Jarabacoa Day Trip

LaTeacher

Bronze
May 2, 2008
hello.

we're trying to go to jarabacoa for a day this week and was wondering if anyone had any suggestions on what to see while we're there?

we're traveling with a 10 month old baby, so no strenuous hiking, but we'd like to maybe see some of the waterfalls that are easier to get to.

thanks!

tjmurray

Bronze
Aug 11, 2006
hello.

we're trying to go to jarabacoa for a day this week and was wondering if anyone had any suggestions on what to see while we're there?

we're traveling with a 10 month old baby, so no strenuous hiking, but we'd like to maybe see some of the waterfalls that are easier to get to.

thanks!

Obviously, the biggest attraction in Jarabacoa is the upper Jimenoa Waterfall. This will be too strenuous of a hike if you have a 10 month old baby. Fortunately, there is a smaller waterfall, very nice but not as grand as Jimenoa, called el Salto Baiguate.

The Baiguate Waterfall is a short walk from the parking lot down some steps. This should be no problem with your young one. The ride is a bit rough from the main road though, a SUV would be recommended but is not totally necessary. Although dwarfed by Jimenoa, Baiguate has its own charm and a large swimming hole to cool off.

Jarabacoa is my favorite day trip to escape Santo Domingo, and although Jimenoa always comes first, I never leave without at least a quick stop at Baiguate.

The waterfall is located just off the Jimenoa/Constanza highway. There is a small sign on the man road, but you might have to ask. The locals are very helpful in Jarabacoa and everyone knows of Baiguate. Have fun!

eltigre

Mar 23, 2008
I recommend going and seeing Vista de Yaque, about ten minutes past the center of Jarabacoa, beautiful river where you can sit and have a beer..

BermudaRum

Bronze
Oct 9, 2007
B]Jarabacoa is my favorite day trip to escape Santo Domingo, and although Jimenoa always comes first, I never leave without at least a quick stop at Baiguate.[/B]I agree they are the best organized company that I have seen here in DR. the raft operators are excellant and funny. The cost was US$50 each and can be booked on line or at thier facility. It includes a breakfast and great Dominican Lunch after your rafting. During lunch you will be shown a video of your day (US$35) and also they display 5x8 photos of your rafting journey for US$5. The tour leaves at 10am and returns 3pm, but be there before 9am.
Also the horse back / waterfall ride was fun as you have 1 hour of swimming at the waterfall site and you get to meet some locals along the way.;)

Google rancho baquete for any additional info......

tjmurray

Bronze
Aug 11, 2006
B]Jarabacoa is my favorite day trip to escape Santo Domingo, and although Jimenoa always comes first, I never leave without at least a quick stop at Baiguate.[/B]I agree they are the best organized company that I have seen here in DR. the raft operators are excellant and funny. The cost was US$50 each and can be booked on line or at thier facility. It includes a breakfast and great Dominican Lunch after your rafting. During lunch you will be shown a video of your day (US$35) and also they display 5x8 photos of your rafting journey for US$5. The tour leaves at 10am and returns 3pm, but be there before 9am.
Also the horse back / waterfall ride was fun as you have 1 hour of swimming at the waterfall site and you get to meet some locals along the way.;)

Google rancho baquete for any additional info......

What are you talking about? I did not suggest any tour. Jarabacoa is best seen on your own, like any independent traveling experience.