Jaragua Hotel shootign on Friday

SJC0009

Oct 12, 2007
Has anyone heard anything about the shooting that happened at the Jaragua hotel on Friday. I heard that the man was killed near the entrnace to the gym. I have stayed there many times and there always seems to be a lot of security.
Anyone have any news to share?

Bryanell

Bronze
Aug 9, 2005
Has anyone heard anything about the shooting that happened at the Jaragua hotel on Friday. I heard that the man was killed near the entrnace to the gym. I have stayed there many times and there always seems to be a lot of security.
Anyone have any news to share?

I think that you can continue visiting the Jaragua without fear of getting caught in any crossfire. This was not a random killing or an innocent by-stander catching a stray bullet. If you read Spanish you will find many reports on this assassination by Googling the name of the victim (Hector Ortega) and Jaragua. If you don't read Spanish I think you won't find an English item.

This murder showed all the signs of a very well organised and profession "hit" and apparently the victim was aware that he was in somebody's "sights" since whilst talking to his wife on the phone seconds before,he reportedly said to her "Call an ambulance, they've come to kill me!"

The victim was a very well-known Dominican engineer, high profile, well connected but rumour has it that he was in a legal conflict, a suit with a very, very high financial claims.

Although the incident itself has been described in great detail in the local media, not much has been reported about the victim's background, except that he was related by marriage to a couple of military generals, and even less about possible motives or possible suspects who might have contracted the killer.

An interesting case with very few published clues that might lead to a successful investigation and eventual solving of the crime.