Punta Cana airport - Uvero Alto resorts

drmaniac

Jun 26, 2008
Hi there!
Is there a cheaper way than taxi to go from Punta Cana airport to Sirenis resort in Uvero Alto (they listed 75 dollars!!!!)????
Thnx

Ps. moreover, does anyone has any mail contact of Sirenis?

KateP

Silver
May 28, 2004
US$70-75 is the normal rate to Sirenis. It IS about 1 hour away on not so good roads so the rate is not bad for this area. I don't have an email address for them but I do have the local phone number (809) 688-6490. I'm going over next week with my mom that's coming down on vacation and I'll post the review while I'm there. When are you going?

MikeFisher

The Fisherman/Weather Mod
Feb 28, 2006
Punta Cana/DR
www.mikefisher.fun
hey Kate,
happy vaca with mom, enjoy the brake
Maniac,
july 1st 2008 the transportation association raised the rates by 30% due to the drsatically risen fuel rates.
i mean even the airlines take fuel surcharges since they can not hold prior calculated rates/costs.
i paid at the beginning of the year $3.75.- per US Gallon Diesel here at the Marina to fuel my boats, now i pay $5.60.- per Gallon, that's a 50% raise in fuels.
happy travel
Mike

drmaniac

Jun 26, 2008
Gosh! It' so expensive to reach Sirenis???!!!! At these rates, I am going to pay more to reach the resort than for the accomodation itself! I booked it on sale on the internet at 49 dollars for guest for night!!!!! I thought it was a deal but now I am not so sure anymore: maybe it would have been better choice to book a resort in the sourroundings of the airport...

Is there any chance to ask someone a lift to Sirenis outside the airport for less???? or to go there by public transport????
I am going there on the 8th of August, so If you can take any information on that when you will be there with your mom, please post here...
Thnx a lot

Ps...first time in DR. When outside the Punta Cana airport, where I can find a taxi going to Uvero Alto? Is there a taxi stop there?

PJT

Silver
Jan 8, 2002
There are taxi's at the airport, taxi stand is to the left of the arrival terminal exit as you leave the building. You don't need to find them, they will find you.

Enjoy your visit.

Regards,
PJT

MikeFisher

Feb 28, 2006
Punta Cana/DR
www.mikefisher.fun
exactly like PCT wrote,
the cabbies are right there, nd all within the same association, so rates areequal.
but the above mentioned rates to uvero alto are not per person rates like your hotel accomodation, they are per ride and for up to 5 persons.
maybe you enter one of the punta cana travel forums and ask for people who come in on your flight and stay at your resort or at a neighboured resort in uvero alto(they are all on one strip) to share the transfer with them.
that's done often, 2 couples share one ride, so costs are just half for each couple.
have fun
Mike

KateP

Silver
May 28, 2004
Back from Sirenis and a week with perfect weather. Other than that I can't say the rest was that perfect... :( The drive up to Sirenis is horrible! I thought my poor Peugeot was going to fall apart before we got there (US$75 for a taxi is not enough I would say if you look at the road condition!!!). On the way back we went by La Otra Banda and that was much smoother and quicker, so I personally recommend that route.

The major down points of our stay were:

1. Slow check-in, being sent from one side to the other of the lobby due to lack of staff. (6:00pm) US$50 deposit (cash only) for the safety deposit box + daily cost. Don't know why they don't simply take a credit card imprint....

2. After 4 calls to the reception on the evening of the first day and morning of the second day to report the air conditioning wasn't dropping under 25C, a Maintenance guy finally showed us another room which appeared slightly better. The move was made at 9:00pm.

3. Almost same problem with the air conditioning in the new room. More complaining in person at the reception and gave a quick training on what customer service is and how other hotels in the area are doing it... finally got shown 4 different rooms with the last one have more reasonable air temperature of 23C. That's where we finally stayed.

4. Restaurants: Due to low occupancy, only 1 buffet restaurant was open daily. Upon check-in, we asked about lunch and were informed that we would have to come up to the buffet close to the reception area because it was the only one open. Found out on the 3rd day that the restaurant by the pool was open for lunch daily also...

5. Weekends: Pure hell!!!! The hotel fills up with Dominicans on the weekends and their one goal is to ruin a nice vacation. Don't take me wrong, I love this country and its people but it was just a bit too much for me. No respect around the pool area with splashing people, pushing and cutting in line at the buffet restaurants, shouting and loud talking wherever we went... dear god, that was NOT relaxing.

6. Theater: Mosquito city. We only went twice and ended up getting our feet all chewed up. I stayed for a show one night and it was pretty sad. The kid's show has the same 5 songs as all the other hotels in the area. Someone should really think up some new ideas!!!!

Pros:
Nice, wide beach with plenty of shade. Great for those that like to walk a lot.
Rooms of nice size and amenities.
In general nice staff who were happy to help out. (bellboy Ruiz, reception supervisor Junior and waiter Pedro were very helpful)
Local music in all the areas with a nice variety.
Food was ok in the restaurants. Buffet had a reasonable variety.
Always a good stock of water and sofdrinks in the room bar.

Would I go back? Definitely not unless it was free. I've been to 8 or 9 hotels in the PC area so far and this one unfortunately is on my black list.

MikeFisher

Feb 28, 2006
Punta Cana/DR
www.mikefisher.fun
hey Kate,
sorry that the family visit ended up in a not so nice stay,
i know you've been looking forward to that soo hard.
luckily the resort been not on hig capacity like many others are at the moment, otherwise a room change (twice) would not been possible, and an AC which heats your room above the shady outside temps can be a ...
s'y' around in PC
Mike

robbie

Bronze
Aug 3, 2006
We went up to Uvero Alto last week, there is one corner where there is no road left!!!! Just big bumpy holes!! The word is the road will be redone between Bavaro and Uver Alto in the next couple of years, but until then:ermm:

MikeFisher

Feb 28, 2006
Punta Cana/DR
www.mikefisher.fun
the next couple years Robbie????
just one waterfilled tropical storm bringing rain 3-5 days over that road and i guarantee you that not even a good 4x4 will pass there, traffic will be stopped permanently right away, the would need to bring the visitors from there by helicopters to the airport or driving the long way over La Otra Banda and from there to the airport, ha ha
Mike

KateP

Silver
May 28, 2004
the next couple years Robbie????
just one waterfilled tropical storm bringing rain 3-5 days over that road and i guarantee you that not even a good 4x4 will pass there, traffic will be stopped permanently right away, the would need to bring the visitors from there by helicopters to the airport or driving the long way over La Otra Banda and from there to the airport, ha ha
Mike

I actually recommend that everyone go by La Otra Banda to get there. It took me 25 minutes less and didn't come close to destroying my car. It's sad to see a tourist area with roads like this... pretty much everything from La Romana to Uvero Alto is in bad shape.

MikeFisher

Feb 28, 2006
Punta Cana/DR
www.mikefisher.fun
hi Katy,
fully agree on the part around Macao when driving from bavaro/punta cana to uvero alto,
but i disagree on the rest of the area.
yeahh, the roads are far from beeing named a "outside of the country" standard, but in the bavaro area they are in much better shape than they've been during the years before.
lets hope they finish the Boulevard one day within this millenium, would make a huge difference. from la romana over here is just needed the road around Higuey with a average condition of the part from la otra banda over here, would be a huge improvement. even happy with many improvements of the actual gov party over the ..... of the hipolito area, a slower construction of the f... Metro would free money to build roads throuout the island in a quality which lasts more than just til after the next rainfall.
heck, we know where we are.
p'lante nosvamos
Mike