DR Guidebook

Liesbet

Jun 26, 2008
Hello all of you DR-lovers,

Quick question: Which guidebook would you recommend to backpack this country and why?

Muchas gracias!

montreal

Bronze
Apr 17, 2006
I prefer the Rough Guide. I do not suggest the Moon book, I found it very innacurate when I read it.

None are perfect though and you are better off with a couple of them ;)

jrzyguy

Bronze
May 5, 2004
i used rough guide my first couple of trips..not complete and not completely accuerate but a good start

Tamborista

hasta la tambora
Apr 4, 2005
Maybe he can teach us about eating Popola salad in Andres de Boca Chica on the porch!

:bunny:;):bunny:;)

A

apostropheman

I've never bought or used any of these guides

Hello all of you DR-lovers,

Quick question: Which guidebook would you recommend to backpack this country and why?

Muchas gracias!
I've never bought or used any of these guides, although after about 15 trips I did skim through some in the library, to see if I was missing anything. My conclusion was that I didn't miss a thing.

The internet and DR1, and knowledgeable friends, are far better and more up to date resources.

I emailed Rocky before my first trip (we had not met yet he answered dozens of questions, most of which were really silly in hindsight :D), listened to his guidance after I arrived and then wandered around on my own getting my bearings. While doing that I met a few friends, that I keep in contact with to this day, and learned more about the area. I just kept building on that trip after trip. I've now been to many places on the island from Punta Cana to Sabaneta with many stops along the way. I've vacationed in the North and South and know my way around, the basics at least, in Santo Domingo and Santiago. I've also been to Higuey, La Vega, Boca Chica, Villa Altagracia, and tons of other places.

My point?

There's no substitute for referrals from friends, those that live there and are "in the know", as well as first hand experience.

You don't need an outdated book when you have DR1, a brain and some cojones...
(or are huevos more appropriate?) :D whether you are going to Sosua or exploring the Island solo.

A

apostropheman

I understand that those days are over...almost anyway. You'll find him in and around Sosua, solo, on his next trip to paradise! :cheeky::bunny::bunny:
Maybe he can teach us about eating Popola salad in Andres de Boca Chica on the porch!

:bunny:;):bunny:;)

Aug 19, 2004
"There's no substitute for referrals from friends, those that live there and are "in the know", as well as first hand experience." - probably the best advice though you need to find someone with similar tastes and interests to yourself - Punta Cana for example may be great for some but not for all.

I certainly prefer the Rough Guide (good background information) but like all the others it is just an introduction. There is also a DK guide to the top 10 locations - this is suprisingly comprehensive.

Sep 20, 2003
In my opinion, the best guide book out there on the Dominican Republic is one that was put out by the Discovery Channel. The book came out about 5or 6 years ago and also covered Haiti. The book includes a lot of history and a great run down on Dominican politics in the 1990's. There are a lot of interesting places of historic interest listed in it.

It's different from Rough Guide and Lonely Planet in that is has less information on night life and bars, but I think if you picked up a copy along with one of the other guides, you would have a more complete overview of the island.

You can pick up used copies on Ebay or used book sellers online.

thurston

Apr 21, 2007
Hi Liesbet,

Take a look at the (Insight Guide to the Dominican Republic & Haiti) this is a publication
by APA Publications, and Discovery Channel. Insight Guides

Happy Days

danely

Apr 23, 2004
The Lonely Planet guide for the DR and Haiti used to be "the gold standard" in my opinion. I have read it cover to cover and think it is great, and still refer to it. I think that the original edition from 1998, has been updated recently.

Liesbet

Jun 26, 2008
Thanks for the info, funny guys... :) I`ll probably have to go with LP or RG. The problem is, though, that they both come out with a brand new version in November 2008, and I need the book before that. I guess I will have to buy the "inaccurate" old one and deal with it. Enjoy Sosua!

Liesbet

Jun 26, 2008
Danely,

I wish LP had come out with a new version of the DR-Haiti combo. I'd love to get that one. I read a lot of info about the DR already, just need to get a guide with some prices for hostels and decent maps for our little road trip.
Thanks again, all of you!