Have A Heart (long appeal post)

peteclaffey

Apr 30, 2006
At the end of August , 2007 Ken & Sue Fisher made the decision to relocate from England to the D.R (Costambar) .They have bought a house here, love everything about their new life , they give generously to local charity event we have organised, their daughter comes over in August to get married on the beach, they have part-time work to supplement their budget, life could not be better. On the 16th June Ken complained of severe chest pains, he was taken to the Bournigal Centre in PP where he was admitted and several checks were carried out, non of which were conclusive,on Friday20th June he was transferred to hospital in Santa Domingo (possibly called Plaza De la Salud but that sounds more like the addressto me)and was admitted to the Cedimat ward , (apologies in advance for any mis-spelling of names or words). He was diagnosed as being in neeed of triple by-pass, and that it was urgent, he underwent a failed "angioplasty" , his condition deteriated, the dr overseeing Kens treatment told Sue that surgery was both vital and to be done a.s.p. sue was also told that $20,000 must be paid before the operation and that 8 pints of blood were needed to replace in the blood bank.After a few frantic calls to the U.K the money was raised, Ken and Sue do have health insurance but this only covers $16,000 of the as yet estimated costs of Kens treatment which is $36,000,maybe more if aftercare is extra The 8 pints of blood was not a problem , 12 of Kens friends in Coatambar, German Belgian ,Dutch , Dominican & Equadorian, without hesistation left Costambar at 5.00am to travel to S.D to donate blood , between them they managed the 8 pints needed.Kens condition was getting worse. Monday 23rd June at 7.00am the surgeon Freddy Madura begins the triple by-pass operation, Sue worried his family in the U.K frantic woth worry , his many friend worried . After a very very long wait of 8-9 hrs we recieved a tearful phone call from Sue, joyful tears , both Freddy Madura and Dr Elizabeth Valdez where happy, the operation was a success, euphoria replaces all worries Sue is elated of course.By Thursday Ken is walkin the ward and his recovery is startling.The wedding in August, that had obviosly been in doubt should be o.k Both Ken & Sue have nothing but praise for all the medical staff here in PP & S.d , fom surgeon to nurses they are so impressed We know that the main thing is Kens health, and we as friends sought their permission to do a little fundraising to offset their costs , thinking financial stress would no be beneficial to Kens recovery, after vsome thought they agreed on condition tha a donatiod is made to health carein PP. possibly in public hospital but to be discussed at a later date, As we all know it low season here , places are quiet , however donations from local buisnesses and friends has already raised 15000+ pesos.On Friday 4th July we are holding a auction and fun night to raise funds for the good cause(s), for the auction we have already recived items iincludidng golf clubs . jewellry. beauty treatment, tickets for tours , meals in local resteraunts, many more that are available to View in Barcode sandwich bar Calle Central , Costambar.Please if anybody has a unwanted item they wish to donate please can you leave at Barcode, any day except Wednesday , we can even arrange pick up if needed the more lots for auction the more money raised , please if you can , join us for a fun night , Ruths home-made pasties will be available , a treat in itself, Thanks for all who have helped and thanks in advance for those who plan to

gringosabroso

Oct 16, 2004
Auction! Specifics?

A great idea! 2 comments:
* 1. where & what time will the auction be?
* 2. You should be aware that the DR1 - 4th of July party has been shceduled for Rock'ys, Sosua the same day; I think the hours of the party @ Rocky's are @ 1:00 - 8:00 PM.
* I don't know how many of the POP bunch are spending July 4th @ Rocky's? Another night on the 4th of July weekend might be better for the auction? More attendees? More $? Food for thought?
* Keep up the great work! Could there be a better cause?

peteclaffey

Apr 30, 2006
thanks for your comments ,the auction will be at Barcode, the starting time will be flexible, I notice that Rockys party ends arund 8.00 pm , maybe if people from there wish to coninue their fun we could start 8.30 ish? it would be nice to meet people from DR1, there will be many bargains , maybe pople could call in and leave a bid ?

ffritz

Feb 7, 2008
www.gymbar.blogspot.com
Well I've barely seen my missus since this happened, she's too busy fund-raising. Of course the more the merrier & you can count on us to have a hell of a party in Ken's honour!

drloca

Silver
Oct 26, 2004
Wishing him a speedy and uneventful recovery and return to good health so he can walk his daughter down the aisle in August.

Good luck too with the fundraiser and two thumbs up to all the organizers.

peteclaffey

Apr 30, 2006
latest news , Ken has been dishcarged for hospital , hes staying in S,D hotel then he gets a rousing welcome home ,what a man !

sylindr

Nov 29, 2007
great to hear

It is great to hear about his recovery. Good luck with the fundraiser. I wish I were there to lend a hand. Thanks for the updates and for getting the word out!!

peteclaffey

Apr 30, 2006
before the grammer police arrest me , i am willing to donate 10 pesos for every spelling mistake in the original post , can somebody tell me how much I owe ? , wish i had not givem my secretary the day off !

BushBaby

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
www.casabush.org
Bugga Pete you only owe RD80 lmao
I didn't go in to check fully but I am confident that if you include grammar and punctuation errors this figure will be increased by at least 500% (say to RD $400!!! :cheeky:

My regards to Ken & Sue & naturally I wish Ken a very speedy recovery.

Let me know what golf clubs are available please - I think I have a good home for them where they will act as teaching tools for a couple of newly appointed EGTF teachers!! If you post the details of what else is available in the auction, some items may well get a good bid via PM or on this thread.

If you need additional ideas as to where to donate that proportion of profits attained from the auction, let me know as I have an idea formulating in my head that could well appeal to Ken & Sue. It is NOT anything I am involved with but comes from something I saw on this notice board a few weeks ago & could fit well into their plans/desires. ~ Grahame.

buttons66

Oct 3, 2006
go for it!!!!!!!!!!!

You know what Pete - just put RD$500 and we won't say another word about you spelling and grammar even if you have told us you are dyslexic.
We still love you.

Bushbaby the list is too long to type on here of the donations - but if you or Lambada are here on Tuesday please feel free to look around in Barcode.
Maybe you would like to donate a copy of your book!!!!!!!!

buttons66

Oct 3, 2006
OMG Pete

Ok you owe RD$1000 for the worse mistake you have made - tut, tut, tut!!!!!!!!!!
Re-read about he people who donated blood..................

Where were us Brits? Me, Mike and Liz............

You are in so much trouble.:disappoin

buttons66

Oct 3, 2006
By the way folks - Ken was released today and is recovering in a hotel in Santo Domingo and will be back here in Costambar on Thursday.
Way to go Ken.

buttons66

Oct 3, 2006
blood

Dear London,
They had the 8 pints of A+ needed for the operation but needed another 8 pints for the Plasma, Platelets and red blood cells. Hence it was easy to get 8 people to donate.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Sorry dude, but I counted 35 mistakes.
I am going to see if there might not be a way I can ship a painting up there. A good one.

HB