengue.

Thanks

Last edited:

Bachaterodelnorte

Jun 22, 2008
El chaval en Montreal

New to this thread. Living in Qu?bec and RD, I just found out about one of my favorite bachateros (along with Raulin Rodriguez and Elvis Martinez) coming to town.
Would like to comment only one problem: j'aimerais le faire en fran?ais, o tambien en espanol ya que se trata de cultura dominicana, cultura latina.
Recien llegado de RD con las ultimas grabaciones de El Chaval, no se lo pierden en Montreal. Don't miss him in Montreal. Ne le manquez pas a Montreal. El Chaval offre une Bachata romantique avec de beaux accompagnements de guitares flamingantes comparables a celles de Raulin Rodriguez dans son dernier album. La bachata-flamenco est un style ?mergeant et prom?teur...

Last edited:

Bachaterodelnorte

Jun 22, 2008
New to this thread. Living in Qu?bec and RD, I just found out about one of my favorite bachateros (along with Raulin Rodriguez and Elvis Martinez) coming to town.
Would like to comment only one problem: j'aimerais le faire en fran?ais, o tambien en espanol ya que se trata de cultura dominicana, cultura latina.
Recien llegado de RD con las ultimas grabaciones de El Chaval, no se lo pierden en Montreal. Don't miss him in Montreal. Ne le manquez pas a Montreal. El Chaval offre une Bachata romantique avec de beaux accompagnements de guitares flamingantes comparables a celles de Raulin Rodriguez dans son dernier album. La bachata-flamenco est un style ?mergeant et prom?teur...
Sorry to say, but I don't speak english, unless obliged to do so...and talking about Bachata...Ay nooo!, como suele decir El Chaval, no me puedo imaginar comentar sobre un estilo, una cultura musical en un idioma ajeno. Al que le gusta la Bachata, que por favor aprenda su idioma, como yo lo hice...
Je suis nouveau sur ce site et je ne comprends pas pourquoi il faudrait communiquer en anglais ici!

Yes indeed, I have a big cultural problem, why should we talk about El Chaval in english in Montr?al, maybe I don't belong to this site?

montreal

Bronze
Apr 17, 2006
Sorry to say, but I don't speak english, unless obliged to do so...and talking about Bachata...Ay nooo!, como suele decir El Chaval, no me puedo imaginar comentar sobre un estilo, una cultura musical en un idioma ajeno. Al que le gusta la Bachata, que por favor aprenda su idioma, como yo lo hice...
Je suis nouveau sur ce site et je ne comprends pas pourquoi il faudrait communiquer en anglais ici!

Yes indeed, I have a big cultural problem, why should we talk about El Chaval in english in Montr?al, maybe I don't belong to this site?

Quiz?s....

Le monde sur ce site peuvent participer dans la langue de leur choix, sans vos commentaires mal dirig?s.

SOMOS TODOS PR?JIMOS, NO IMPORTA CUAL IDIOMA HABLAMOS. THAT IS ALL THAT MATTERS.

La Mariposa

Bronze
Jun 4, 2004
At the time when I purchased the album and for years after it was not available online. It is available now as you found it but years later. I have had the album for over five years. I noticed it was released on a different record label in 2006. That's probably why it's now available for online purchase.

1. Aquellos d?as- B
2. Isabel- B
3. Me dejaste solo- B
4. El dolor que siento- B
-add this to one of the best songs on the album. If you like to dance bachata this one is a gem.
5. Homenaje a Leo Dan-B
6. Me enamor? de ti- B
7. Me mata una pena- B
-beautiful song!
8. Qu? pasa entre los dos- B
9. La ma?osa- M
10. Mujeres divinas- Mariachi

B= bachata
M= merengue

I just listened to the whole album again before posting. Really you can't go wrong with it if you really appreciate good bachata. Enjoy.

-LDG.

Thank you Lesley

Bachaterodelnorte

Jun 22, 2008
Did anybody see El Chaval

Did he really show up at that festival. Was not able to make it to Montreal . Would like to hear comments.
Je consid?re El Chaval comme le plus original et le plus dynamique de tous les bachateros de la RD, j'aimerais avoir des commentaires sur son passage ? Montr?al.
Considero El chaval como el mas dinamico y original bachatero de la RD. Siento haber perdido su actuacion en Montreal en Julio. Me intereseria saber de aquella. Gracias.

Bachaterodelnorte

Jun 22, 2008
Quiz?s....

Le monde sur ce site peuvent participer dans la langue de leur choix, sans vos commentaires mal dirig?s.

SOMOS TODOS PR?JIMOS, NO IMPORTA CUAL IDIOMA HABLAMOS. THAT IS ALL THAT MATTERS.
C'est vrai, pero me siento mas a gusto hablando del Chaval en espanol, de Moli?re en fran?ais, and about Shakespeare in english!
Je pense que c'est une question de respect et de valorisation de la culture de chacun sans imposer une culture, une langue dominante sur aucune autre!

Bachaterodelnorte

Jun 22, 2008
Y algo mas!

SOMOS TODOS PR?JIMOS, NO IMPORTA CUAL IDIOMA HABLAMOS. THAT IS ALL THAT MATTERS.[/QUOTE]
C'est vrai, pero me siento mas a gusto hablando del Chaval en espanol, de Moli?re en fran?ais, and about Shakespeare in english!
Je pense que c'est une question de respect et de valorisation de la culture de chacun sans imposer une culture, une langue dominante sur aucune autre!
Je ne resents absolument aucun int?r?t ? utiliser , et a promouvoir l'usage d'une langue anglo-saxone aux accents d?j? imp?rialistes et dominateurs pour d?crir des particularit?s musicales et culturelles associ?es ? une culture et une langue bien identifi?es...Asi que no me interesa por nada hablar de bachata en ingles...
Le fait de vivre au Qu?bec depuis de tr?s nombreuses ann?es me rends d'autant plus sensible aux effets perverts, r?ductionnistes et limitatifs de l'h?g?monie de la langue anglaise dans notre monde au niveau culturel.
Heureusement que la force de certains ?l?ments culturels non-anglosaxons ait r?ussi au cours des derni?res ann?es ? renverser la vapeur. Ce qui personnellemt me fascine et me r?jouis le plus c'est l'explosion de la culture latino-am?ricaine ? travers des styles comme le reggaeton, des artistes comme Jennifer Lopez, Shakira, Rickie Martin, qui ont su imposer des rythmes latins et la langue espagnole aux EU. A un niveau moindre, notre C?line est aussi ? f?liciter pour avoir chanter en fran?ais ? des oreilles pas habitu?es...