AA Now Charges $30 to Check 1 Bag to DR

Status
Not open for further replies.

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
AA has instituted a $30 US charge to check one bag, if you have the nerve to want to check another you will pay $50 US for the second.

This includes travel to the DR.

sascha

Oct 4, 2007
There are some exceptions to this according to their site...

The following customers will not be charged a service fee to check a bag provided the bag is within the weight allowance:

- For the first checked bag, customers who buy a ticket before June 15, 2008
- For the second checked bag, customers who purchased a ticket before May 12, 2008
- Customers originating travel in the U.S., U.S. Virgin Islands, Puerto Rico or Canada
and traveling to an international destination beyond the U.S., U.S. Virgin Islands,
Puerto Rico or Canada
- Customers originating travel outside the U.S., U.S. Virgin Islands, Puerto Rico or
Canada and traveling to an international destination
- Customers who purchase full-fare tickets in Economy Class
- Customers who purchase Business or First Class tickets
- Customers flying on AA codeshare flights not operated by American Airlines, American
Eagle or AmericanConnection?
- Customers traveling on government or military fares
- Military passengers on active duty
- AAdvantage Executive Platinum?, AAdvantage Platinum? or AAdvantage Gold?
members oneworld Alliance Emerald, Sapphire or Ruby members
- Customers flying on the same reservation as an AAdvantage Executive Platinum...
- AAnytime? Economy Class AAdvantage award tickets, MileSAAver(SM) or AAnytime - -- First and Business Class AAdvantage award tickets
- First and Business Class upgrades confirmed prior to check in AAirpass travel

Happy Travels :)

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
Bottom line is what I said in Post #1. You fly US to DR you pay. Of course tickets purchased before this robbery do not apply.

AA makes John Gotti look like a punk. They are mafioso all the way.

Fishguy

Oct 22, 2006
- Customers originating travel in the U.S., U.S. Virgin Islands, Puerto Rico or Canada
and traveling to an international destination beyond the U.S., U.S. Virgin Islands,
Puerto Rico or Canada

Hmm... Am I reading something wrong here? Isn't the DR an international destination?

A quick search on the net says this only applies to continental flights. Sure about this?

La Mariposa

Bronze
Jun 4, 2004
Bottom line is what I said in Post #1. You fly US to DR you pay. Of course tickets purchased before this robbery do not apply.

AA makes John Gotti look like a punk. They are mafioso all the way.

You fly US to DR you don't pay since the DR is an international destination

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
You fly US to DR you don't pay since the DR is an international destination

Wrong, you pay. The Caribbean is in the area you have to pay. It was on the news all day, interviewing Dominicans at the airport that were not too happy.

You can call AA in SD at this number to verify this if you want.
809-542-5151

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
Wrong, you pay. The Caribbean is in the area you have to pay. It was on the news all day, interviewing Dominicans at the airport that were not too happy.

You can call AA in SD at this number to verify this if you want.
809-542-5151

Their website doesn't indicate the Caribbean as Domestic, only PR & US VI. I'm hoping you are wrong.

Dolores1

DR1
May 3, 2000
www.
I asked at AA today (18 June) and was told that travelers originating their travel in the DR (did not ask about travel originating in the US) have exempt two bags weighting 50lbs and the carryon. No change in the rule, at least for those traveling tomorrow. I would think this would apply for the other way around.

More so because of what was published above: "Customers originating travel in the U.S., U.S. Virgin Islands, Puerto Rico or Canada and traveling to an international destination beyond the U.S., U.S. Virgin Islands, Puerto Rico or Canada. "

esntrk1

Nov 20, 2004
I just booked MIA to STI today and did not pay for checked bag. The agent said DR is considered an international destination.

Fishguy

Oct 22, 2006
Everything on their webpage says that DR to US or Canada (& visa versa) has not changed. Connecting flights would be a possibility.

If they tried to charge me, I'd refer them to their website. They need to change it if they plan on charging people:

baggagejl4.gif

ElvisNYC

Jan 27, 2006
This thread should be deleted because it's very misleading and wrong, as AA WILL NOT charge $15 for the first checked bag and $25 for the second bag.

The following customers will not be charged a service fee to check a bag provided the bag is within the weight allowance:

Customers originating travel in the U.S., U.S. Virgin Islands, Puerto Rico or Canada and traveling to an international destination beyond the U.S., U.S. Virgin Islands, Puerto Rico or Canada

Currently Jetblue is charging customers for checked bags to DR !!

ElvisNYC

Jan 27, 2006
Everything on their webpage says that DR to US or Canada (& visa versa) has not changed. Connecting flights would be a possibility.

If they tried to charge me, I'd refer them to their website. They need to change it if they plan on charging people:

[/IMG]

Connecting flights would not count !!!

If you start from any NA destination and stay, let's say, in PR for one day, you will get charged for checked bags. If you connected in PR to go to DR, you won't get charged for checked bags.

Kyle

Silver
Jun 2, 2006
15 or 30 bucks..what's the difference ? it's the economy...

is this going to stop you from traveling ? NO !!

STIOP

Jun 11, 2004
Lowdown...

baggagejl4.gif

The charge is US$15 for the first (as Santo pointed out) and US$25 for the second on DOMESTIC travel, which includes Puerto Rico an the Virgin Island.....

Consider this.... If you are CONNECTING in Puerto Rico or any other state in the US, you will be charged the Fee in the Dominican Airport your departing from.... Example --> SDQ-SJU-LAX, or STI-MIA-LGA since your second leg will include a domestic travel.

Fishguy is correct on his post, no charges (as of now) for travel to/from DR in AA without connections (not yet, I hope they keep it that way)

Regards!!!

STIOP

El Tigre

El Tigre de DR1 - Moderator
Jan 23, 2003
AA has instituted a $30 US charge to check one bag, if you have the nerve to want to check another you will pay $50 US for the second.

This includes travel to the DR.

You need to get your facts straight. I purchased tickets on AA to the DR two days ago and after I purchased I immediately called AA to clarify this very same issue. They said those fees apply to continental US only.

One thing to note: when the airline industry started going broke the fee to check in bags between 50 and 70 lbs on Delta and AA was $25 for a few months. Then, it was increased to $50. This is still allowed at $50 per bag.

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
I reported exactly what was said on the local news. If they were wrong than I apologize, because I would than be wrong also.

This will still come into play here as many AA flights connect with SJU.

La Mariposa

Bronze
Jun 4, 2004
If you travel Canada - D.R. with connecting flight in the USA, you don't pay to check the bags till the USA because your final destination is an international one. I just checked with AA.

Status
Not open for further replies.