Please recommend a good lawyer to handle Residency in the DR!

richardmci

Dec 27, 2007
Note from Mod;

The OP is looking for lawyer recommendations that our DR1 members have used and were happy with to get their Residency in the DR.

Thanx in advance.

Last edited by a moderator:

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
If you need a good immigration lawyer here in the DR to help with your documents to go to the US you might check some firms in Miami or NY(via the internet of course)to see if they are affiliated with any here in the DR.

If it is concerning immigration to the DR, check the legal section for references. Also, it can be done cheaply if you live here and can speak a little Spanish.

Last edited by a moderator:

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
should have made clear am looking for immigration to DR ;) ... this board would probably not be the right place for US immigration.

chose "Best of DR" because Robert suggest this as a category for this forum. Also, the Legal board deals with specific legal questions, not references or endorsements to particular practitioners. And, a prominent immigration lawyer serves as expert to that forum ... it would be bad form IMHO to discuss lawyer pros and cons there.

Bold 1 - still there are requests as such once in a while, and I do live in the DR and know a Richard.

Bold 2 - Say you but it is done more or less all the time, recommendations of good lawyers and who to stay away from

I searched the legal forum for the threads that have to do with "residency" and quite a few came up with info you need.

http://www.dr1.com/forums/legal/74586-assistance-permanent-residency.html

http://www.dr1.com/forums/legal/68516-help-residency-santiago.html

http://www.dr1.com/forums/legal/67837-residency-card.html

Also, depending on how much money the lawyer thinks you have, they will probably try to charge between US1k to 2k per residency.

You can do it yourself here for US300 or so - I did mine for even less.

Also, you don't need a residency to live here legally for any period of time. There are many who have lived here for more than 10 years and traveled w/o any problems.

richardmci

Dec 27, 2007
Thanx Chip ... good stuff. Q: can you drive legally beyond, say 90 days, if you don't have the residency? Isn't that the motivation for the residency visa?

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
Thanx Chip ... good stuff. Q: can you drive legally beyond, say 90 days, if you don't have the residency? Isn't that the motivation for the residency visa?

What is your definition of legal? No seriously, I have been driving with an expired Florida drivers license with no problem. People have told me you have a certain amount of time to get a Dominican license but then again I'm sure there are hundreds of expats who don't have one.

Also, what's the darned rush? Just do it all when you get here and save yourself a bundle. As much as they changes the visa requirements here I'm sure any stateside lawyer will charge a whole lot more. Just come here and do it.

richardmci

Dec 27, 2007
Chip,

I'm not talking about getting a stateside lawyer for DR ,,, that wouldn't be smart. I agree it should be done in DR. The issue is what documents to bring so that you don't have to be running back and forth. I have read the Guzman stuff closely, and still there are complications. Someone said they lost their hair DIY and would have it done by a DR lawyer next time. (I've already lost mine so what's next:classic:)

With all the respect due to you for your experience, what would happen if you are driving and got in a car accident, and there was an injury to another party? You don't have a DR license. You don't have DR residence. You are driving on an expired Florida license. Seriously, please discuss just a bit. I don't scare too easily but there are a few car and driver scare stories on these forums.

richard

AnnaC

Gold
Jan 2, 2002
The OP is looking to our members for any recommendations of lawyers you have used to get your Residency in the DR.

Look quickly I'm moving this to the legal forum.

Good luck

Matilda

RIP Lindsay
Sep 13, 2006
Maybe I am wrong here, but as far as I am aware if you are here over a certain amount of time (3 months?) you need a Dominican drivers license. If you do not have one of course you can drive but if you have an accident then your car insurance is not valid.

And if your tourist visa expires then you are here illegally. The Dominican government may not deport you as some other countries would but you are still in the country illegally, and as such you have less rights than Dominicans and foreigners who do have residency. That is not to say that many ex pats do live here illegally without problems.

Matilda

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
Matilda, exactly. Plus you will have problems if you have an accident and you are on an expired visa or more than 90 days. This is the reason the cops/insurance will always photocopy your passport entry stamps if your not a resident and have an accident.

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
Chip,

I'm not talking about getting a stateside lawyer for DR ,,, that wouldn't be smart. I agree it should be done in DR. The issue is what documents to bring so that you don't have to be running back and forth. I have read the Guzman stuff closely, and still there are complications. Someone said they lost their hair DIY and would have it done by a DR lawyer next time. (I've already lost mine so what's next:classic:)

With all the respect due to you for your experience, what would happen if you are driving and got in a car accident, and there was an injury to another party? You don't have a DR license. You don't have DR residence. You are driving on an expired Florida license. Seriously, please discuss just a bit. I don't scare too easily but there are a few car and driver scare stories on these forums.

richard

Truth be told, I have a FL DL that is up to date that I leave in my house.

Answer a few questions for me so I can give you some advice.

1. Are you married to a Dominican and if not do you have any Dominican friends who can act as guarantor for the application process?

2. Do you have tax records for the last two years?

Also, if you don't have a State issued birth certificate go ahead and order two of them.

richardmci

Dec 27, 2007
Thanx Chip I appreciate it but I can afford the lawyer, which was why I began the thread. I don't want to spend the next year standing in line in ministry offices trying to DIY.

That said, wHat got me started, frankly, is that certain law firms with high DR1 visibility appear to be following a policy of not responding to queries for representation that originate out of country. Basically, if you call from the US, they intentionally don't follow up. I have worked with lawyers for many years, both professionally and in my private affairs, and have paid legal fees at the highest level. I could be wrong, but I am gathering that they don't think you're legit until you're in country. They may treat you fine if you walk into their office ... all I am saying is that something is not right when you start out with a call or email from the US.

So, there is a fine listing of lawyers all over the country which I again draw attention to, posted at the consular section of the embassy

http://www.usemb.gov.do/Consular/ACS/attorneys.pdf

I am wondering if the DR1 community is using the services of some of these highly credentialed and experienced professionals, and would recommend them for immigration, general family law, business matters, and criminal representation should the need arise.

richard

GringoCArlos

Retired Ussername
Jan 9, 2002
My first comment is that I would not take the word of the US Embassy over any DR1 member who lives in the DR and has 1000 or more posts. (and if you want, go ahead and discount my opinion too, even with 1081 posts). Ever, in ANY situation.

The embassy/consular people turn over every 3 years, and it takes at least that long in the DR to get your bearings and your feet on the ground. Collective government wisdom normally consists of GIGO. They also have their own collective agendas. Most longterm DR1ers don't have an agenda other than maybe being a bit rough on newbies or sockpuppets.

The attorney who did my residency work specialized in residency and really, REALLY knew her stuff, as well as knowing every single person in every single office that dealt in the residency process, and many DR1 people used her services for residency. Unfortunately, she has apparently given this work up for politics. I'm sorry, but I cannot personally recommend anyone else for this type of work.

I have used Biaggi & Messina, located on Ave Abraham Lincoln in La Julia in Santo Domingo, directly across the street from Vimenca's main offices, for general business law, and other minor matters. They know their stuff, they are "plugged in", and they get it done. Correctly. They also do international law, business incorporations, family law, wills, etc.

I have had dealings with a couple of other firms mentioned in the report you included, but walked away when they chose to act in ways that I did not appreciate. Others may have had better experiences with them, or higher tolerance levels than I did. I dealt with a few young attorneys who would have been doing minor work for me, but if they want to be treated as professionals, they better act as professionals....and if they are reading this, they know who they are, and the circumstances. Perhaps they need better, or closer, guidance from the senior members of their firms. And trust me, they DEFINITELY knew that I was not pleased with them before I left....

If I am paying the bills, they work for me and do the work I am asking for, or else I leave and find someone who will do so. I have never been shy about letting them know upfront what I expect, and in return don't try to negotiate their fees. I expect that they know their value, and can set their fees based on my expectations. Biaggi & Messina were more than happy to accomodate me, their fees weren't cheap, but they got it done to my satisfaction.

I have also met or associated with a few of the other attorneys from firms on the Embassy list who wear very expensive suits, knew all of the right people, know all about the finest wines and restaurants, wore expensive jewelry, had extensive government contacts (or partners serving as members of the Dominican government), but underneath it all, they "felt" too slick. In my travels, I have run across some of their work for DR citizens and/or businesses in other countries, and a lot of their work which I have seen outside of the DR has been slimy.

Good luck.

Last edited:

richardmci

Dec 27, 2007
Thanx GringoCarlos, do you have the number for Biaggi and Messina, as they're not on the list?

I agree with your sentiments. For those that want or need professional legal representation, if you do not receive professional service from a lawyer or their staff, anywhere in the world, walk away. You will often know very quickly what kind of service you are going to receive if you pay attention to the signals. In the case of the DR firms which claim to work exclusively with foreigners, if you feel you are just another piece of meat right from the start, do not engage them. Initial warning signs: phone calls and emails not returned, lawyer repeatedly not available for telephone consultation at appointed time as promised, receptionist at main office of large law firm dealing exclusively with foreigners cannot (will not?) greet and direct phone calls in English for English-speaking clients.

Work from referrals. There are alternatives. Do your homework.

richard

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
The residency is easy especially if you speak Spanish. I did it and with a lawyer to do the documents if you have a birth certificate it can all be done easily in two months.

richardmci

Dec 27, 2007
using lawyers

for redonion, windeguy, karlheinz and me (and probably others), the complicating issue turns out to be the birth certificate. see the neighboring threads 'legalizing birth certificate' and 'consular report of birth abroad'.

richard

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
The birth certificate is a piece of cake if you have the an original issued one. It no longer has to be translated and certified by the Dominican consule abroad, It can be done here in the DR. Like I said, peice of cake.

richardmci

Dec 27, 2007
birth certificate

Chip,

It is my fault for not explaining this more clearly but what you are missing is this:

in fact we do have an original birth certificate. What happens is that in the DR's legalization process, they request your ORIGINAL birth certificate. A copy won't do. There are those of us born abroad who can't surrender our original (FS-240), so we didn't know what to do. (As an aside, for legalization, you couldn't even provide an 'apostille' per Hague Convention, which would also require you to surrender your original. Anyway, DR didn't sign on to the convention.)

The proper solution requires you to go to Dept of State for DS-1350. ... NOT to "have your birth certificate certified at the Dominican Consulate in your country of birth" as was recommended by a knowledgeable source in the Legalization thread. This would mean going back to Germany to visit the DR consulate there?!?! :ermm: I'm not a lawyer, but this was quite wrong.

So, your piece of cake is an apple if you have a state issued (e.g. Florida) birth certificate, but we are talking about oranges ... 'otra cosa'.

richard

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
Chip,

It is my fault for not explaining this more clearly but what you are missing is this:

in fact we do have an original birth certificate. What happens is that in the DR's legalization process, they request your ORIGINAL birth certificate. A copy won't do. There are those of us born abroad who can't surrender our original (FS-240), so we didn't know what to do. (As an aside, for legalization, you couldn't even provide an 'apostille' per Hague Convention, which would also require you to surrender your original. Anyway, DR didn't sign on to the convention.)

The proper solution requires you to go to Dept of State for DS-1350. ... NOT to "have your birth certificate certified at the Dominican Consulate in your country of birth" as was recommended by a knowledgeable source in the Legalization thread. This would mean going back to Germany to visit the DR consulate there?!?! :ermm: I'm not a lawyer, but this was quite wrong.

So, your piece of cake is an apple if you have a state issued (e.g. Florida) birth certificate, but we are talking about oranges ... 'otra cosa'.

richard

I see your point. why don't you call the local migracion office in santiago and talk with one of the staff lawyers they have. They are very helpful and knowlegeable.

(809) 971-4218