Flights cheaper in D.R.?

Sugoya

Jun 15, 2008
Hello eri-body,

I've noticed that DR fairs from NYC to DR are kind of expensive in July. I was wondering if it may be cheaper for me to just buy a one way to D.R., and then buy the return flight over there. What are the typical prices for flights from Santo Domingo to NYC (any links?) Thanks.

Sugoya

Jun 15, 2008
Crap! D.R. is like that too now? I guess I just have to adapt with the times. Anyway, I'd still like to know about flight prices over there and any potential websites with flights over there, and if necessary I'd have someone purchase it for me and potentially send it over to me.

I do not have Dominican residency. I got an address and a whole family over there, but no residency. Are they real strict about it like that? I don't have my father's skill to bribe them.

Feb 7, 2007
Crap! D.R. is like that too now? I guess I just have to adapt with the times. Anyway, I'd still like to know about flight prices over there and any potential websites with flights over there, and if necessary I'd have someone purchase it for me and potentially send it over to me.

I do not have Dominican residency. I got an address and a whole family over there, but no residency. Are they real strict about it like that? I don't have my father's skill to bribe them.

It's not the country it's the airline.
AA, DL, CO etc will not let you on the flight if you do not have a RT. One way around it Si to book a reservation, non-paid, on a competing airline (which they cannot check whether is ticketed or not) and bring in the official itinerary printout from the competing airline as a proof of your return travel arrangements.

Sugoya

Jun 15, 2008
So, let's say I book the reservation on a competing airline, I need a credit card for that, right? And then would I simply be able to cancel via online or telephone. I've never done that kind of thing before. Do any of you have any examples or positive/negative stories about this method?

Also, can any of you tell me the typical price now and in August of a one-way flight from Santo Domingo to NYC.

Muchas Gracias.

SKing

Silver
Nov 22, 2007
It's not the country it's the airline.
AA, DL, CO etc will not let you on the flight if you do not have a RT. One way around it Si to book a reservation, non-paid, on a competing airline (which they cannot check whether is ticketed or not) and bring in the official itinerary printout from the competing airline as a proof of your return travel arrangements.

Somebody explain to me how all of the expats who live in DR and don't have residency got there?
Buy returning flights and then cancel them?

Feb 7, 2007
So, let's say I book the reservation on a competing airline, I need a credit card for that, right? And then would I simply be able to cancel via online or telephone. I've never done that kind of thing before. Do any of you have any examples or positive/negative stories about this method?

Also, can any of you tell me the typical price now and in August of a one-way flight from Santo Domingo to NYC.

Muchas Gracias.
You can book a flight at Copa Airlines, Airline Tickets, Last minute airfare to Latin America, travel to Central America. and hold the valid reservation without paying for it for up to 72 hours. You do it a day before your trip, pick up the Copa itinerary and show at the AA/DL/CO counter if asked.
I was never asked for return ticket (I was, actually travelling return portion) on Air France flights to the DR...

daydream

Bronze
Sep 19, 2004
Somebody explain to me how all of the expats who live in DR and don't have residency got there?
Buy returning flights and then cancel them?

Although I now have my residency, I have travelled many times from the UK to the DR on a one way ticket and was never asked to see a return ticket or whether I had residency. I believe they are much more strict if travelling from the USA or Canada as I have a few friends who have been caught out at the airport and had to book a return flight there and then and cancel it later. However bare in mind that you will have to pay more for a cancelable ticket and it can take a while to get your money back.

Most people try to find a cheap return ticket and just don't bother using the return portion or, as other posters have said, reserve a ticket just before your flight and take the reservation confirmation to the airport with you if they ask.

Sugoya

Jun 15, 2008
Thanks for all the info. everyone. Can any of you direct me to a good website, or the name of a place in D.R. where I can get cheap fares from Santo Domingo to NYC.