WHO ??? Was Gaspar Hernandez ???

Status
Not open for further replies.

rover

Aug 19, 2007
OK we all know or have heard of the town but my curiosity got me to wondering who was Gaspar Hernandez and what did he do that this town was named after him.

I have asked several people one of whom lives in Gaspar Hernandez but knowbody seems to know.

rover

Aug 19, 2007
OK we all know or have heard of the town but my curiosity got me to wondering who was Gaspar Hernandez and what did he do that this town was named after him.

I have asked several people one of whom lives in Gaspar Hernandez but knowbody seems to know.

The spanish in the one reply is a little over my head and it seems mostly to do with the geography of the town. So to just see if anyone else has any input just wanted to reserect this post

Rocky

Honorificabilitudinitatibus
Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
The spanish in the one reply is a little over my head and it seems mostly to do with the geography of the town. So to just see if anyone else has any input just wanted to reserect this post
Step 1) Open an online translating program.
Step 2) Translate the text from the link provided to you.
Step 3) Read said text, "Gaspar Hernandez, name that takes the population, was given in honor of a foreign priest who came to the country and performed countless works of social good.
Step 4) Write a short thank you note to the poster who provided you with the link to the information you required.

sweetdbt

Bronze
Sep 17, 2004
Step 6) Go to Google.com
Step 7) Enter Gaspar Hernandez and other pertenant words like priest, dominican, peruvian, etc.

Step 8) Click "Google search" and follow the links that look promising.

Pickings are slim, but in a couple of minutes I verified that he was Peruvian and discovered that a book he wrote in 1853 had a profound effect on Duarte and the prominant role of Catholicism in his vision of Dominican society.

Rocky

Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
Step 6) Go to Google.com
Step 7) Enter Gaspar Hernandez and other pertenant words like priest, dominican, peruvian, etc.

Step 8) Click "Google search" and follow the links that look promising.

Pickings are slim, but in a couple of minutes I verified that he was Peruvian and discovered that a book he wrote in 1853 had a profound effect on Duarte and the prominant role of Catholicism in his vision of Dominican society.
That's the second part.
:chinese: I thought a lesson in manners and courtesy should come first, before giving him surfing lessons.:chinese:

rover

Aug 19, 2007
That's the second part.
:chinese: I thought a lesson in manners and courtesy should come first, before giving him surfing lessons.:chinese:

WOW !!! Touchy , Touchy.

1. I said the spanish was a little over my head so obviuosly I opened the liknk. duuuuuuuh

2. I did the translator thing but as anyone who has used one knows the translation can be very sketchy. duuuuuuuuuuuuuuh

3. I did a google search and didn't find anything (in english). If you had better luck than me...good for you and "THANKS" for sharing

4. Just thought it would be an interesting topic as it peaked my curiosityand thought it may be of intrest to others as well. I also thought maybe someone on the board would just know from previous knowledge. Didn't mean for anyone to begin researching it unless they wanted to as this may have now peaked their curiosity as well.
Why jump all over someone for that and act like such pompess asses ?

5. In case you don't know it, though you may post alot this is not your board, though you sometimes act like it is.....reality check..maybe ?

Last edited:

Rocky

Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
WOW !!! Touchy , Touchy.

1. I said the spanish was a little over my head so obviuosly I opened the liknk. duuuuuuuh

2. I did the translator thing but as anyone who has used one knows the translation can be very sketchy. duuuuuuuuuuuuuuh

3. As I said in my very first post I did a google search and didn't find anything (in english). If you had better luck than me...good for you and "THANKS" for sharing

4. Just thought it would be an interesting topic as it peaked my curiosityand thought it may be of intrest to others. Why jump all over someone for that and act like such pompess asses ?

5. In case you don't know it though you may post alot its not your board though you sometimes act like it is.....reality check..maybe ?
Not to worry dude.
I can take your criticism.
I was being pompous (notice the correct spelling) and deserved you chastising me.
Of course, I was only being pompous in response to you being rude, if that makes any difference.

rover

Aug 19, 2007
Not to worry dude.
I can take your criticism.
I was being pompous (notice the correct spelling) and deserved you chastising me.
Of course, I was only being pompous in response to you being rude, if that makes any difference.

Really don't know how I was being rude ?? ....... I respond to many posts on boards with information to questions and don't expect a thanks though I'll admit it is a nice gesture ............ But whatever ....still seemed a like a little over-reaction. Sorry if I offended anyone

Rocky

Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
Really don't know how I was being rude ?? ....... I respond to many posts on boards with information to questions and don't expect a thanks though I'll admit it is a nice gesture ............ But whatever ....still seemed a like a little over-reaction. Sorry if I offended anyone
And I'm sorry to have offended you.
It's just that I recognize how hard Lambada works to assist others.
She selflessly researches things for folks, when they could have done it themselves.
I highly respect her and value all the assistance she gives us, so I felt protective, thus my response.

Lambada

Gold
Mar 4, 2004
www.ginniebedggood.com
I highly respect her and value all the assistance she gives us, so I felt protective, thus my response.

Thank you for that Rocky. I have to admit when I saw rover's initial response to you I found it somewhat revealing and was not going to post any of the other info I have about Gaspar Hernandez. However, he has redeemed him/herself by apologising so I am somewhat more motivated to start again.

Yes the amount showing up in English on Gaspar Hernandez is limited so I searched in Spanish & there is a lot. The best source which I found is (unsurprisingly) the Dominican Academy of History
Academia Dominicana de la Historia
particularly the archives which you can search through to your heart's content. You can also write to them for information
info@academiahistoria.org.do

You will need to apply an online translation if you don't read Spanish but here is a fascinating article: El padre Gaspar Hern?ndez Morales, M. I. (1798-1858) y su verdadero aporte al movimiento independentista by Jos? Luis S?ez Ramo
http://clio.academiahistoria.org.do/trabajos/clio165/tema9-jlsr.pdf

Another good article to look up is also in the archives. Enrique D. Tovar R. Un obstinado realista. Rasgos biogr?ficos del cl?rigo lime?o Gaspar Hern?ndez?, Cl?o A?o XI, Nos. 65-67, Santo Domingo, septiembre-diciembre de 1944, pp.
143-172.

Both of these highlight the contribution to the DR's political thinking & development made by Padre Gaspar Hernandez.

rover

Aug 19, 2007
Thank you for that Rocky. I have to admit when I saw rover's initial response to you I found it somewhat revealing and was not going to post any of the other info I have about Gaspar Hernandez. However, he has redeemed him/herself by apologising so I am somewhat more motivated to start again.

Yes the amount showing up in English on Gaspar Hernandez is limited so I searched in Spanish & there is a lot. The best source which I found is (unsurprisingly) the Dominican Academy of History
Academia Dominicana de la Historia
particularly the archives which you can search through to your heart's content. You can also write to them for information
info@academiahistoria.org.do

You will need to apply an online translation if you don't read Spanish but here is a fascinating article: El padre Gaspar Hern?ndez Morales, M. I. (1798-1858) y su verdadero aporte al movimiento independentista by Jos? Luis S?ez Ramo
http://clio.academiahistoria.org.do/trabajos/clio165/tema9-jlsr.pdf

Another good article to look up is also in the archives. Enrique D. Tovar R. Un obstinado realista. Rasgos biogr?ficos del cl?rigo lime?o Gaspar Hern?ndez?, Cl?o A?o XI, Nos. 65-67, Santo Domingo, septiembre-diciembre de 1944, pp.
143-172.

Both of these highlight the contribution to the DR's political thinking & development made by Padre Gaspar Hernandez.

Seems you have done some real digging Lambada and your efforts are appreciated.

Now I recall what my problem was when I read your first post. The first article as well as the article you have recommended here open up in an adobe type window and one therefore cannot copy and paste the text to a translator. Maybe there is another way to accomplish the translation and if someone knows I'm all ears.

Anyway I've gotten a basic grasp on who the individual is now and so once again thanks.

Though I still even after re-reading this thread fail to see how I had insulted or offended anyone I'm glad some people seem to have accepted my apology and hope all parties that felt injured by my inquiry are once again made whole by it as well.

Rocky

Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
The first article as well as the article you have recommended here open up in an adobe type window and one therefore cannot copy and paste the text to a translator. Maybe there is another way to accomplish the translation and if someone knows I'm all ears.
To the best of my knowledge, there is no way to copy and paste from Adobe documents.
When I posted that translation for you, I had first typed out the text from the pdf document into the translating program.
It may be time consuming but it is the only way, if you truly want to understand the info provided.
If your monitor is a decent size, it is fairly easy to have both the document and the online translator opened at the same time, for easy copying.

Tamborista

hasta la tambora
Apr 4, 2005

rover

Aug 19, 2007
Hell I just realized something. Rocky you are largely responsible for this entire thread, Did you know that ??

I got to being curious about Who is Gasper Hernanadez after speaking to your waitress Anna. When she told me she was from Gaspar Hernandez I asked her who he was and she didn't know so that got my wheels spining.

If I would have remebered that earlier I would have insisted that you translate the whole damn thing. ... ja ja just kidding.

Small world heah !!!!!

Thanks Tamborista I'll try that now.

Rocky

Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
"Gaspar Hern?ndez fue fundado con el nombre de Joba y erigido en com?n en el a?o 1907 en el gobierno del General
Ram?n C?ceres."
http://www.provinciasdominicanas.org/index2.php?option=com_content&do_pdf=1&id=4432

Click edit, "select all", right click the highlighted text, left click copy, right click paste onto the translator or word doc!

Enjoy Gaspar Hernandez,

tambo'
Thanks Tambo,
I don't happen to have the copy option with the right mouse click, but it is available in the edit options and works fine.
Muchas gracias.

Lambada

Gold
Mar 4, 2004
www.ginniebedggood.com
Anyway I've gotten a basic grasp on who the individual is now and so once again thanks.

Though I still even after re-reading this thread fail to see how I had insulted or offended anyone I'm glad some people seem to have accepted my apology and hope all parties that felt injured by my inquiry are once again made whole by it as well.

I'm glad you found it helpful. Just to clarify, no-one felt injured by your inquiry. It was your reaction in subsequent posts which indicated a need to come out swinging which is not perhaps all that.........er..... conducive to academic research where we absorb, reflect, cogitate.............and then come out swinging but in the line of substantive debate :) I jest, I jest.

Anyway, all's well that ends well & everyone is now getting on famously. Splendid! ;)

And I have a question for Tambo if it isn't going too much off topic..........Tambo can one copy the whole Adobe doc to a Word doc & go straight into the Microsoft office translator?

Tamborista

hasta la tambora
Apr 4, 2005
And I have a question for Tambo if it isn't going too much off topic..........Tambo can one copy the whole Adobe doc to a Word doc & go straight into the Microsoft office translator?

I was able to cut and paste a few pages into a Word doc...... You can then translate it with the MS office translator!

tambo'

**The translator needs to be installed previously on Word.

rover

Aug 19, 2007
I don't have MS Office, I just have good old MS word. Anyone know if there is a translatar that can be downloaded for that ?

Status
Not open for further replies.