Toronto - Concert - Jos? Manuel Cobles, ?Puerto Plata?

margaret

Bronze
Aug 9, 2006
There's a concert coming up July 12th @ Harbourfront Centre
8 pm presenting the work of an 84-year-old Dominican guitar veteran.
Jos? Manuel Cobles, “Puerto Plata”

It's part of the 3 day Latin festival (film, music, dance, art, theatre, workshops, food etc.)

Ritmo Y Color festival
Harbourfront Centre in Toronto
July 11-13, 2008

It's all free!

Music

Bronze
Apr 19, 2002
www.flickr.com
Nice Margaret thanks for posting that :) I will check it out for sure I love all the entertainment, art etc. at Harbourfront it's great!! :)

Gabriela

Bronze
Dec 4, 2003
Toronto here--thanks for the wonderful musical tip. I wonder if anyone knows how to contact him for an interview, and whether he speaks English.

Gabriela

Bronze
Dec 4, 2003
I will, though I might have to use an interpreter, since his English is not good and neither is my Spanish. FYI he's also at Sunfest, in London, Ontario, the previous Saturday and Sunday.
Thanks again for the tip.

Gabriela

Bronze
Dec 4, 2003
Hi Margaret,
You were so right--his manager wrote me back immediately. I also wanted to let people know that there is a wonderful world music event in London, Ontario the previous weekend, and Puerto Plata is singing there on both Saturday and Sunday. It's also a free festival. In any case, I plan to go to Harbourfront. Maybe we could have a DR1 reunion in the beer tent before the show. Hmmm....I'll contact the centre to load up on Presidente.

margaret

Bronze
Aug 9, 2006
Thanks great Gabriela! Will you do this for print, radio or television? Keep us posted. That link from the NYC world music festival has some background information on the music and his own personal history. I'd love to read or listen to your interview or story and sure Presidente or no Presidente, I'm always happy to meet with people from DR1. Unfortunately I won't be able to bring Barcelo blanco in a paper bag as it's seems to be evaporating quickly. :)

Sunfest - Yes, that looks like a wonderful event for London (Ontario) people.

Here's a link: Sunfest

Last edited:

Roberto284

Jul 2, 2004
Hi Margaret,
You were so right--his manager wrote me back immediately. I also wanted to let people know that there is a wonderful world music event in London, Ontario the previous weekend, and Puerto Plata is singing there on both Saturday and Sunday. It's also a free festival. In any case, I plan to go to Harbourfront. Maybe we could have a DR1 reunion in the beer tent before the show. Hmmm....I'll contact the centre to load up on Presidente.

I'm in ! Also can fill the job as the interpreter...
Where's the beer ? :p

margaret

Bronze
Aug 9, 2006
Another event you might like to attend, Salsa on St. Clair.
Same weekend... July 12 and 13!!
with Carlos Cruz and Alex Bello performing.
Here's a link to the site.

I'll go to Harbourfront though 84-years-old... first CD... kind of like a member of the Dominican Buena Vista Social Club and I hear the other two guys who play with him are really good also.

margaret

Bronze
Aug 9, 2006
I should be there around 7:30. I went last night (African salsa, Cuban jazz and son cubana, etc.). It's a good fiesta down there.

tarrantino

Jan 12, 2006
I was there at Salsa from 12:30 until around 3:30, I missed Alex Bello, but I caught a couple of groups. Thr only thing is that I couldn't find any Dominican food. I was desperatley craving Tostones lol

Last edited:

tarrantino

Jan 12, 2006
I was there at Salsa on Saturday from 12:30 until arounf 3:30. I also missed Alex Bello, but I caught a couple of groups. The only thing is that I couldn't find any Dominican food. I was desperatley craving Tostones lol.

margaret

Bronze
Aug 9, 2006
I was there at Salsa on Saturday from 12:30 until arounf 3:30. I also missed Alex Bello, but I caught a couple of groups. The only thing is that I couldn't find any Dominican food. I was desperatley craving Tostones lol.

I went to Harbourfront for the concert with Puerto Plata. It was really good. I think I would say most of the performance was son Dominicano and some traditional merengue and early bachata. I don't know how to describe it as I'm not familiar with the history of the different musical genres. But he's quite amazing, almost 85 and still going strong and the crowd really appreciated him but didn't start dancing until the last two songs. Typical reserved Torontonians. It would have been the perfect place to screen the film 60 millas al este, as they were showing a lot of films as well.

tarrantino

Jan 12, 2006
Sounds like it was a great show. I think that we will check out Harbourfront this weekend and see what I find. As far as Salsa on St. Clair, the weather held out. Yay!!!!

Gabriela

Bronze
Dec 4, 2003
I did get to interview PP and found out there is also a documentary about the Mirabel sisters coming out, with a dynamite soundtrack. Stay tuned for further information.