Is Ensanche Ozama a good, safe, clean neigborhood? I hope it is not a barrio.

ExtremeR

Silver
Mar 22, 2006
Ensanche Ozama is not a barrio, but it is nearby Ave. Venezuela and that means a lot of noise every night, and is not safe with Los Mina 3 minutes away in a 70 (motorcycle).

GringoCArlos

Retired Ussername
Jan 9, 2002
Calle Club Rotario runs parallel to, and is only one block away from the main highway (Ave Las Americas) that runs through the area. A fast and rapid getaway for anyone trying to steal or pull something off. Also a lot more noise and traffic and air pollution.

Most of Ensanche Ozama also has below-average electricity, and above-average noise and problems. If you want to live on the east side of the river, a better choice might be Alma Rosa, which lies just to the east of here but is better in both respects, and has less crime.

gonzaloque

Feb 14, 2005
As with many things in the DR, there isn't really an easy answer to your question. Is Ensanche Ozama a good, safe, clean neighborhood?

That depends on many things. Obviously you aren't going to find too many rich people in this very traditional working-class neighborhood, the "first" planned neighborhood "del otro lado", yet that doesn't make it necessarily a bad neighborhood. The fact that the average home or apartment there currently sells for 2 to 3 million pesos is a good indicator that it isn't home to an army of unemployed peasants with soon-to-be-delinquent children, either.

You have to spend some time there and get a feel for the neighborhood's "vibe" or energy. There is no other way around it. Ensanche Ozama and Alma Rosa get a bad rap mainly because they are the oldest neighborhoods "on the other side" and therefore are looked down upon by the so called elite who can afford to live in the more affluent National District neighborhoods we all know and love.

However, as we all know too painfully, for every five-star neighborhood in the national district, there is an accompanying trash-filled, delinquent-friendly ghetto right next door. I found this out when I bought my first house in Arroyo Hondo and discovered that I could get home faster by cutting through Cristo Rey or by driving up Republica de Colombia Ave and cutting through another repulsive slum that turned out to be only blocks away from my very expensive home. OH MARGOT!

I do agree with the previous poster, however, if you choose to reside in Eastern Santo Domingo, check out the newer developments in Alma Rosa, basically anything to the east of Venezuela Avenue. There are some really nice neighborhoods in there, if you do your homework.

Last edited:

tiguerita

Jan 5, 2004
If you are asking because you are in the market for a house in Santo Domingo Este, try Urb. Italia. Very quiet.

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
I have been to Ensanche Ozama. Yris has 2 aunts living there. One lives in a reasonable neighborhood in a 3 million peso house(approx) The other Aunt in a very upscale house(small mansion) Both areas were not very noisy. I felt reasonably safe. Not a barrio.

2dlight

Bronze
Jun 3, 2004
El Jefe de seguridad might welcome a resurrection if he loses the "debate entre la vida y la muerte"