Translation Please =]

Status
Not open for further replies.

mslady1989

Jun 26, 2008
Hey Everyone !

i knw tht k lo k means wassup in Dominican slang

basically this is what i want to be translated in dominican spanish.

Whats up(k lo k?)
are you dominican?

when asking someone if they are dominican could i also replace dominican with platano?

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
Hey Everyone !

i knw tht k lo k means wassup in Dominican slang

basically this is what i want to be translated in dominican spanish.

Whats up(k lo k?)
are you dominican?

when asking someone if they are dominican could i also replace dominican with platano?

NO, NO and double NO.

Simple say "Usted es dominicano?"

mslady1989

Jun 26, 2008
thanks everyone for the feedback.
but i meant to say could you translate it it the way another Dominican would ask another Dominican.

not traditional text book Spanish?

i dnt knw if im coming off clearly.

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
thanks everyone for the feedback.
but i meant to say could you translate it it the way another Dominican would ask another Dominican.

not traditional text book Spanish?

i dnt knw if im coming off clearly.

While I'm not Dominican I live in the DR and travel frequently to Orlando where I have the chance to meet Dominicans. Believe it or not people have asked me, young and old, if I'm Dominican in the DR and Fl and they have done it by asking exactly what I posted above.

bachata

Aprendiz de todo profesional de nada
Aug 18, 2007
K lo k .....? in good Dominican spanish means : que es lo que pasa? o que es lo que hay ? Que se mueve ? Que tal ? etc.
In english what's up ?.

JJ.

Jan 5, 2006
Just so you know; in the early 1980s, when Puerto Ricans still outnumbered Dominicans by a great margin in the northeastern US, platano was a derrogatory term for a person of Dominican descent.

When calling someone stupid, as in the context of JDJones' "resident expert", platano or yuca is never used. In that case, you would call someone a ?ame; as in: "Tu eres un ?ame!" ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.