how to open a small colmado/hang out spot

domenico

Jan 4, 2004
me and a friend are looking to open a small colmado/hang out spot. what are the legal means in DR to open one up.

suarezn

Gold
Feb 3, 2002
Buy a place, fill it up with provisions, get a radio, big speakers, plastic chairs and tables, and voila you've got a Colmado...No legal requirements needed, except the occasional payout to the police for "protection"

Oh...and put up one of those signs that says "Hoy no fio, manana si..."

sylindr

Nov 29, 2007
Buy a place, fill it up with provisions, get a radio, big speakers, plastic chairs and tables, and voila you've got a Colmado...No legal requirements needed, except the occasional payout to the police for "protection"

Oh...and put up one of those signs that says "Hoy no fio, manana si..."

Don't for get the Dominos table!

MikeFisher

The Fisherman/Weather Mod
Feb 28, 2006
Punta Cana/DR
www.mikefisher.fun
yeap,
those are the most important requisits:
* the sign hoy no hay fiao, manana si
* big speakers so the music can be clearly heard a 500 meters aside, make sure they are loud enough so a conversation between 2 seat neighbours is impossible, that makes it perfect
*Dominoes tables, make sure to get the big presidente at the table (they play for it) paid before it is empty, so it doesn't matter for you who wins or not, lol
* the protection costs you some cold ones once in a while or some pesos, usually no problem on that, stick with locals to be up to date with"rates"
--- the stuff is really very different depending on where you wanna open your little hang-out.
in what area you are located?
have fun
Mike

Matilda

RIP Lindsay
Sep 13, 2006
I have a colmado. Legally you need to register with impuesto interno. Then with salud publica. If you have a sign outside you have to pay for that. If you are in a tourist area you need a tourist licence. Then get your number from Presidente, so you can buy from them, a couple of ice freezers and sort that out. A Presidente fridge, a coca cola fridge, a Rica fridge, a secret fridge for Brahma as you can't put it in the presidente fridge, Frito ley stand, Helado Bon fridge and off you go.

Good luck

Matilda

RIP Lindsay
Sep 13, 2006
Plus hammer to make holes in tables to put umbrellas in and something to make hole in concrete under table for end of umbrella or umbrellas and tables go flying off down street on regular basis.

And I forgot water cages of at least 4 makes as people are fussy and loads of padlocks for water cages and ice freezers. and lots of dominoes as they tend to walk all the time. Cable Tv for baseball and some sort of wrestling they go mad for, phone for home deliveries, stereo for loud music, and lots of plastic dustbins for rice, sugar, flour, beans, fab etc.

Matilda

domenico

Jan 4, 2004
gracias matilda, thank you matilda. can you tell me where i would need to get all this paperwork

Matilda

RIP Lindsay
Sep 13, 2006
gracias matilda, thank you matilda. can you tell me where i would need to get all this paperwork

Go to your local office of impuestos interno, and the tourist police if you are in tourist zone. I forgot you will also need to go to the labour office to register your employees for social security if you have any. To be honest your easiest bet will be to get a decent lawyer to do the work for you. Don't worry about the sign if you have one outside as the sign people will find you!! You will then need to contact Presidente and all of the suppliers. Some will not deliver straight away - you need to get a code first. You will also be lucky if they let you have a fridge and tables etc. Sometimes you have to wait a long time for that. Find out where your local almacen is to buy from in the beginning.

Where are you hoping to open??

domenico

Jan 4, 2004
im looking within 3-5 years when i save up capital, im already close to purchasing a home there so hopefully i can set up something that i can be self sufficent in

MikeFisher

Feb 28, 2006
Punta Cana/DR
www.mikefisher.fun
he he,
but I would guess a Colmado and a Biker's Bar are a bit of 2 different world's, aren't they?
at least the Bars I frequented on 20 years of Biking been a bit very different to the Colmados I now down here on the Isle, Yiokes

anyways

Cheers on the good drinks, where ever they may be served

Mike

Matilda

RIP Lindsay
Sep 13, 2006
how is/was it running a calmado?

Manu

Very hard work, good fun though. Open at 7am closed at 11pm or later, 365 days a year. Main problems were people who didn't pay their bills - almost always expats. Lots of laughter, lots of fun. Frustrations with suppliers not turning up when they said they would, fridges breaking down, and don't get me started on the electricity issues.

Matilda

MikeFisher

Feb 28, 2006
Punta Cana/DR
www.mikefisher.fun
Mike,

I think I can count the real "bikers" here on one hand, there ain't many. They're all a bunch of "wannabe's" (I could tell you stories)

Open up a colmado/bar, throw some old parts up on the walls, and "wallah" - biker bar. A lot of guys are after me to do it, but one successful bar was enough for me.

that's right, JD.
I never met not even one real Biker here on the Island, not even within the every Year Visiting Puerto Rican Biker Crowd.

and the Isle does anyways not porovide any streets where You could Bike for long Hours on scenic Rides or Highways where a Fast Bike could gain some speed. typing this I miss my German Autobahns without a speedlimit, but on the other hand Today's due Age I would not dare to ride 200mphr again anyways, but sweet memories.

Mike