Can I get Dominican tags on my car I have shipped to Santo Domingo for the USA?

live_for_life

Mar 4, 2007
I want to get my car shipped from Miami, Florida to Santo Domingo. But I will need Dominican tags to drive it in the Dominican Republic. But I cannot get a Dominican driver's license until I apply for residency. Can I get Dominican tags on my car with a driver's license from the USA? I wonder how much it will cost to ship my car from Miami, Florida to Santo Domingo? I have a lot of money tied up in my car so I do not want to leave it in the USA if I decide to live and stay in the DR permanently. I will get the low jack system instaled on my car once I get it to the Santo Domingo to try to keep someone from stealing it. I may have to get a little body work done on my car before I ship it over. How much import tax wil the DR hit me with? Do I need my cars bills of sale or will the DR customs people go by the year of the car in terms of the value of it?

Ezequiel

Bronze
Jun 4, 2008
I want to get my car shipped from Miami, Florida to Santo Domingo. But I will need Dominican tags to drive it in the Dominican Republic. But I cannot get a Dominican driver's license until I apply for residency. Can I get Dominican tags on my car with a driver's license from the USA? I wonder how much it will cost to ship my car from Miami, Florida to Santo Domingo? I have a lot of money tied up in my car so I do not want to leave it in the USA if I decide to live and stay in the DR permanently. I will get the low jack system instaled on my car once I get it to the Santo Domingo to try to keep someone from stealing it. I may have to get a little body work done on my car before I ship it over. How much import tax wil the DR hit me with? Do I need my cars bills of sale or will the DR customs people go by the year of the car in terms of the value of it?

Yes you can get a tag, yes you can use your U.S. driver's license.

I'm saying YES not because i want to say yes, my cousin shipped his car to the DR, and he registered the car got a tag with his New Jersey driver's license. He never got a DR driver's lic.

gonzaloque

Feb 14, 2005
BEWARE...

It sounds like this is the first time you are sending a car to the DR. If so, please consult with an expert as there are a million different ways the customs people there can screw you. Sending a car to the DR means you have to pay an import duty, customs tarif, 16% ITBS plus misc. filing fees that may vary according to "tigueraje".

If I were you I would contact a reputable car dealership in the DR and have them broker the process for you. I have done this in the past and - for a fee - they basically handle all the BS, avoid having to grease anyone and register your car on the spot.

Your car leaves the dock with registration and plates.

Fernandez

Bronze
Jan 4, 2002
BEWARE...

It sounds like this is the first time you are sending a car to the DR. If so, please consult with an expert as there are a million different ways the customs people there can screw you. Sending a car to the DR means you have to pay an import duty, customs tarif, 16% ITBS plus misc. filing fees that may vary according to "tigueraje".

If I were you I would contact a reputable car dealership in the DR and have them broker the process for you. I have done this in the past and - for a fee - they basically handle all the BS, avoid having to grease anyone and register your car on the spot.

Your car leaves the dock with registration and plates.

I agree 100%- use the system that exists and let those who work it handle the matter.
Good advice.

kjdrga

Mar 25, 2002
I would also like to eventually send my 1998 corolla over to the DR. I don't have DR residency but my husband is Dominican. Although he's not on the title of the car. Is there a way to still send the car even though it's over 5 years old. I don't even mind if I have to pay taxes on it.

TheHun

May 4, 2008
For my best knowledge vehicles older than 5 years are prohibited to import.
They won't even take the penalty anymore, simply no cars older than 5y - unless it's qualified as a "collector" vehicle.
If you bring a car here you have to pay a $hit load of import duty, tax and registration. They will evaluate the car based on their rules, you can check that on the aduana's web page.
I'd suggest to apply for residency first - unless you or spouse is dominican- and use the "mudanza" law before you ship or receive the vehicle to save some serious $$$.
I imported my 3 y/o Toyota last summer - I wouldn't do it again. For the same amount you can buy a car here and save all the shipping and BS with the aduana.

Zee