I'm relocating to the DR - need as much advice as possible + a realtor

nm2251

Jun 15, 2008
Hello,

I'm moving to DR in about 6 months with my husband and 2 children.

I need to find a realtor to help me find a furnished rental home/apt before we commit to buy.

I would welcome as many suggestions and advice regarding where to leave (we are flexible and can live anywhere in the DR), what to bring from the US and what is best to buy there, any good international movers, ect.

I'm also looking for good American schools.

Any shared experience will help.

Thanks
N

dreamsource

Jul 29, 2007
more, specifically?

An idea of where you are looking to plant yourself would be helpful here- it's a fairly large country, after all...
As for 'american schools', the International school in Sosua is bi-lingual, and is located on La Mulata road. Which does you no good at all if you're settling in another area!

BushBaby

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
www.casabush.org
I don't know about others who post this sort of information here on DR1 but before I would be able to advise a location suitable to you, I would want to know a few more things.
How old are you & the children?
Do you have to WORK here or are you looking to retire down here?
Do you speak spanish or will you be looking to join an Ex-Pat community?
What level of security are you looking for?
Have you visited the DR before & do you know your way around?

Have a search through the archives (Use the 'search' function & use keywords like 'Relocating', 'moving to the DR', 'English speaking Schools') & from this you should find a whole new set of questions to ask. We look forward to helping when the questions are a little bit more specific to YOUR needs. ~ Grahame.

Mack_Drag0n

May 29, 2008
I have a similar requirement, so i thought i would tag it on. I am going to be staying in Santiago for two weeks and would rather rent a short term apartment for me and my girlfriend [DR] than stay in a hotel. Any realters that anyone can recomend? Next year i will be moving here in a semi retirement scenario and would need longer term rental. Thanks for any advice.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
To Mack DragOn: There are no apartments for two weeks.
You can go to most of the Motels and strike a deal for two week stays. Or you can go to Hotel Colonial which is less expensive (abt RD$1500 for a dbl, breakfast included.) Or Alberto's Aparta-Suites in Los Pepines.

HB

AK74

On Vacation!
Jun 18, 2007
To Mack DragOn: There are no apartments for two weeks.
You can go to most of the Motels and strike a deal for two week stays. Or you can go to Hotel Colonial which is less expensive (abt RD$1500 for a dbl, breakfast included.) Or Alberto's Aparta-Suites in Los Pepines.

HB

Stated price in Colonial (Calle Cucurullo, close to Calle Del Sol ?) is for one night? $45US?

OMG!
Just two years ago I stayed there for $8 US per night.

Jun 18, 2007
www.rentalmetrocountry.com
Hello,

I'm moving to DR in about 6 months with my husband and 2 children.

I need to find a realtor to help me find a furnished rental home/apt before we commit to buy.

I would welcome as many suggestions and advice regarding where to leave (we are flexible and can live anywhere in the DR), what to bring from the US and what is best to buy there, any good international movers, ect.

I'm also looking for good American schools.

Any shared experience will help.

Thanks
N

Hi N.
As others also asked where are you planning to move to? If it's the South Coast then maybe you want to check out Juan Dolio and we have a good International school here.
It's only 45 minutes away from the capital.
For apartments visit my website: Home - www.rentalmetrocountry.com or click on my DR1 banner.
Good luck

nm2251

Jun 15, 2008
Thanks for all the replies...

After some research we are thinking to relocate to Sasua, but again, we're open to other areas as long as there is an America school around.

Our kids are 2.5 and 6 (she's starting first grade this year).

We work from home so work or being close to work is not a factor.

We would love to stay close to the beach but this also is not a requirement.

We would have to rent a furnished house (at least 3.5 BR) for at least 6 months.

If you've relocated with or without family and would like to share your experience and wisdom after fact, I welcome all comments.

Thanks,
N

nm2251

Jun 15, 2008
I don't know about others who post this sort of information here on DR1 but before I would be able to advise a location suitable to you, I would want to know a few more things.

How old are you & the children? 2.5 and 6

Do you have to WORK here or are you looking to retire down here? I work from home, so location is not an issue

Do you speak spanish or will you be looking to join an Ex-Pat community? I speak some Spanish (I was born in the DR) but my husband and children do not. BTW - what is and Ex-Pat community?

What level of security are you looking for? I want my family to feel safe in our own home and yard

Have you visited the DR before & do you know your way around? last time I was there was in 1979 so I can't say that I know my way around anymore...

Have a search through the archives (Use the 'search' function & use keywords like 'Relocating', 'moving to the DR', 'English speaking Schools') & from this you should find a whole new set of questions to ask. We look forward to helping when the questions are a little bit more specific to YOUR needs. ~ Grahame.

Thanks, N.

Mack_Drag0n

May 29, 2008
Thanks Hillbilly

Any Internet web links or contact info on Alberto's Aparta-Suites in Los Pepines?? Can't find anything in the search engines.

Muchos gracios..

kjacw

Nov 21, 2007
I am american here and my wife a dominican living here in Santiago. I can give you some help as we have relocated here since July 2007. Send me an email kjacw12@gmail.com and we will go from there.

kjacw

Nov 21, 2007
My name is Ken and I am semi retired from the military. I moved here in 2007 of July.
My wife says the same thing about lilving in tourist places and I agree with her because the tour cities are most costly and not as quiet as a place like Santiago. I like it her in Santiago. The capital is much much busier to live. Sosua is a tourist area with the same problem. Puerta Plata is a tourist area with the beaches near by and perhaps many people want to live there for that reason but Santiago is only about 2 hours from there and to take a bus there is not that bad also.
My wife is a Dominican and I have 3 kids. Two were born in the US 5 and 6 a step-son who is Dominican.

The first thing that we did was to buy the car that I wanted to have sent with me- a 2001 Suburban and have it in my wife's name because she is a Dominican and it is as if she is moving back to her country and the taxes to receieve the car would be about 40% that we would pay as opposed to paying the 100%. We had the car for 1 year. That is the lay The law 168 (La ley 168 which applies to Dominicans who lived in the US for so many years and want to move back they don't have to pay the 100% of taxes) This may not apply to you but this is the info because the government will try to rip u off and futhermore cars are a little more expensive here, but if you are coming by yourself then this wont apply for you.

The second thing that we did is took our marriage license, birth certificates of children and mine and had them translated by the Dominican Embassy in Miami ( We lived in Louisiana) for a little price. We sent them there after speaking to someone who would do it for us and she gave us the address and how much to send and how to send it I think about $150 each. We did this so that I could obtain my residence here because they would need the marriage license. Maybe this is not your case, marriage that is. But if you plan to stay here for a length of time and plan to work here some jobs that you don't have to speak spanish here some of them require the Dominican id -- the Cedula. When you arrive here to stay in 2009 make sure that at the airport the give you your that tourist card because they will want to keep it but you need it for your residency.

The third thing that we did is to send some of our furiture to the DR and the company that we used ( Aeromundo Express in Mahattan, New York AEROMUNDO EXPRESS - Bienvenidos ) They sent our furniture and our car for us. The furniture came right to our door here in Santiago. We were not even living here in Santiago yet and they sent our things directly to the address that we would be living. My mother-in-law was here and she recieved our things with no problem, it took about 6 weeks.

I hope this gets you started.

slug

Oct 13, 2005
Just be careful of Sosua. Juan Dolio is a much better choice, along with other nearby towns in the area. If you do decide on Sosua I know two very good agents there.

bart6

Aug 17, 2007
moving to sosua

my recommendations are to look for rentals in Sosua Cabarete area by checking the following

dafrealty.com
amberguardian
drrentalsonline

all very reputable, amber guardian is one of the largest property managers (European owned) so has a good supply David of DAF realty is a Dominican broker with impeccable credentials and DR Rentals is a property management company which does rentals with an American owner.

my daughter (six years old) will be going to international school next year and it is considered to be one of the better schools on the island.

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
Do yourself and your family a big favor and come to Santiago (FORGET Sosua). I recommended the same to DR1'ers Sking and The Hun. they also used my friend who is an honest and cheap realtor. Let me know if you are interested.

bakersindr

Jan 2, 2008
members.shaw.ca
We purchased a villa in Sosua ourselves and love it there and the people we have met. We had immense help from our Realtor Jim Belair from American Realty DR. He has a great web site if you look it up that includes real estate and some rentals.

el santi

Mar 20, 2008
Do yourself and your family a big favor and come to Santiago (FORGET Sosua). I recommended the same to DR1'ers Sking and The Hun. they also used my friend who is an honest and cheap realtor. Let me know if you are interested.

Couldn't agree more.
santiago is about one hour drive from sosua anyway
and you have the choice of @ least 5 bi-lingual schools.
plus all the benefits of a big city.