matilda's trip to the North!

Matilda

RIP Lindsay
Sep 13, 2006
So at last I made it to the famous Sosua! Took the new road from the airport to Nagua which was fabulous. God knows why they have made it only two lane. It is very nearly finished and a nice journey through palm tree forests and Los Haitises. It takes 2 hours from Juan Dolio to Nagua, and then another 2 to Sosua. Cutting the journey time dramatically. There was very little traffic onthe way up but it was busy on Sunday late afternoon with people heading back to the capital.

Spent the night at Las Canas which was lovely and many thanks to Judy who was a fantastic hostess. Then a trip into Sosua itself. I had never seen so many people and so many ex pats. In Juan Dolio you can count the number of ex-pats on two hands and usually the main street is empty. We have a few italian restaurants and two bars which are aslo normally empty.

There it was heaving. Music, people, food. Unbelievable!!! Met the infamous Rocky who is a sweetheart and his ribs were to die for.

Also met several more DR1ers which was great to put faces and bodies to the names!!!

A good nights sleep and then off to Whirleybird's for lunch. Beautiful finca, Archie was adorable, lovely grub and then off home with the Force in me in the back with the dead sheep (lamb chops for tea tonight - yippee!)

So main differences I thought was the sheer number of ex pats, much fewer here, much more lively in Sosua than Juan Dolio, far more nice things to eat, land is much cheaper, cooler at night there than here.

So if you want to get fat and have fun then Sosua is for you. If you want to stay thin and spend your holiday reading a book then come to Juan Dolio!!!

Many thanks to all, I had a fab time and with that new road, I will be back!!!!

Matilda

Rocky

Honorificabilitudinitatibus
Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
Matilda,
Meeting you after all this time knowing you on the net, was well worth the wait.
You far exceeded my expectations, and I had high expectations.
Your man is a peach of a guy and one heck of a carver too.
Many thanks for the gifts.
Hope to see y'all soon.
Marco.

J

John Evans

I "get it" now he carved the wooden figures not the lamb and pig - sorry I wasnt able to meet you but I dont actually exist , Im a computer virus

El Viejo

Jan 2, 2002
Marco Infamous??

"! Met the infamous Rocky who is a sweetheart and his ribs were to die for.

infamous

Main Entry: in?fa?mous
Pronunciation: \'in-f?-m?s\
Function: adjective
Etymology: Middle English, from Latin infamis, from in- + fama fame
Date: 14th century
1 : having a reputation of the worst kind : notoriously evil <an infamous traitor>
2 : causing or bringing infamy : disgraceful <an infamous crime>
3 : convicted of an offense bringing infamy

Hmmmm lol

lili4ever

Jan 22, 2008
sculptures...

Hi Matilda...enjoyed reading your trip report and that you had a great time....

Do you have pics of the sculptures?

Would love to see some of them...

thanks in advance for sharing

lili

Matilda

RIP Lindsay
Sep 13, 2006
No pics but if anyone wants them I will do pics. We have storks, flamingos, dolphins (big and small), elephants. dogs heads (big and small), cockerels, (big and small). He is about to try doing turtles as The Force in me wants a turtle, and horses heads and eagles. These are all in mahogany. And in painted pine we have flamingos, parrots, storks and ducks!!! The painted ones were done for a gift shop which never opened and the mahogany becasuse he loves doing it in his spare time. If anyone is interested I will post photos. We haven't ever sold any, just give them away to special friends!!!!!

matilda

Lambada

Gold
Mar 4, 2004
www.ginniebedggood.com
What's he like on faces? I sense a whole new career progression.......politicos carved heads and shoulders. Or maybe caricatures of opposition notables? :cheeky: all marketed under 'if you want to get ahead get a Mr. Matilda bust...........' ;)

Feb 7, 2007
Matilda, nice trip report. Rocky is a great guy. I will be up there (probably 4th of July - where will the celebration be ? In Sosua again?). If only it was not that faaar.

Tell me one thing - do you think you were better off travelling via Samana highway?

I count it from Juan dolio to SDQ is 30 minutes, 30 mins SDQ, 1 hr 30 mins to Santiago exit, and 1 hr 30 mins to Sosua. So it's about the same time (4 hrs).

Do you think it's better to travel via Samana HWY or Duarte HWY to POP/Sosua from our (East Coast) area?

Rocky

Honorificabilitudinitatibus
Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
Tell me one thing - do you think you were better off travelling via Samana highway?

I count it from Juan dolio to SDQ is 30 minutes, 30 mins SDQ, 1 hr 30 mins to Santiago exit, and 1 hr 30 mins to Sosua. So it's about the same time (4 hrs).

Do you think it's better to travel via Samana HWY or Duarte HWY to POP/Sosua from our (East Coast) area?
I think that the times are similar, but that the new road saves you the frustration of going through Santo Domingo, and it could save you time, if you arrive there at rush hour.
There's little question about it being a more scenic route too.
The only folks who will benefit from a big difference in traveling times, will be those coming from the Samana Peninsula, or the Nagua/Cabrera areas.

Mar 2, 2008
I'm kinda looking forward to seeing the old boy myself, around the same time, as a matter of fact.

Rocky is like that eccentric uncle we keep locked in the cellar. Every once in awhile it's good to check in on him, just to see if he still remembers us. It is a way to validate our existance, sort of a personal barometer.

Then it is probably in everyone's best interest to lock him away again for another year. Like mamajuana, you can make too much of a good thing.

I'm just kidding Rocky!

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
I do wonder if the views are worth the tolls. The only conceivable reason to take that road (except to explore it and say you've done it) is to go to Samana or Las Terrenas. The money you save in fuel by the shorter route is offset by the tolls.
Amen to the frustration of fighting a few kilometers of Santo Domingo traffic.

I think that the only reason the road was even built was that the contract GUARANTEES a certain traffic flow (which guarantees a profit). If traffic falls below that level, then the government is supposed to pop for the difference.

I am glad that Matilda and hubby got to the North Coast. That was a good description of a rather hectic weekend. And, yes, of course Rocky is "infamous"...whynot?

HB

rio2003

Bronze
Aug 16, 2006
Following in Matildas footsteps I too will be treading the well worn path to Rockys this summer - a virgin visitor, no less (well in one respect ; )

Apart from the ribs - anything else I should know?

An enquiring Rio...... :glasses:

Matilda

RIP Lindsay
Sep 13, 2006
Matilda, nice trip report. Rocky is a great guy. I will be up there (probably 4th of July - where will the celebration be ? In Sosua again?). If only it was not that faaar.

Well it is usually more like 40 mins to Santo Domingo and although I have done through the captial in 30 mins sometimes it takes an hour. Then yes about 1hr 30 to Santiago but you just have to stop for the batatas on the way!!! It just saved going through the capital and felt quicker to me. Also a big plus was that the new road was empty so it felt safer driving, and yes the tolls were 325 RD$ but ti was only 258kms, and 1/2 a tank of gas. I don't know the mileage the other way but it sure feels like more. It was jsut good hitting the atlantic ocean in just under 2 hours!!!

Matilda

Matilda

RIP Lindsay
Sep 13, 2006
Following in Matildas footsteps I too will be treading the well worn path to Rockys this summer - a virgin visitor, no less (well in one respect ; )

Apart from the ribs - anything else I should know?

An enquiring Rio...... :glasses:

Drink the house red wine it is gorgeous

rio2003

Bronze
Aug 16, 2006
Cheers!

Drink the house red wine it is gorgeous

Great tip - I luurve vino tinto but avoid it like the plague in the DR - that is wonderful news!
Thankyou
Rio

And how fitting for a 600th post - it is about booze!!

Last edited: