Visit with Roberto

yelkcub

Dec 11, 2007
www.buckrobin.com
Roberto is one of the boys whom I sponsor through Children?s International and today was his 11th birthday and so this was why I chose to visit Santiago at this time. He lives in a town called Mao which is about an hour?s drive from Santiago. I was accompanied on the visit with Yaseni from the Santiago office of C.I. who served as translator and we were joined in Mao by Marta who is the Social Worker at the regional office there.
The day spent with the family was a thoroughly enjoyable experience. I had brought several gifts for Roberto ? his favourite being the baseball glove and ball.

robertomeandhisgifts.jpg

After spending some time at the house, we went out to eat. This is a picture of me and Roberto at the restaurant:

robertoandmeatrestaurant.jpg

After eating, Roberto wanted to get home so that he could meet up with some of his friends and try out his new ball glove:

robertohisnewglove.jpg

A quick pick-up game was organized in the street near his home. Following are a few pictures taken of the kids playing ball:

baseballplayers.jpg

baseballgame_2.jpg

baseballgame_6.jpg

robertoswinging.jpg

robertoswinging_2.jpg

baseballgame_6.jpg

When it was time to leave, we had a group picture of me, Roberto and some of his friends who came over to celebrate his birthday:

grouppicture-Robertosbirthday.jpg

Tomorrow, I get to do it all over again with a visit with the other boy I sponsor - Bianny, who is 8 and who lives in Santiago.

It?s impossible to express fully in words the satisfaction one gets from being involved!

Robin

Mar 2, 2008
Thank you for the story and the pictures.

It's great to see the faces of happy kids and one very happy adult.

Good on you Robin. Anyone could tell by your face that you enjoyed it as much as the kids did. Nice going.

lollipop

Mar 28, 2008
Thanks a lot for posting this thread. It is one of the nicest things I've seen in a while.

Good for you!

bigbird

Gold
May 1, 2005
Yelkcub, That is so nice what you do. These are some of the best pics I have seen in awhile. You are one GOOD man!

CFA123

Silver
May 29, 2004
Yelkcub,
Always great to see how a little time, effort, and money can impact someone else. These young people will not soon forget you.

And what a pleasant thread compared
to those discussing more prurient travel itineraries.

Berzin

Banned
Nov 17, 2004
It would be appreciated if you could give us information about the sponsorship.

I am sure more people would get involved if they knew more about it, and your photos really brings to light what we need to do more of.

Great photos!!!

Rocky

Honorificabilitudinitatibus
Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
Those are million dollar moments.
The baseball glove puts the icing on the cake.
Nothing could make a Dominican boy happier.

yelkcub

Dec 11, 2007
www.buckrobin.com
It would be appreciated if you could give us information about the sponsorship.

I am sure more people would get involved if they knew more about it, and your photos really brings to light what we need to do more of.

Great photos!!!

Sponsorship costs only $22 US per month. C.I. have offices In Santo Domingo and Santiago. Information is available at their web site.....

Children International - Sponsor a child today!

yelkcub

Dec 11, 2007
www.buckrobin.com
Those are million dollar moments.
The baseball glove puts the icing on the cake.
Nothing could make a Dominican boy happier.

I can thank you for giving me the initial inspiration to get involved because it was during my trip to DR last Xmas when I dropped off some gifts for the kids at your place that I decided I wanted to sponsor a child in the DR.

Robin

melchan

Apr 4, 2007
i was just near Santiago over the weekend. I went to Navarrete and handed out toys on the poorest street I could find in Navarrete.....many of the kids were Haitian.

I brought lots of dolls and cars, baseballs etc.

I handed out lots of things to Shoe shine boys as well.
Any person traveling to DR should bring things to give away.

You can really make some poor people happy that way.

I was only in DR for 3 days yet i brought 6 suitcases full of gifts for people I dont know.

melchan

Apr 4, 2007
Unfortunately i did not take photos because adults (non-parents) were following and you never know if you will get robbed. I was travelling alone and did not want to look like a tourist by stoping for photos.

I wish I had the kids smiles on camera though.

yelkcub

Dec 11, 2007
www.buckrobin.com
i was just near Santiago over the weekend. I went to Navarrete and handed out toys on the poorest street I could find in Navarrete.....many of the kids were Haitian.

I brought lots of dolls and cars, baseballs etc.

I handed out lots of things to Shoe shine boys as well.
Any person traveling to DR should bring things to give away.

You can really make some poor people happy that way.

I was only in DR for 3 days yet i brought 6 suitcases full of gifts for people I dont know.

That's great! Just seeing the look on the kids' faces is what makes it all worthwhile.

Robin

El Tigre

El Tigre de DR1 - Moderator
Jan 23, 2003
Two months later I can now see the pics. I figured out my job was blocking them.

I wanted to see the picture to see the excitement and happyness on Roberto's face. It is priceless!!! I applaud people that do this. I do the same but not through a program. I just take a whole bunch of neighborhood kids to a day of pizza and ice cream. It makes me very happy when I see them enjoying themselves.

Good stuff!!!

orangeblossom

Nov 3, 2008
Thanks for posting these. Ive been sponsoring my child for almost 5 years and am hoping to meet her soon. The trip sounded wonderful.